GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, JGil916), 216 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,968
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,349
Posts1,059,057
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DVD #36480
01/17/06 10:11 PM
01/17/06 10:11 PM
Santino Jr Offline OP
Made Member
Santino Jr  Offline OP
Made Member
I recently bought Godfather DVD for Xmas and finally got the time to watch it last week and this week.

I was extremely disappointed that the triology did not contain several missing footages from the Saga.

1. Vito and the boys visit Genco in the hospital after Connie's wedding.

2. Young Vito meeting Hyman Roth introduced by Clemenza.

I cant remember the last one but both of them were quite important that I thought should have been included.

Also, I remember during the meeting between Michael and Sollozzo where Michael killed him... At first, Sollozzo was speaking Italian to Michael and there was no subtitle caption to translate. Then it shows both of them speaking some Italian and English.

Does anyone remember what Sollozzo said to Michael?

This forum is truly growing and the last time I recalled that there were more than 2,000 members, and today theres 4,000 members! Way to go fellas. Sorry I havent been around for long time since my jobs keep me busy with all those hours. Ill try come back once while.

Salute!

Santino Jr

-"I want you to sell your soul to Don Altobello to betray me."
Re: DVD #36481
01/17/06 10:15 PM
01/17/06 10:15 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Psst...look in the 5th disc. wink

Hey, how's it going?
Re: DVD #36482
01/17/06 10:20 PM
01/17/06 10:20 PM
Santino Jr Offline OP
Made Member
Santino Jr  Offline OP
Made Member
Its there? Wow, I havent got around to see the 5th disc yet.

Molte Grazie!

Santino Jr

Re: DVD #36483
01/17/06 11:50 PM
01/17/06 11:50 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Welcome Back smile

There's more than deleted scenes on the 5th disc. Like screen tests,behind the scenes stuff,photo's etc.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: DVD #36484
01/18/06 12:18 AM
01/18/06 12:18 AM
Santino Jr Offline OP
Made Member
Santino Jr  Offline OP
Made Member
Yup.... whole lot more shit than I ever thought the Triology offered me. I managed to see the Family Tree, many images from three movies, saw up to 1947 in Missing Scenes. Tomorrow I will finish it all.

I was afraid that I would NEVER see those missing scenes from the Saga. Many of them helped me refreshed my mind because it has been almost 15 years since I saw the saga on tv.

Thanks for the referral to see the 5th disc. orange

Santino Jr

Re: DVD #36485
01/18/06 05:39 PM
01/18/06 05:39 PM
Glasgow
The Horse's Head Offline
Associate
The Horse's Head  Offline
Associate
Glasgow
I've had the DVD box set for a couple of years now and I'd have to say that the bonus disc is full of collector's items, but no more than that. I have watched all of the deleted scenes and to be honest, I think the cutters got it right with just about all of them. They serve no real purpose in themselves in that they do not offer any information to the viewer that is already present in the cinema versions.
With regards to the hospital scene, it would have slowed the plot down too much. After the opening extravagant wedding scene, the pace is unabating until Michael shoots Solozzo and McCluskey, even if the Woltz encounter is a bit of a diversion.
And as for the introduction of Roth, I think the sight of the slightly gawky character would have diminished the presence of the monster who appears in the later scenes.

By the way, I have still to watch G III !

Re: DVD #36486
01/18/06 09:39 PM
01/18/06 09:39 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Santino Jr. wrote:

Also, I remember during the meeting between Michael and Sollozzo where Michael killed him... At first, Sollozzo was speaking Italian to Michael and there was no subtitle caption to translate. Then it shows both of them speaking some Italian and English.

Does anyone remember what Sollozzo said to Michael?

Here is a translation of the Michael/Sollozzo scene, taken from JGeoff Malta's GF transcript:

SOLLOZZO

Me dispiace... [I'm sorry...]

MICHAEL

Lassa-i ["Leave it alone/forget about it"]

SOLLOZZO

[Sounds like, in Italian: "What happened to your father was business -- I have much respect for your father -- but your father -- his thinking is old fashioned. You must understand why I had to do that"...]

MICHAEL

[Sounds like, in Italian: "I understand those things..."]

SOLLOZZO (after the waiter brings McCluskey's veal, then exits)

[Sounds like, in Italian: "Now let's work through where we go from here... (more)"]

MICHAEL

[Something in Italian]...come si diche...? ["How do you say...?"]

(then, in English)

What I want -- what's most important to me -- is that I have a guarantee: No more attempts on my father's life.

SOLLOZZO

What guarantees could I give you, Mike? I am the hunted one! I missed my chance. You think too much of me, kid -- I'm not that clever. All I want, is a truce.

MICHAEL (after a while)

I have to go to the bathroom. Is that all right?

McCLUSKEY (while eating)

You gotta go, you gotta go...

(then, after Sollozzo begins to frisk Michael as he's standing)

I frisked him -- he's clean.

SOLLOZZO

Don't take too long...

McCLUSKEY (while watching Michael enter the bathroom)

I've frisked a thousand young punks...

CUT TO: Inside the restroom, Mike's looking for the gun behind the tank: He can't find it

CUT TO: Table. McCluskey glances toward the restroom; Sollozzo smokes.

CUT TO: Restroom, when Michael finally finds the gun. He's relieved.

CUT TO: Table. McCluskey glances up again.

CUT TO: Restroom, where Michael hesitates by the door, preparing himself as a train is loudly heard passing close by, just before he goes back to the dining area.

CUT TO: Dining room: Sollozzo and McCluskey watch Michael emerge from the restroom, hesitate at the door, then sit down.

SOLLOZZO (voice fading into background)

[Sounds like, in Italian: "Everything all right? I respect myself -- understand? -- and cannot allow another man to hold me back. What happened was unavoidable. I had the unspoken support of the other Family Dons. If your father were in better health, without his eldest son running things, no disrespect intended, we wouldn't have this nonsense. We will stop fighting until your father is well and can resume bargaining. No vengeance will be taken. We will have peace, but your family should interfere no longer...." (rough translation by Jim Coyle)]

Hope this helps.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: DVD #36487
01/18/06 11:35 PM
01/18/06 11:35 PM
Santino Jr Offline OP
Made Member
Santino Jr  Offline OP
Made Member
Molte Grazie...

I do remember the subtitle did appear on tv years ago while the Saga was airing. Its been so long since I saw the Saga except when it aired on USA few times.

Its been soo long since I have seen the missing footage of the Saga and forgot many of those when I saw the Trilogy. I actually forgot about Fabrizio being found and killed, Vito killing 2 bodyguards that murdered his mother, and Frankie giving Anthony $100.

My favorite missing scene would have to be with Genco's dying in hospital where Vito seemed tough on Michael. I nearly laughed when he said, "What's those Christmas ribbons for?" Vito looked really intimidating while Michael showed a small attitude when he walked away.

God bless the 5th disc for the Saga, Family Tree and pictures!

Santino Jr

Re: DVD #36488
01/19/06 02:48 AM
01/19/06 02:48 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I decided to take another look at the Michael/Sollozzo scene on the two taped copies I have - one from HBO (taped many years ago), and the Saga (taped a couple of years back from Bravo).

First off, I noticed that after saying (in Italian) that Don Vito's thinking was old-fashioned, Sollozzo says (referring to himself) that he is "a man of honor." I didn't see this in the transcription I posted earlier.

I also saw that my HBO copy had the closed-captioning (not sub-titling) in Italian for the Italian dialogue in this scene (albeit not 100% accurate) while the Saga only had the caption [Speaking Italian] twice: once when Sollozzo says "Capide?" to the restaurant owner, and again when he starts speaking in Italian after Michael comes back from the Men's Room. There was no closed-captioning at all of the Italian dialogue when the Saga aired on Bravo (don't know what they did on Spike - didn't watch or tape it).

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull