GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Mafia101, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,590
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,063
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,441
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36979
02/17/06 07:37 PM
02/17/06 07:37 PM
once again, Buffalo, NY!
ChrisY2J Offline OP
Underboss
ChrisY2J  Offline OP
Underboss
once again, Buffalo, NY!
I was watching Part II for the hundredth time the other night. I'm curious about something, and hopefully someone can help out.

At the Senate hearing where Frank Pentangeli recants his statements about Michael, what does Tom whisper to Frankie's brother?

"Keep your body strong, your blood clean, and your mind sharp and mean." Henry Rollins
Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36980
02/17/06 08:13 PM
02/17/06 08:13 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
He tells Vincenzo " sta posto" which translates into everything is fine, everything is ok. In other words he's telling him that his brother Frank did not testify against Michael, that the "family honor" was safe and intact.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36981
02/18/06 10:07 AM
02/18/06 10:07 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Speaking of that particular scene...I always enjoy the way Tom literally grandstands just prior to speaking to Frankie's brother...

"SENATOR! This committee owes an apology - an apology SENATOR!...." And then simply sits down to quietly reassure the old man. As if he knows he will be ignored but must nonetheless take a stand on behalf of his Don.

In a way, very uncharacteristic of Tom himself but also an expected action of the role he plays in the Family.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36982
02/19/06 07:42 AM
02/19/06 07:42 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
Yea I also always found that scene an especially interesting one when it came to Tom, because him shouting like that is really out of character. I always wondered whether Michael dissapporoved of this outburst at all, but it seems as though he was alright with it, and may have even instructed Tom to do something of that sort.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36983
02/19/06 03:24 PM
02/19/06 03:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think his outburst was an opportunity for him to emote outside the family. Inside the family, he always comported himself with restraint. But in that scene he was dealing with outsiders who he knew couldn't harm him, so he let go.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36984
02/19/06 03:50 PM
02/19/06 03:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
It was typical lawyer style grandstanding. And a smart strategy by Tom to display that kind of emotion.

It was a show for the public and the press. As if to say "See, I told you my client was innocent! I told you all along that this hearing and these accusations were an outrage, now don't ever bother him again!"

If Tom would have quietly walked away, how would that have looked? It may have given the appearance that he and the Corleones had just dodged a bullet, (which they did of course) and that they were quietly realizing that they just got away with it.

But by making that small scene, it gave the appearance that he and the Corleones were appalled that these accusations had even been made against Michael in the first place.

Gotti's lawyers did exactly the same thing when Gotti was aquitted in his trials.

It's the smart move.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36985
02/20/06 02:26 AM
02/20/06 02:26 AM
CHICAGO,IL
CASTRO Offline
Associate
CASTRO  Offline
Associate
CHICAGO,IL
TOM HAGEN WAS A GENIUS AS A LAWYER,TAKES SOME SERIOUS SAVY TO JUMP THROUGH THE HOOPS LIKE HE DID AND COME OUT UNSCAVED. NO ONE EVER DID JAIL TIME DUE TO A HAGEN SLIP UP. I LIKE THE WAY HAGEN DISPLAYED TOTAL LAWYER SKILLS IN EXPLAINING TO KAY THAT HE COULD NOT TAKE HER LETTER SHE HAD WRITTEN TO MICHAEL FOR IF HE HAD IT WOULD IMPLY THAT HE KNEW OF MIKE,S WHEREABOUTS. REAL SMOOTH! cool
KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE, BUT KEEP YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36986
02/20/06 10:23 AM
02/20/06 10:23 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by CASTRO:
...NO ONE EVER DID JAIL TIME DUE TO A HAGEN SLIP UP...
That may be true...but we must not forget that Santino eventually died due at least in part to a 'Hagen slip-up'.
As is detailed in the novel (dammit, there I go referencing the novel again)...the setup of Sonny was enabled because things had calmed down in the war between the families, leading Tom and The Corleones into a lull and off their guard. Sonny was led into a trap that could have been prevented.

So it's true...though his skill as a lawyer shined through in those hearings years later, Tom was just not a 'wartime consiglieri'.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36987
02/20/06 12:59 PM
02/20/06 12:59 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Tom is echoing what Michael asked previously... to restore his good name with the energy with which they had besmirched it. Tom knew there was going to be no apology, but he also knew this outburst would probably be reported in the press...after all they did have newspaper people on the payroll. The fact that he could calmly sit down right away, and tell Frankie's brother that his family honor was intact shows what a good lawyer he was. Good lawyers NEVER lose their temper in court, and if they appear to it is all for show.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36988
02/21/06 01:53 AM
02/21/06 01:53 AM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
Santino's death was his own fault. He brought Carlo into the family, he insulted Carlo at the table and treated him in such a way that Carlo turned traitor, he was too hot headed and ignored Tom when Tom warned him against taking off without guards.

How can Tom be held accountable as not a wartime consigliere and a non-Sicillian when the Sicillians totally overlooked it as well?

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36989
02/22/06 02:57 PM
02/22/06 02:57 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I am not one who thinks Mike or anyone held Sonny's death against Tom. Maybe Tom felt guilty himself, but at several points there is evidence that Mike and Vito did not blame Tom. When Mike moves Tom out Vito goes out of his way to say his dead son was a bad don, and that Tom was not a bad consigliere. In GFII Michael says he has kept things from Tom not because he did not trust him but because he respected him.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36990
02/22/06 03:19 PM
02/22/06 03:19 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Here I go again ... but the novel goes into interesting detail as to why Tom WAS at least in part responsible for allowing Santino's death. Because he was not a wartime Consiglieri and he did not foresee what Genco might have foreseen. Tom knew it and Vito knew it although he never once openly mentioned Tom or let Tom feel that he blamed Tom in any way.

Yes it was Sonny's short temper that did him in but there were other factors as well.

Of course, the movie touches on none of this except very slightly when Tom is declared 'out' by Michael much later on.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36991
02/22/06 08:14 PM
02/22/06 08:14 PM
CHICAGO,IL
CASTRO Offline
Associate
CASTRO  Offline
Associate
CHICAGO,IL
WE ALL KNOW THAT SANTINO WAS A BAD DON. TOM HAGEN COULD ONLY ADVISE HIM BUT SANTINO DID NOTHING TO LISTEN TO TOM. BESIDES TOM WAS JUST THE LAWYER AND THE HAND OF POWER WAS GIVEN TO SANTINO, WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILTY. SANTINO MADE EVERYTHING PERSONAL NOT BUSINESS. TOM WAS ABOUT BUSINESS.SORRY. TOM WAS ONE OF THE FAMILIES GREA
"I SAID ILL HANDLE IT, ILL HANDLE IT"
TEST ASSETS.

Re: Tom Hagen and Vincenzo Pentangeli #36992
02/22/06 08:15 PM
02/22/06 08:15 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
No, I still feel that Tom was just availaing himself of the opportunity to emote. Such emoting was totally out of character for him which may have been due to the fact that he suppressed his emotions. No, I think he just yelled at the Committee because there were would be no consequences and he was getting things out of his system.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull