GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Irishman12, furio_from_naples, Lou_Para, 2 invisible), 216 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,949
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,003
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom and the drug deal #585299
11/09/10 12:41 AM
11/09/10 12:41 AM
New York
L
Louren_Lampone Offline OP
Made Member
Louren_Lampone  Offline OP
L
Made Member
New York
Why was Tom so persistent in having the Don meet with Sollozzo?
If (Don Vito) is a boss, doesn't he decide when he will/ever would meet with anyone?

Maybe Genco would have smelled a rat as soon as a proposition like that came to him?

Thoughts?

"Now, that plane goes to Miami."
"That's right. That's where I want it met."
Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: Louren_Lampone] #585312
11/09/10 07:01 AM
11/09/10 07:01 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Because as he said if the Corleones didn't get in on things at the ground floor they risked losing their power-not now but ten years from now.

I think Genco might have looked a little more closely behind Sollozzo. But the other side wasn't chopped liver. Even the Don didn't know until it was too late that it was Barzini all along.

Given that the Corleones eventually ended up accepting the Sollozzo deal anyway (without Sollozzo, Bruno Tattaglia, Sonny and numerous others) one could make the argument that Tom was right.

In the book Puzo writes that Tom was convinced that this was one of the few times that the Don was missing the big picture.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: Lilo] #585321
11/09/10 09:38 AM
11/09/10 09:38 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Other than the fact that Barzini was a hidden backer of Sollozzo, I'm not sure there was a "rat" in the deal.

Had Vito accepted, I imagine that things would have proceeded much as Sollozzo had predicted. As all of the other Dons recognized, it was a legitimate business proposition, not a smokescreen or a ruse.

In fact, the only smokescreen was Vito's claim that he would be unable to get the pezzenovante to go along with the drug trade; he later agrees to do just that.

While Tom did not see Barzini's hand behind all of it, I don't really blame him. It was a clever plan to "hide" the involvement of the Tattaglia Family. Who would have thought that there would be a second secret Family? Vito eventually figured it out, but not until much damage had been done.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: The Last Woltz] #585366
11/09/10 03:36 PM
11/09/10 03:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Vito always intended to meet with Sollozzo, but put it off until after the wedding because he expected some trouble.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: olivant] #585371
11/09/10 04:08 PM
11/09/10 04:08 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Tom was insistent because he was gung-ho for the deal for all the reasons he said in his meeting after he came back from CA. And, I'm not sure Genco would have picked up on Barzini being behind the deal. In the novel, Vito says of the Sol meeting, "What he will propose is an infamia." So, it was credible for Vito (and probably Genco) to associate such an "infamia" with Tattaglia, whose business, prostitution, was another "infamia."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: Louren_Lampone] #585444
11/10/10 10:50 AM
11/10/10 10:50 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Louren_Lampone
Why was Tom so persistent in having the Don meet with Sollozzo?
If (Don Vito) is a boss, doesn't he decide when he will/ever would meet with anyone?

Maybe Genco would have smelled a rat as soon as a proposition like that came to him?

Thoughts?

I don't know that Tom was insistent that Vito talk to Sol. Most likely Sol asked for the meeting, Tom checked around, found out that he was being bankrolled by the Tatt family, and figured that Sol was going to be a player in New York. It would have been an unnecessary insult not to meet him. As Vito tells Sol, he agreed to meet him because "You are a serious man." Vito needed to tell Sol "no" to his face as a matter of honor. He makes it clear to Sol that he doesn't care what "a man does for a living" and he wishes Sol good luck in his enterprise....as long as your interests don't conflict with mine. This was a veiled threat, because it necessarily restricted the drug trade in territories controlled by the Corleones.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Tom and the drug deal [Re: dontomasso] #585493
11/10/10 03:24 PM
11/10/10 03:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Actually, Tom tells Vito that Sollozzo can't be put off any longer and that he'll have to see him this week. Is that insistence? In the film, Tom is also pretty definitive about it.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull