GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 360 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. #587621
12/09/10 10:34 AM
12/09/10 10:34 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
I think poor Frankie Five Angels should have got a "pass" as he was DECEIVED into thinking The Corleone Family was behind his being whacked.

Of course, there were no witnesses to collaborate with Frank Pantanglle.

The poor old guy just wanted to live out his life with his apparently nice and caring wife, but fate stepped in and gave Frank a harsh judgement for his past dastardly deeds (for which I'm sure there were many).

we're made to care about Frank, yet the man was a murderer. However, they only killed their own kind, right? So, what? I don't know. I say, "poor Frankie Five Angels." He never did anything to me.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587651
12/09/10 01:54 PM
12/09/10 01:54 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Frankie was an exceptionally sympatico character--a small-timer caught between two titans, Michael and Roth. And he was a victim in more ways than one. Michael roughly threw aside Frankie's loyalty to him by favoring the Rosatos and Roth, because he was greedy for Roth's Havana deal. And, Michael cruelly manipulated Frankie into meeting with the Rosatos--in effect, putting Frankie's head in the lion's mouth--so he could either get rid of a vexing problem (if frankie settled with them); or, if killed, further proof that Roth was behind the Tahoe attack.

BUT:
Frankie broke omerta by agreeing to testify against Michael. He couldn't be given a pass. The nominal reason is that Michael had to make an example--no one can betray him and live. And, although Frankie's credibility as a witness against Michael was shattered by his renunciation of his affidavit, the Feds weren't going to keep him on the government's tit forever. They'd keep hammering him for more and more information about Michael. Sonner or later, they'd get something that they could act on without having to use Frankie as a witness.

BTW: It was too bad Paramount couldn't get Richard Castellano for II. But Michael V. Gazzo was a worthy substitute. IMO, he made II.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Turnbull] #587701
12/09/10 06:48 PM
12/09/10 06:48 PM
D
Desertwolf Offline
Button
Desertwolf  Offline
D
Button

I agree with TB to a great degree; but there is one more thing: the betrayal of omerta meant that Frankie Five-Angles was (from that point onwards) nothing in the mob world. He made enemies in the business, but was no longer a Don or protected. he would've died by any number of hands if he was on the outside or in a regular jail.

The Feds wouldn't have put him under such protection forever, now that he ruined their case for them he is no longer a "witness", Michael could've waited and killed him one way or the other when transferred to a regular jail.

BUT, If you recall Tom's visit to him, and the talk about Roman customs, it was to tell him that his family will be taken care of -something Michael didn't really need to do for a traitor, right?

Frankie committed a cardinal sin; he talked, for that he had to pay, but if he killed himself, his family will be taken care of - that's the way Michael shows that he "sympathizes" with him (as much a mafia boss can sympathize).... the other thing is sending a high-ranking member of the family to talk to him (Tom).... reminiscing on the old days, no threats, no "how could you?" .... but very friendly-like, that means RESPECT.

Finally, suicide does not send a message regarding Michael's retribution towards traitors, it does not "Make an Example"..... that's what a brutal bloody death does....

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Desertwolf] #587718
12/09/10 10:49 PM
12/09/10 10:49 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Frankie was a loyal mobster and wanted to help Mike get rid of Roth. its obvious Michael got too greedy and let that power that he was given get to his head. He reminds me of Paul castellano because despite a few guys like Neri and Tom he mostly "ate alone" when it came to other mobsters in his family. Vito was more respected. Anyway getting back to Frankie I guess there was no other option but for him to kill himself. Even though he was royally screwed over he couldn't be a force in the mob anymore. The only reason he broke omerta was because he thought he was whacked by Mike and honestly I dont put it past Mike to do it even though he knew Frank was loyal just to end a war with the Rosatos

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587721
12/10/10 12:32 AM
12/10/10 12:32 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Buttmunker
I think poor Frankie Five Angels should have got a "pass" as he was DECEIVED into thinking The Corleone Family was behind his being whacked...

This is the world of organized crime.

You do not get a "pass" for having been deceived. You are not judged on having been deceived, you are judged on your behavior. Frankie was about to testify against his Don, which if he had gone through with it would've sent Michael to prison. Once coerced out of that, he was of no use to anyone. Not the Feds, not the Corleone Family. Wife & daughter don't count...but they at least get taken care of.

Yes, Frankie was deceived. As a result, he turned traitor. He deserved sympathy...but he didNOT deserve a "pass".

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: AppleOnYa] #587730
12/10/10 09:28 AM
12/10/10 09:28 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
haha - AppleOnYa is running for the next available seat of "Don."

But I getcha. It's a hard world in Organized Crime, and there are protocols that exist there that are ridiculously cruel to people like "us."

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587732
12/10/10 10:02 AM
12/10/10 10:02 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Does Frankie, technically, break omerta? He did recant his testimony.

If he did break omerta, why did Tom tell Vincenzo that the Pentangeli family's honor was intact?

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: The Last Woltz] #587752
12/10/10 02:08 PM
12/10/10 02:08 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Yes, he did break the omertà because he had already given crucial information to the federal agents before the hearing. You don't break the omertà only if you testify before a committee.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Sonny_Black] #587764
12/10/10 03:03 PM
12/10/10 03:03 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
He thought Michael was behind his potential assassination, so he figured, "yeah sure! Michael Corleone did this!, Michael Corlone did that!"

Shoot, I'd sing like a canary if I was in his shoes.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 12/10/10 03:04 PM.
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587793
12/10/10 10:25 PM
12/10/10 10:25 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
perhaps the way the scene was shot is what confused me.

It looks like an ACTUAL hit that is thwarted ONLY because a beat cop happens to walk in at the wrong time.

"Mike Corleone says hello" only makes sense if the plan was NOT to kill him.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: getthesenets] #587795
12/11/10 12:22 AM
12/11/10 12:22 AM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Nah, gangster assassins always say stuff like that, for dramatic effect. Remember when The Chin tried to assassinate Costello? Before he fired his pistola, he called out, "This is for you, Frank!" That warning saved Frank Costello's life because Frank turned around and the shot fired didn't kill him.

So there you go.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587900
12/12/10 03:19 PM
12/12/10 03:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Danny Aiello said he ad-libbed "Michael Corleone says hello." If so, why didn't FFC cut it out?
I've often speculated that the remark was meant for Richie the bartender. Richie obviously was a civilian ("No, Carmine, not here!"). If the cops got involved, Richie would never rat out the Rosatos. So Tony Rosato fed him a line to give to the cops: "I dunno who these guys were, but one of them said, 'Michael Corleone says hello.' " That'd point the finger at Michael. And, when the newspapers got it, his "legitimate" image would be damaged further.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Turnbull] #587912
12/12/10 03:42 PM
12/12/10 03:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Danny Aiello said he ad-libbed "Michael Corleone says hello." If so, why didn't FFC cut it out?
I've often speculated that the remark was meant for Richie the bartender. Richie obviously was a civilian ("No, Carmine, not here!"). If the cops got involved, Richie would never rat out the Rosatos. So Tony Rosato fed him a line to give to the cops: "I dunno who these guys were, but one of them said, 'Michael Corleone says hello.' " That'd point the finger at Michael. And, when the newspapers got it, his "legitimate" image would be damaged further.

Well TB, we've never concluded whether or not they meant to murder Frankie or not. That's key. If murder was the intent, then the line (ab-libbed or not) makes no sense. But if it was meant to turn Frankie against Michael, then it makes every bit of sense. I'll have to watch that scene again to see just pysically how it was perfromed before I can conclude nayhting.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: olivant] #587916
12/12/10 04:06 PM
12/12/10 04:06 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think it's a little far reached if the Rosato brothers and the cops were all involved in the set-up, creating a very dangerous situation on the street with innocent bystanders.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Turnbull] #587923
12/12/10 05:20 PM
12/12/10 05:20 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

Good point about the line being said for the bartender.

I think that in that scenario..it was done so that the underworld would think that Mike had him taken out.

Same code that would have kept Richie from fingering the hitmen would keep him from mentioning Corleone's name to the cops.

Roth wanted east coast underworld to think that Mike had it done.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: getthesenets] #587934
12/12/10 09:11 PM
12/12/10 09:11 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
The cop coming into the bar was not intended - you can tell that simply by Aiello's reaction.

Although, it doesn't make sense for Aiello (Rosato) to say "Michael Corleone says hello" if the hit wasn't sanchioned by Michael Corleone or the Corleone Family.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #587983
12/13/10 11:30 AM
12/13/10 11:30 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think it were two separate situations. Both the Rosato brothers and Roth wanted others to believe that Michael ordered the death of Pentangeli.

The difference is that Roth didn't want Pentangeli to die, which is what the Rosato's intented.

That's why Roth probably informed the cops about what was going to happen, in the hope his plan would turn out like he intented, which it did.

I think at least the cop who walked in was on Roth's payroll.

The Rosato's were used by Roth. He enigneered the whole situation.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Sonny_Black] #588001
12/13/10 12:29 PM
12/13/10 12:29 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know about that. Frankie was about a second or two from being killed when the cop walked in.

Roth had other things planned to deal with Michael. It seems far-fetched to think he had such an elaborate plan - complete with a cop's complicity and the double-cross of his New York allies - to secure what amounted to a Plan C (after the Reno hit and the Cuba assassination) of getting rid of Michael.

If that was his plan, why not offer Frankie a deal or make him think Michael betrayed him in another way? Roth already knew that Frankie was angry with Michael.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: The Last Woltz] #588008
12/13/10 12:43 PM
12/13/10 12:43 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think Frankie would never make a deal with Roth. He may very well have been angry on Michael, but he hated and distrusted Roth too much.

Besides, Frankie was an oldtimer who till then had always been loyal to the Corleone's.

So if this whole situation wasn't a set-up then it was just a spectacular coincidence which almost turned out perfectly for Roth.... eek

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Sonny_Black] #588027
12/13/10 02:54 PM
12/13/10 02:54 PM
NY
B
Buttmunker Offline OP
Made Member
Buttmunker  Offline OP
B
Made Member
NY
Unless the "Michael Corleone says hello" was intended for the bartender?

I found it inappropriate that Michael expressed (what seemed to me) real anger at Pentangeli ("where my wife sleeps, where my children come to play with their toys. My home!") when he wasn't really angry at him at all.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Buttmunker] #588032
12/13/10 03:17 PM
12/13/10 03:17 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I don't think that Michael thought that Frankie was behind the attack but he had to be sure and what better way to gauge that than to see how Frankie reacted to a surprise visit and Michael's display of real anger?

Michael had been frightened and angered and hadn't really had a chance to vent. Frankie was that chance.

As we know the "Michael Corleone says hello" was an adlib which was left in. It works because it not only is the sort of cold one liner which a movie bad guy would say while he's killing someone but it also adds to the audience's (and Frankie's) confusion about who's pulling the strings.

I think that Roth intended for Frankie to die that day. That he didn't and Roth was able to adapt was just testimony (pun intended) to how slick and devious Roth was. You don't get to be an old mobster without being able to think quickly in tough situations.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Sonny_Black] #588092
12/13/10 09:00 PM
12/13/10 09:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
The difference is that Roth didn't want Pentangeli to die, which is what the Rosato's intented.

That's why Roth probably informed the cops about what was going to happen, in the hope his plan would turn out like he intented, which it did.

I think at least the cop who walked in was on Roth's payroll.

The Rosato's were used by Roth. He enigneered the whole situation.

Sonny, I'd like to go over this one more time: smile

Roth's plan was to lure Michael to Cuba, get the $2 million, and have him assassinated in the small hours of January 1, 1959. Why would he try to engineer an incredibly dangerous, split-second-timed rescue of Frankie? So that Frankie would hate Michael and testify against him at a Senate hearing weeks or months away, by which time, according to Roth's Havana timetable, Michael would be long dead?

And if Roth did intend for Frankie to survive, how would he engineer it? Call his man in the precinct and say, "Listen, Shultz, I want you to send a patrolman to Richie's Bar--but make sure he gets there at 3:43 and 22 seconds--not 3:43 and ll seconds, or 3:43 and 28 seconds--3:43 and 22 seconds!. Got it? Let's coordinate watches..."

Or, suppose Roth was lurking outside in a phone booth. He'd have to call the local police precinct and say, "Hello, 87th Precinct? There's a ruckus going on in Richie's Bar. You better send someone--but don't send him until 3:43 and 22 seconds..."

It was pretty obvious that the cop who happened on the scene wasn't clued in on it. And, as we saw, he got shot in the melee afterward.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Turnbull] #588192
12/14/10 01:02 PM
12/14/10 01:02 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Good point. I haven't thought about it that way, so I think you're right.

But still, the cop does enter the bar a little suspicious...

And where did all the cops suddenly came from anyway?

And what about this remark Tom made to Michael (taken from the transcript):

"ROTH. He engineered it MICHAEL. Frankie went to make a deal with the Rosato Brothers -- and they tried to kill him. Our people with the New York detectives said he was half dead, scared stiff, and calling out loud that you'd turned on him. They'd already had him on possession, bookmaking, murder 1, and a lot more."

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 12/14/10 01:07 PM.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Sonny_Black] #588263
12/14/10 09:59 PM
12/14/10 09:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
But still, the cop does enter the bar a little suspicious...

Sure he was suspicious. He thought Richie's bar should have been closed, and when he came in, he asked if he was open or close.

Quote:
And where did all the cops suddenly came from anyway?

Directorial licens--FFC called them wink.

Quote:
And what about this remark Tom made to Michael (taken from the transcript):

"ROTH. He engineered it MICHAEL. Frankie went to make a deal with the Rosato Brothers -- and they tried to kill him. Our people with the New York detectives said he was half dead, scared stiff, and calling out loud that you'd turned on him. They'd already had him on possession, bookmaking, murder 1, and a lot more."

That remark was in the context that Roth worked to keep Frankie's survival secret--not that he engineered Frankie's survival per se. Roth was nothing if not resilient. As we learned from Fredo in the very next scene, the Senate lawyer, Questadt, belonged to Roth. Frankie wanted Roth dead. After Roth learned that Frankie survived, he had his man, Questadt, work with the NYC police and the FBI to keep his surival secret, so that Michael could be tricked into thinking that Cicci was the highest-ranking person to testify against him--and Cicci said he never got a direct order from Michael.

Re: "Michael Corleone Says Hello" - deceived. [Re: Turnbull] #588269
12/14/10 11:10 PM
12/14/10 11:10 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Also, TB:

MICHAEL: "Alive -- PENTANGELI is alive. How'd they get their hands on him?
TOM."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull