GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Lou_Para), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36685
01/30/06 01:17 PM
01/30/06 01:17 PM
Luciano Fanucci Offline OP
Underboss
Luciano Fanucci  Offline OP
Underboss
Ive been wondering this for A while now. Its A pretty cool theory to think that some fo the mobsters from "The Godfather" are based on real life mobsters. Its clear that Hyman Roth is based on Meyer Lanksy, as they both tried to seek refugee in A number of foreign countrys, but I cant thyink of any others that might be based on real mobsters.

Omerta.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36686
01/30/06 01:50 PM
01/30/06 01:50 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Luciano, this topic has come up many times. You can do a search and find many opinions. Here are mine:

Close Fit:
Johnny Fontane = Frank Sinatra: Washed-up, teen-idol crooner with fealty to the Mob; role in war movie puts him back on top; sluttish, movie-star ex-wife.

Hyman Roth = Meyer Lansky: Jewish adviser to Mafia; “always makes money for his partners”; tight with president of Cuba; started out as a truck mechanic and got connected during Prohibition; fled to Israel and South America to escape Justice Dept.

Moe Green = Bugsy Siegel: Pal of Jewish adviser to Mob; “headstrong, talking loud, saying stupid things”; “city he invented was Las Vegas”; “someone put a bullet in his eye.”

Johnny Ola = Vincent (Jimmy Blue Eyes) Alo: “Sicilian messenger boy” to Lansky [N.B.: Name is an anagram.]

Joey Zasa = Joe Columbo/John Gotti: Meucci Society = Italian-American Civil Rights League; “Best-Dressed Mobster”; publicity hound; shot at Italian-American event.

Rosato Brothers = Gallo Brothers: Renegade faction in Mob family declares war on Don (Joe Profaci); Joey Gallo recruits blacks and Hispanics while in jail; “leave the gambling for last.” [N.B.: Eldest brother Larry was garroted in the back of Brooklyn’s Sahara Lounge after-hours in 1960 and was saved by a NYC cop who happened by—the basis of the Frank Pentangeli-Rosato Brothers scene, but with roles reversed.]

Stretch Fit:
Vito Corleone = Frank Costello: Most powerful of Five Families; “had all the judges in New York in his pocket”; primary business was gambling and unions; retired after being shot by rival mobster. [N.B.: Some fans believe Lucky Luciano was the model because he arranged for the death of Joe “The Boss” Masseria at a restaurant (in the book, Vito Corleone arranged for the death of “Maranzalla” at a restaurant). But Luciano dealt in prostitution and drugs, was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in jail, and was deported. Vito Corleone deplored prostitution and drugs, and never went to jail.]

Emilio Barzini = Vito Genovese: Tried to kill rival to become Capo di Tutti Capi; attempted to make move on drugs at gangster convention (Apalachin). But: Genovese died in jail; Barzini was killed.

Frankie Pentangeli = Joe Magliocco: Weak successor to strong Don (Profaci); beleaguered by rival faction (see Rosato Brothers/Gallo Brothers); attempt to move against stronger Don backfires. But: Magliocco died of a heart attack, Pentangeli turned state’s evidence and killed himself.

Peter Clemenza = Frank Labruzzo (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) stayed loyal to son of Don (Bill Bonanno) during gang war; philosophical bent. But: Labruzzo died of cancer before being permitted to form own family. [N.B.: Richard Castellano played Labruzzo in the TV movie, “Honor Thy Father.”]

Sal Tessio = Gaspar Di Gregorio (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) betrayed Don and son by siding with rival Don (Stefano Maggaddino) in return for being named head of his own family. But: Di Gregorio died of heart attack; Tessio was taken for a ride by Willie Cicci.

Fredo Corleone = Thomas Gambino: Weak son of Capo di Tutti Capi is passed over, given “legit” businesses to run. But: Garment Center trucking is not a “Mickey Mouse nightclub”; Fredo was killed after betrying his brother; Tommy is still alive.

Luca Brasi = Willie Moretti: Legendary strong-armer; “can do a job of murder all by himself”; “most valued friend” of Joe Bonanno and other Mob bosses; killed by the Mob (probably Vito Genovese). But: Moretti was killed by agreement among several Dons because his tertiary syphilis was causing him to become loose-lipped.

No Fit:
Michael Corleone. No son ever successfully succeeded his father as Don, much less surpassed his father--and endured over the long term. But: Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno was being groomed as his father’s successor until the “Banana Wars” caused his father’s retirement and Bill’s imprisonment on credit card fraud charges. Also: John Gotti designated his son as Don, but Junior wasn’t even able to run a phone-card scam successfully, was not accepted by many factions in the Family, and went to prison.

Tom Hagen. No non-Italian has ever served, officially, as a Family’s consigliere. But: Meyer Lansky was unofficial consigliere to all the Five Families and several out-of-town mobs; Jake Guzik served as Al Capone’s mentor and business manager.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36687
01/30/06 02:05 PM
01/30/06 02:05 PM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
I think Don Corleone is based on several different mobsters, but Frank Costello seems to be the most obvious mobster because both he and Don Corleone had "alot of friends in politics" and both controlloed the gambling and unions in New York.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36688
01/30/06 02:59 PM
01/30/06 02:59 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Corleone - Genovese
Barzini - Gambino
Tataglia - Bonnano
Cuneo - Columbo
Strachi - Luchesse

L.Fanucci grin

Omerta.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36689
01/30/06 03:00 PM
01/30/06 03:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, Vito has elements of other US Dons in addition to Costello. He was the biggest importer of olive oil (like Joe Profaci). He groomed his son to be his heir, and the son was betrayed by one caporegime while another stayed loyal (like Joe Bonanno). He was the victor in a war in the Thirties and left his foe dead in a restaurant (like Salvatore Maranzano). You might also say he was first among equals (like Charlie Luciano and Carlo Gambino).

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36690
01/30/06 05:07 PM
01/30/06 05:07 PM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
It might be a little out of place in the movie section, but remind me, Turnbull, who is that actress-whore Johnny married, Margot Ashton, based on?

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36691
01/30/06 08:30 PM
01/30/06 08:30 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by JustMe:
It might be a little out of place in the movie section, but remind me, Turnbull, who is that actress-whore Johnny married, Margot Ashton, based on?
Actress and Whore I am going to say Virginia Hill.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36692
01/31/06 06:58 AM
01/31/06 06:58 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b] It might be a little out of place in the movie section, but remind me, Turnbull, who is that actress-whore Johnny married, Margot Ashton, based on?
Actress and Whore I am going to say Virginia Hill. [/b]
Was she that famous around the world as Puzo states?

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36693
01/31/06 08:41 AM
01/31/06 08:41 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b]
[b] It might be a little out of place in the movie section, but remind me, Turnbull, who is that actress-whore Johnny married, Margot Ashton, based on?
Actress and Whore I am going to say Virginia Hill. [/b]
Was she that famous around the world as Puzo states? [/b]
I don't know JM blush

Turnbull or Don Cardi would be able to help you more, I was just looking at it as if the person was based off of a "mafia person" then Virginia Hill who was an actress and a lady who has been around the block a few times is the only one that popped into my mind.

To add to that, Virginia Hill was a former Prostitute.
Turnbull? blush

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36694
01/31/06 11:59 AM
01/31/06 11:59 AM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
The Corleones always remined me of the Kennedys.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36695
01/31/06 01:00 PM
01/31/06 01:00 PM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Luciano Fanucci:
Corleone - Genovese
Barzini - Gambino
Tataglia - Bonnano
Cuneo - Columbo
Strachi - Luchesse

L.Fanucci grin
I always thought that Don Corleone and the Corleone Family were based on Carlo Gambino and the Gambino Family.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36696
01/31/06 01:17 PM
01/31/06 01:17 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The Margot Ashton in the novel would be based on Ava Gardner, Sinatra's second wife. Virginia Hill was Bugsy Siegel's mistress. In the novel, Moe Green is shot "at the home of his Hollywood mistress," as was the real-life Bugsy.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36697
01/31/06 01:33 PM
01/31/06 01:33 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Turnbull, on the subject of non-Italians in the role of consigliere or key adviser, add Murray "The Camel" Humphreys, whose role in the Chicago mob is often overshadowed by the Outfit bosses in Chicago during his lifetime. It's entirely possible his influence was downplayed or undervalued becaused of his heritage. None-the-less, it's easy to draw a parallel between "German-Irish" Tom Hagan and Welshman Murray Humphreys, both of whom wielded influence among their associates during the 1940's thru 1960's...though I would argue that Hump might have been more valuable in real life than Hagan was in fiction!

Also, there was a Welsh rock band that went by the name of "Murry the Hump" having chosen their name as a tribute to their fellow Welshman!

"Prince of Crime" is a good read about Humphries, as is Russo's "The Outfit."

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36698
01/31/06 01:58 PM
01/31/06 01:58 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Peter_Clemenza:
[b] Corleone - Genovese
Barzini - Gambino
Tataglia - Bonnano
Cuneo - Columbo
Strachi - Luchesse

L.Fanucci grin
I always thought that Don Corleone and the Corleone Family were based on Carlo Gambino and the Gambino Family. [/b]
You got A good point there. The Gambino family was the strongest and richest family during the 40`s, and thats when the corleone`s where about, and teh corleone`s where the strongest and richest out of the five families. But I compared them with Genovese because they are currently the strongest and richest.

Omerta.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36699
01/31/06 02:56 PM
01/31/06 02:56 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by YoTonyB:
Turnbull, on the subject of non-Italians in the role of consigliere or key adviser, add Murray "The Camel" Humphreys, whose role in the Chicago mob is often overshadowed by the Outfit bosses in Chicago during his lifetime. It's entirely possible his influence was downplayed or undervalued becaused of his heritage. None-the-less, it's easy to draw a parallel between "German-Irish" Tom Hagan and Welshman Murray Humphreys, both of whom wielded influence among their associates during the 1940's thru 1960's...though I would argue that Hump might have been more valuable in real life than Hagan was in fiction!

tony b.
Tony, that's an excellent point. smile The Camel, born in Wales, was one of Capone's close guys (John Kobler, author of the best Capone bio, calls him "Robbery Expert"). He later ran the labor rackets for The Outfit. I would not have counted him as a consigliere because he ran operations on his own, and in any event, Big Tuna himself continued to be the consigliere (and more) even after he "retired." But there's no question that The Camel was highly influential to generations of Outfit leaders.
Who can say where the "official" consigliere leaves off, and "kitchen cabinet" advisers take over? Carmine Persico had several consiglieri, but the guy closest to him was his nominal bodyguard, Hugh (Apples) McIntosh.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36700
02/04/06 04:22 PM
02/04/06 04:22 PM
Lexington, KY
E
Eddie Levine of Newport Offline
Associate
Eddie Levine of Newport  Offline
E
Associate
Lexington, KY
Did I read somewhere that James Caan based his portrayal of Sonny on Junior Persico? And that Brando looked at old tapes of Frank Costello and adopted his husky, tired voice? (It might have been on this site...)

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36701
02/04/06 04:38 PM
02/04/06 04:38 PM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
The idea for Sonny Corleone was based on Sonny Capone, Al Capone's son.

Also, Connie Corleone was based on Paul Castellano's daughter, Connie, who was abused by her husband. The only difference is that Connie's (Paul Castellano's daughter) husband went missing after Paul Castellano found out about him abusing his daughter.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36702
02/04/06 09:47 PM
02/04/06 09:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The idea for Sonny Corleone was based on Sonny Capone, Al Capone's son.

?? Sonny Capone was never in the rackets. He married in 1940, settled in Miami, and had four kids. According to John Kobler, the only crime Sonny was ever arrested for was shoplifting. Carmine Persico is a better bet. James Caan was given permission to hang out with Joe Columbo and his top people during GF filming, and Persico was one of them.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? #36703
02/05/06 07:14 AM
02/05/06 07:14 AM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] The idea for Sonny Corleone was based on Sonny Capone, Al Capone's son.

?? Sonny Capone was never in the rackets. He married in 1940, settled in Miami, and had four kids. According to John Kobler, the only crime Sonny was ever arrested for was shoplifting. Carmine Persico is a better bet. James Caan was given permission to hang out with Joe Columbo and his top people during GF filming, and Persico was one of them. [/b]
Maybe my sources are incorrect, but I read somewhere that the idea for Sonny Corleone was based no Sonny Capone. I did not say that Sonny's characteristics, etc. are based on Sonny Capone's.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: Peter_Clemenza] #358264
01/22/07 01:10 PM
01/22/07 01:10 PM
Southampton, England
DonPacino Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
DonPacino  Offline
Don'Scarface' Pacino
Capo
Southampton, England
Tom Hagen was apparently based on Frank DeSimone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hagen

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: Turnbull] #358344
01/22/07 05:09 PM
01/22/07 05:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Luciano, this topic has come up many times. You can do a search and find many opinions. Here are mine:

Close Fit:
Johnny Fontane = Frank Sinatra: Washed-up, teen-idol crooner with fealty to the Mob; role in war movie puts him back on top; sluttish, movie-star ex-wife.

Hyman Roth = Meyer Lansky: Jewish adviser to Mafia; “always makes money for his partners”; tight with president of Cuba; started out as a truck mechanic and got connected during Prohibition; fled to Israel and South America to escape Justice Dept.

Moe Green = Bugsy Siegel: Pal of Jewish adviser to Mob; “headstrong, talking loud, saying stupid things”; “city he invented was Las Vegas”; “someone put a bullet in his eye.”

Johnny Ola = Vincent (Jimmy Blue Eyes) Alo: “Sicilian messenger boy” to Lansky [N.B.: Name is an anagram.]

Joey Zasa = Joe Columbo/John Gotti: Meucci Society = Italian-American Civil Rights League; “Best-Dressed Mobster”; publicity hound; shot at Italian-American event.

Rosato Brothers = Gallo Brothers: Renegade faction in Mob family declares war on Don (Joe Profaci); Joey Gallo recruits blacks and Hispanics while in jail; “leave the gambling for last.” [N.B.: Eldest brother Larry was garroted in the back of Brooklyn’s Sahara Lounge after-hours in 1960 and was saved by a NYC cop who happened by—the basis of the Frank Pentangeli-Rosato Brothers scene, but with roles reversed.]

Stretch Fit:
Vito Corleone = Frank Costello: Most powerful of Five Families; “had all the judges in New York in his pocket”; primary business was gambling and unions; retired after being shot by rival mobster. [N.B.: Some fans believe Lucky Luciano was the model because he arranged for the death of Joe “The Boss” Masseria at a restaurant (in the book, Vito Corleone arranged for the death of “Maranzalla” at a restaurant). But Luciano dealt in prostitution and drugs, was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in jail, and was deported. Vito Corleone deplored prostitution and drugs, and never went to jail.]

Emilio Barzini = Vito Genovese: Tried to kill rival to become Capo di Tutti Capi; attempted to make move on drugs at gangster convention (Apalachin). But: Genovese died in jail; Barzini was killed.

Frankie Pentangeli = Joe Magliocco: Weak successor to strong Don (Profaci); beleaguered by rival faction (see Rosato Brothers/Gallo Brothers); attempt to move against stronger Don backfires. But: Magliocco died of a heart attack, Pentangeli turned state’s evidence and killed himself.

Peter Clemenza = Frank Labruzzo (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) stayed loyal to son of Don (Bill Bonanno) during gang war; philosophical bent. But: Labruzzo died of cancer before being permitted to form own family. [N.B.: Richard Castellano played Labruzzo in the TV movie, “Honor Thy Father.”]

Sal Tessio = Gaspar Di Gregorio (Bonanno Family): Top capo to Don (Bonanno) betrayed Don and son by siding with rival Don (Stefano Maggaddino) in return for being named head of his own family. But: Di Gregorio died of heart attack; Tessio was taken for a ride by Willie Cicci.

Fredo Corleone = Thomas Gambino: Weak son of Capo di Tutti Capi is passed over, given “legit” businesses to run. But: Garment Center trucking is not a “Mickey Mouse nightclub”; Fredo was killed after betrying his brother; Tommy is still alive.

Luca Brasi = Willie Moretti: Legendary strong-armer; “can do a job of murder all by himself”; “most valued friend” of Joe Bonanno and other Mob bosses; killed by the Mob (probably Vito Genovese). But: Moretti was killed by agreement among several Dons because his tertiary syphilis was causing him to become loose-lipped.

No Fit:
Michael Corleone. No son ever successfully succeeded his father as Don, much less surpassed his father--and endured over the long term. But: Salvatore (Bill) Bonanno was being groomed as his father’s successor until the “Banana Wars” caused his father’s retirement and Bill’s imprisonment on credit card fraud charges. Also: John Gotti designated his son as Don, but Junior wasn’t even able to run a phone-card scam successfully, was not accepted by many factions in the Family, and went to prison.

Tom Hagen. No non-Italian has ever served, officially, as a Family’s consigliere. But: Meyer Lansky was unofficial consigliere to all the Five Families and several out-of-town mobs; Jake Guzik served as Al Capone’s mentor and business manager.

I agree with it all except Vito and Clemenza.

Vito is Joe Bonanno - based on both real and film characters' emphasis on blood family.

Clemenza is Joe Profaci although in the film we don't get to see Clemenza with his own family.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: olivant] #358360
01/22/07 06:33 PM
01/22/07 06:33 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant

I agree with it all except Vito and Clemenza.

Vito is Joe Bonanno - based on both real and film characters' emphasis on blood family.

Clemenza is Joe Profaci although in the film we don't get to see Clemenza with his own family.

Olivant,

Can you please share with us why you feel that Clemenza is based on Joe Profaci?

As for Vito, I feel that he is a combination of Frank Costello (for the reasons that TB provided), Joe Profaci, who was the olive oil king, Joe Bonanno ( for the reasons that both you and TB provided) and Vito Genovese because he was once the most feared of mafia bosses but yet was smooth and cunning enough to wipe out his enemies.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: Don Cardi] #358363
01/22/07 06:48 PM
01/22/07 06:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
What's your basis for that point of view, Olivant ?
I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that Joe Profaci was an original member of the commission with his own family, whereas the character of Clemena toiled as capo for years.
So I really don't see the connection.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: pizzaboy] #358372
01/22/07 07:48 PM
01/22/07 07:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Yes, Profaci was one of the original heads of the NY five families and Clemenza was (in the film) just a Capo. But in the novel, Clemenza becomes Don of the Corleone family. Now, Profaci was very close to Bonanno just like Clemenza was very close to Vito (I mean very close in both cases). Bonanno and Profaci engineered the ill-fated attempt to eliminate the other NY Dons and that is similar to the assistance that Clemenza (even thought he was just a capo at the time) gave to the Corleones (albeit to Michael and not Vito) to eliminate Barzini and Tattaglia (in the novel) and all the NY dons in the film.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: olivant] #358411
01/22/07 11:02 PM
01/22/07 11:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Your analogy doesn't hold up all the way, Olivant:
Yes, Profaci was one of the five original Dons made by Salvatore Maranzano after his victory in the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31. And he was Bonanno's strongest ally. But he was never subordinate to Bonanno. He had his own family at the same time that Bonanno had his--whereas Clemenza had been subordinate to both Vito and Michael. Also, Profaci was dead by the time Bonanno plotted to whack Lucchese and Gambino. Bonanno's partner in that plot was Joe Magliocco, Profaci's successor and brother in law. And, as was revealed after he died, Bonanno's big business was drugs, the antithesis of what Vito stood for.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: Luciano Fanucci] #358647
01/24/07 12:54 AM
01/24/07 12:54 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Luciano Fanucci
Quote:
Quote:
Corleone - Genovese
Barzini - Gambino
Tataglia - Bonnano
Cuneo - Columbo
Strachi - Luchesse

L.Fanucci
I always thought that Don Corleone and the Corleone Family were based on Carlo Gambino and the Gambino Family.
You got A good point there. The Gambino family was the strongest and richest family during the 40`s, and thats when the corleone`s where about, and teh corleone`s where the strongest and richest out of the five families. But I compared them with Genovese because they are currently the strongest and richest.

Where'd you get your info? Carlo Gambino didn't take over the family until 1957 after the murder of Anastasia.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: olivant] #358664
01/24/07 01:09 AM
01/24/07 01:09 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
You took the words right out of my mouth Olivant.
In the 40's after Luciano was deported, wasn't there a Prime Minister guy, uh what's his name again ?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: pizzaboy] #358671
01/24/07 02:21 AM
01/24/07 02:21 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Frank Costello. He took over from Luciano and then was deposed by Genovese. Gambino took over from Anastasia who was murdered. He had previously murdered Mangano to take over the family.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: olivant] #358672
01/24/07 02:38 AM
01/24/07 02:38 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I was being a wiseass, Olivant.
But thanks, your historical info is always right on the money.

Re: Godfather mobsters based on real mobtsers? [Re: pizzaboy] #359426
01/29/07 06:49 AM
01/29/07 06:49 AM
Dakosta Offline
Button
Dakosta  Offline
Button
Sorry for my English, but I'm Spanish, and I don't speak it very well. I'd like to add more real life people that it seems to appear in the godfather film as characters.

Jack Woltz. It seems to be Jack Warner, from Warner Bross.

Senator Geary. In real life as Senator from Nevada Patrick A. McCarran from 1933 to 1945 or maybe Barry Goldwater from Arizona.

Archbishop Gilday is based on Paul Marcinkus the head of the Vatican Bank.

Cardinal Lamberto (Pope Paul VI)It seems to be Pope Jonh Paulus I

The character of Frederick Keinszig is loosely based on Roberto Calvi, the head of the Vatican-controlled Banco Ambrosiano that spectacularly collapsed in 1982, causing a large scandal in Italy.

Some say Johnny Ola was based on real life mobster Vincent Alo who was Meyer Lansky's right hand man.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull