GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 91 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,758
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,303
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,404
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Not while mother is around #36781
02/07/06 11:20 AM
02/07/06 11:20 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Don Arvido Offline OP
Button
Don Arvido  Offline OP
Button
Gothenburg, Sweden
While Michael tells Neri "Not while mothers Alive", does he say so within earshot of Fredo? I.e. does Fredo know for certain what awaits him after his mothers death (prior to his 'forgiving')?

Gravy, gravy, you know... tomato sauce
Re: Not while mother is around #36782
02/07/06 11:31 AM
02/07/06 11:31 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

He whispered it to Neri. Fredo didnt hear it, and Fredo didnt know.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Not while mother is around #36783
02/07/06 09:48 PM
02/07/06 09:48 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
What could Fredo have done even if he did know? If he would have run, who would have taken him in and incur the wrath of the Corleone Family? Michael would have had him hunted down and found him eventually. How long did it take to find Fabrizzo? It just would have been postponing the inevitable.

Re: Not while mother is around #36784
02/08/06 12:02 PM
02/08/06 12:02 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Don Arvido Offline OP
Button
Don Arvido  Offline OP
Button
Gothenburg, Sweden
The reason I ask is that Fredo is so frightened at the funeral, and choses that occasion to try and approach his brother. Look at the glance exchanged with Neri. I suppose he knew his brother well enough to know it was inevitable.

Re: Not while mother is around #36785
02/08/06 12:21 PM
02/08/06 12:21 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I don't believe Fredo was 'frightened' at his mother's wake at all. He is clearly upset at the loss of mama which shows when we first see him at her casket and then in that emotional embrace with Connie. He may also have been somewhat nervous as this must've been the first time he was allowed home and with the family since being virtually shut out by Michael.

If he were afraid for his life and had any idea of his brother's plans, he would not only not have asked to see Michael, but probably wouldn't have shown up at all. Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Not while mother is around #36786
02/08/06 01:35 PM
02/08/06 01:35 PM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Don Arvido Offline OP
Button
Don Arvido  Offline OP
Button
Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I don't believe Fredo was 'frightened' at his mother's wake at all. He is clearly upset at the loss of mama which shows when we first see him at her casket and then in that emotional embrace with Connie. Apple
Oh I see. I didn't realise it was grief. I always assumed that he was reduced to a shivering wreck by fear of Michael and Neri as he embraced connie, and finally Connie pleads to Micheal on his behalf.

Re: Not while mother is around #36787
02/08/06 04:10 PM
02/08/06 04:10 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Actually the scene proves Fredo did not overhear Michael because he asks Tom where Michael is, and Tom says in the boathouse "waiting for you to leave." Then we see Connie pleading with Michael to see Fredo. Clearly Fredo thought that the grieving over Mama would give him a chance to reconcile with Michael. And in fact what it did was brinig Fredo back into the compound where Michael could keep yet another enemy closer.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Not while mother is around #36788
02/08/06 09:40 PM
02/08/06 09:40 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by dontomasso:
...Fredo thought that the grieving over Mama would give him a chance to reconcile with Michael. And in fact what it did was brinig Fredo back into the compound where Michael could keep yet another enemy closer.
We all know Michael had no intention of seeing Fredo before their sister intervened. I think that even without the pleading from Connie, embrace of the brothers and Fredo finally living within the compound...Michael would have easily had him hunted down and killed. As we saw with the fate of Fabrizio...geographical location was of little importance.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Not while mother is around #36789
02/09/06 11:00 AM
02/09/06 11:00 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[b] ...Fredo thought that the grieving over Mama would give him a chance to reconcile with Michael. And in fact what it did was brinig Fredo back into the compound where Michael could keep yet another enemy closer.
We all know Michael had no intention of seeing Fredo before their sister intervened. I think that even without the pleading from Connie, embrace of the brothers and Fredo finally living within the compound...Michael would have easily had him hunted down and killed. As we saw with the fate of Fabrizio...geographical location was of little importance.

Apple [/b]
Yes, but by giving Fredo a false sense of security and by basically keeping him in the compound he could do what he had to do whenever he wanted. Don't forget it took a while to hunt down Fabrizio, who in one version was runnning a Pizza place in Buffalo New York

Re: Not while mother is around #36790
02/09/06 11:39 AM
02/09/06 11:39 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
by giving Fredo a false sense of security and by basically keeping him in the compound he could do what he had to do whenever he wanted
I'm inclined to agree with you, DT.

Always the opportunist, Michael may have said to himself "This is a perfect set-up."

"With Mama gone, instead of worrying about hunting the bastard down, I can just keep him here and dispose of him at my own convenience. And best of all, to Connie and everyone else, it's gonna look like a 'reconciliation', so when Fredo turns up dead, no one will think that I had anything to do with it."

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Not while mother is around #36791
02/09/06 12:15 PM
02/09/06 12:15 PM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by plawrence:
"With Mama gone, instead of worrying about hunting the bastard down, I can just keep him here and dispose of him at my own convenience. And best of all, to Connie and everyone else, it's gonna look like a 'reconciliation', so when Fredo turns up dead, no one will think that I had anything to do with it."
chilling, isn't it? How can I like someone like him???? eek grin

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Not while mother is around #36792
02/09/06 01:39 PM
02/09/06 01:39 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]... by giving Fredo a false sense of security and by basically keeping him in the compound he could do what he had to do whenever he wanted...
True, I'm not arguing with that at all...what I'm saying is that even without the 'reconcilliation', with Mama now gone Fredo was a dead man. And as with Fabrizio, Michael wouldn't have really cared how long it took.

Actually, Fredo would've been much easier to track down even had he not been living at the compound...for unlike Fabrizio he had no clue of the fate in store (although he was clearly suffering enough from the shutout).

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Not while mother is around #36793
02/09/06 01:53 PM
02/09/06 01:53 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Actually, Fredo would've been much easier to track down even had he not been living at the compound...for unlike Fabrizio he had no clue of the fate in store (although he was clearly suffering enough from the shutout).

Apple
Oh, absolutely. Fredo wouldnt know how to hide. Reminds me of a great line in Get Shorty when the character Leo asks Travolta how he located him and Travolta says "I'll give you a tip. When you send a letter don't use hotel stationery."

Re: Not while mother is around #36794
02/10/06 12:32 PM
02/10/06 12:32 PM
Pippi Offline
Wiseguy
Pippi  Offline
Wiseguy
I searched for the forum this and couldn't find anything, so since its sort of close to this I thought I may as well ask here.
In GF3 , Kay says ''Anthony knows you killed Fredo''. My question is how did Anthony know? Did everyone just guess? I can understand Connie knowing as being raised in the family I'm sure it wouldn't of taken her long to work out the most logical reason, but since Kay is so out of touch with mafia rules etc, how could she have known for sure?
And as Anthony was a little boy how could he work it out? Just by the fact Fredo couldn't go fishing with him?

Maybe I'm not thinking it through properly, I'd just like to know if anyone knows how 'Anthony Knew'

Pippi

"Dreams come true. Without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them. "
Re: Not while mother is around #36795
02/10/06 12:39 PM
02/10/06 12:39 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Pippi:
... My question is how did Anthony know? Did everyone just guess? ...since Kay is so out of touch with mafia rules etc, how could she have known for sure? ... And as Anthony was a little boy how could he work it out? Just by the fact Fredo couldn't go fishing with him?...Pippi
Perhaps not immediately at the time of Fredo's death, but over time and as he grew older, knowing the business his father was in, and possibly learning of Fredo's betrayal...it makes sense that Anthony might just eventually put 2 & 2 together. As a youngster I would guess he'd also be haunted by the fact that Fredo died AFTER he was taken away from the fishing boat by his Aunt Connie.

As for Kay, it's believable that Anthony, having figured out what happened to his uncle, lamented to his mother of this realization. Kay, knowing who her ex-husband was and what he was capable of, would most certainly have accepted Anthony's story as the truth.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull