GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,948
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,341
Posts1,058,943
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" #587744
12/10/10 12:24 PM
12/10/10 12:24 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
wasn't it awful naïve of Connie to think Fredo drowned? Obviously the body was fished out after his "drowning," wouldn't the big bullet hole in his head have been evident?

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #587746
12/10/10 01:21 PM
12/10/10 01:21 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sure the body was never found. That was the point of shooting him in the middle of the lake.

In any case, I think Connie knew full well what the deal was. Her reference to Fredo drowning in GFIII was an attempt to assuage Michael's guilt.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: The Last Woltz] #587750
12/10/10 02:00 PM
12/10/10 02:00 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
but, in III, Connie was utterly devoted to Michael. Why would she play those games? It sounded to me like she really believed Fredo drowned. And how deep could that lake be? Maybe, like Dexter, the currents in the water take corpses awwwwayyyy.

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #587754
12/10/10 02:11 PM
12/10/10 02:11 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think for the most she just wanted to believe Fredo only drowned, although she knew better than that.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #587758
12/10/10 02:20 PM
12/10/10 02:20 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The whole family was dysfunctional and like a lot of dysfunctional families, or like any family really, they wouldn't need to put everything out in the open. It would be too painful.

I mean can you imagine Connie on the psychiatrist's couch?

Dr. Melfi: So Connie. What's going on.

Connie: Where to start? I was a real spoiled Daddy's girl but my Daddy was a murderer. He also wouldn't protect me from my abusive husband who I loved mind you, and to whom I was introduced by my oldest brother, also a murderer, and who was killed by my husband. But then my next oldest brother murdered my husband. I used to think he only did it because my father had already passed away but the more I think about it I think my Daddy told him to do it. Anyway this brother made me beg him for money and over the years almost became a substitute Daddy for me. And then later on this brother murdered my only remaining brother although we all were told it was a boating accident. My adopted brother , who I'm pretty sure never murdered anyone is dead. And my niece and nephew are having an affair.

So all things considered, I'm doing great!!!

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #587762
12/10/10 02:56 PM
12/10/10 02:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
but, in III, Connie was utterly devoted to Michael. Why would she play those games? It sounded to me like she really believed Fredo drowned. And how deep could that lake be? Maybe, like Dexter, the currents in the water take corpses awwwwayyyy.

I think Connie was just telling Michael what he needed to hear because of that devotion. She knew full well what happened. She just didn't want Michael to worry himself into another diabetic stroke.

And for the record, Lake Tahoe is one of the deepest lakes in the entire country, and the tenth deepest in the world, measuring over 1600 feet in some spots. It's also said that the pressure in that deep a body of water often prevents corpses from creating the natural gases necessary for a corpse to float.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: pizzaboy] #587763
12/10/10 02:58 PM
12/10/10 02:58 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Michael was so pathetic in III, calling out his murdered brother's name "Fredo! Fredo!!" Doesn't ring true to me. That was Al Pacino acting as "Al Pacino," not Al Pacino acting like "Michael Corleone." Pah!

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #587766
12/10/10 03:50 PM
12/10/10 03:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Michael was so pathetic in III, calling out his murdered brother's name "Fredo! Fredo!!" Doesn't ring true to me. That was Al Pacino acting as "Al Pacino," not Al Pacino acting like "Michael Corleone." Pah!

If you think that, then you are missing one of the major themes of III - his struggle to reconcile the two Michael's one of which had murdered his brother. Calling out his brother's name was also a function of the deleterious effects of a diabetic stroke.

And to add to what PB and others have opined, Connie needed to lie to herself.

Last edited by olivant; 12/10/10 03:51 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: olivant] #587767
12/10/10 03:51 PM
12/10/10 03:51 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
oh! lol so you're the one who likes III. wink

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #588335
12/15/10 02:07 PM
12/15/10 02:07 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant

If you think that, then you are missing one of the major themes of III - his struggle to reconcile the two Michael's one of which had murdered his brother. Calling out his brother's name was also a function of the deleterious effects of a diabetic stroke.

And to add to what PB and others have opined, Connie needed to lie to herself.

Well said Olivant

oh! lol so you're the one who likes III. wink

He's not the only one. While I agree that it may have been a bit rushed as far as casting went and overall shooting, and in no way lives up to the reputation of GF and GFII by any means, for the most part I like the movie on it's own.

Like Olivant said if you are able to grasp the theme that Michael is growing older and is seeking redemption for the things that he did in his life, especially dealing with the guilt of ordering the murder of his father's son, his mother's son, then you can enjoy and appreciate the movie.

Although Michael is seeking redemption, looking to wash away the guilt that has begun to consume him, when push comes to shove he is the same Michael. All through the movie he says that he wants out, wants to release himself from his ties to organized crime, the commission, etc. But yet his controlling egotistical nature that dwells deep within himself is still there, it never goes away. He wants to control Immobiliare, and in his Michaelesque way he both uses Vincent for his own benefit and indirectly keeps a certain amount of control over Vincent.

Again, in my opinion GFIII is a good movie on it's own and one that may need to be viewed more than once in order to get and understand the struggles that Michael has within himself throughout the movie.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Don Cardi] #588384
12/15/10 09:36 PM
12/15/10 09:36 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Michael was particularly cruel to Connie in GF and II. In GF, Michael has her husband whacked on the day he stood godfather to their son. In the novel, Hagen explains to Kay that standing godfather was Connie's idea, not Michael's, as if that justified the awful hurt. In II, it's Connie who begs Michael to forgive Fredo. Fredo's reinstatement at the Tahoe compound, which put him in Michael's trap 24/7, was Connie's doing.
So, Connie might have gone stark raving mad from guilt if she came fully to grips with how Michael used her and her feelings. Rather than deal with that, she convinced herself that Fredo "drowned." cry

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Turnbull] #588390
12/15/10 10:34 PM
12/15/10 10:34 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Michael was particularly cruel to Connie in GF and II. In GF, Michael has her husband whacked on the day he stood godfather to their son.

So what? Carlo had to be killed sometime. Michael certainly wasn't as "cruel" to Connie for doing it on that day as Carlo had been to her. After all, Carlo knowingly played a critical role in Sonny's death (that, of course, is why he was killed), in addition to beating Connie repeatedly. And it's not as though Connie would have been dramatically less affected if Michael had chosen a different day to do it.

Last edited by VitoC; 12/15/10 10:35 PM.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: VitoC] #588392
12/15/10 11:08 PM
12/15/10 11:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Vito, of course Carlo had to be whacked rolleyes. My point was not the timing per se, but the fact that (through Tom) Michael tried to put the timing on Connie. He could have chosen to have Carlo whacked at another time with no problem.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Turnbull] #588395
12/15/10 11:33 PM
12/15/10 11:33 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
I think Connie was in denial because its a horrible thought to think that your brother did a evil thing by ordering the death of your other brother

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: JCrusher] #588559
12/17/10 12:10 PM
12/17/10 12:10 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
If you take her comment in context it is clear she knew Michael killed Fredo.

Michael had just told Connie, much to her surprise that he had made hs confession to a priest. Once she digests this, out of the blue she make a comment about "poor Fredo" drowning. This was her way of telling Michael that even if he confessed to the murder of Fredo, the story Michael had given the family would stand and that she would not break what amounted to Omerta.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: was Connie that naive re: Fredo "drowning?" [Re: Buttmunker] #588919
12/21/10 11:45 PM
12/21/10 11:45 PM
NY (upstate)
Kuklinski Offline
Wiseguy
Kuklinski  Offline
Wiseguy
NY (upstate)

“I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid.” ~John Gotti

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull