GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 317 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,876
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,322
Posts1,058,575
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) #581845
09/29/10 01:03 AM
09/29/10 01:03 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
The highly-esteemed, highly-rightly-dissed Rock Hall of Fame have released their ballot finalists this year, with the inductees announced in December.

the Beastie Boys
Neil Diamond
Alice Cooper
Bon Jovi
Donovan
Tom Waits
LL Cool J
Dr. John
the J. Geils Band
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Chuck Willis.

Random Thoughts:

(1) Alice Cooper shoulda been inducted years ago.
(2) As do KISS, who get snubbed again! Haha! No really that's...WTF?
(3) Beastie Boys deserve it, but they won't get in again.
(4) Figured those assholes would have elected Neil Diamond earlier. Not that I give a shit about him, but he's one of those people you figure woulda been there earlier.
(5) Hell yes to Tom Waits.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthe...-straight-year/

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #581859
09/29/10 06:19 AM
09/29/10 06:19 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I'm not a huge KISS fan but I'm curious other than "Strutter" and "God of Thunder" what gets KISS into the HOF? I haven't heard a lot of their stuff... confused

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lilo] #581865
09/29/10 08:19 AM
09/29/10 08:19 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
I used to be a huge Kiss fan as a kid. What makes them Hall worthy is not their music in and of itself. They really were the first hard rock band to put on a mammoth stage show, complete with pyrotechnics and a spectacular visual presence. Kiss was the blueprint for the massive stage shows later adapted by Van Halen, Motley Crue, Scorpions, Def Leppard, and Bon Jovi (just to name a few).

In 1976, Gene Simmons financed the demo for the then-unknown Van Halen, which lead to the latter's first record deal. In their later years, Kiss brought Motley Crue and Bon Jovi on as opening acts during their tours.

Lastly, the Kiss "Alive!" record was one of the most successful live albums of the past 30 years. It was their breakthrough which lead to a huge audience, which up until "Alive's" release, Kiss had a large cult following based less on their first three albums but almost entirely on their bombastic live show. From 1975-1978, Kiss was one of the most popular and financially successful groups of its time. They re-created a career revival when the four original members reunited between 1996-2000 and toured together. Their 1996 Kiss and Make Up Tour was the most profitable of the year.

Here's a quick sample of their spectacular live show from 1977:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e83wPKqh47E&feature=related

I think the fact that Gene Simmons tries to merchandise everything and anything (i.e. Kiss Koffin, Kiss Kondoms) has negatively impacted Kiss' HOF candidacy.

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: goombah] #581868
09/29/10 09:12 AM
09/29/10 09:12 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I don't really know the criteria is used other than the longevity of the inductee (25 years?). I'm not a fan of several, don't even know a couple (Nora Nyro, Chuck Willis).

I too would have thought Alice Cooper should have been years ago, as well as J. Geils, Neil Diamond. Gosh and Donovan & Darlene Love too. They've been around forever.

As far as Kiss goes, I can't say I've been a fan (although I don't dislike them). I guess I'd agree that if they were inducted for anything it probably would be for their shows. Years ago I was in L.A. showing my family around and we stopped at the Hard Rock Cafe. The line was huge and we just assumed there was a wait because it was a popular place. When we walked in we saw statues of KISS (and others). I still didn't think much of it. I mean, we were in the Hard Rock. As we were eating they introduced, for our entertainment none other than KISS. eek My niece jumped up all excited and grabbed her camera.

My poor parents were sitting right by the speakers as they blasted the music. lol The waitress came to the table to give them earplugs. Needless to say, my parents didn't even know who KISS was. My father still laughs and says, "well, at least I'm glad I got to see KISS." lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/29/10 09:13 AM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581870
09/29/10 09:37 AM
09/29/10 09:37 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
People either love Neil Diamond or hate him, but regardless he belongs in the Hall. I thought Cooper was more of a novelty act and am surprised he is in contention. Ditto for Kiss.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: dontomasso] #581876
09/29/10 09:59 AM
09/29/10 09:59 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
People either love Neil Diamond or hate him, but regardless he belongs in the Hall. I thought Cooper was more of a novelty act and am surprised he is in contention. Ditto for Kiss.

Do you think Neil Diamond will thank "E.T." during his induction speech? wink

I agree - Cooper did not have the longevity of Kiss, although their "shock rock" inspiration was inspired in part by Alice Cooper and the New York Dolls.

There was an unusual story about Kiss. They played at sold-out Dodger Stadium on Halloween 1998. After the show, they were still in full costume while being driven back to their hotel. There was so much gridlock that they got out and walked. Since it was Halloween, not many people even game them a second glance.

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: goombah] #581883
09/29/10 11:35 AM
09/29/10 11:35 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Goombah, I just read "Look Me In The Eye". It's the autobiography of John Elder Robinson, brother of author Augustin Burrroughs ("Running With Scissors"). He was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult, but suffered for years as that boy who had no place in society.

He was a genius with electronics and explosives, though, and he devised many of the KISS pyrotechnics. His stories of touring with the band and blowing up Ace's Les Paul's are probably something you would enjoy. Most of the time, his "lab" consisted of the other bed in his hotel room. Before John invented the smoking guitars and explosions that made KISS famous (implementing ideas of Ace's), it truly was unheard of.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: goombah] #581886
09/29/10 11:41 AM
09/29/10 11:41 AM
California

California
You know, I never gave it a second thought about Neil Diamond being in the R&R HOF until some comments here AND as I was listening to the radio this morning where they are having a "call-in" to see if he should be. eek

I realize he has many (if not mostly) ballads but in his day, and when I was young teen he definitely was a top forty favorite and played only on the R&R stations. My dad always laughed and said he "mumbled" his words, which I found amazing since I loved his deep clear voice. NOW, my dad admits he really isn't that bad. smile

His first song was Solitary Man (a ballad) but his first big hit was Rock, Cherry Cherry Also, Thank The Lord For The Nightime and don't forget "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", one of my favorites. Perhaps bubblegum music, but Rock nonetheless. Oh, and Neil is a songwriter for many artists including The Monkees (I'm A Believer, to name one), if writing counts. Oh, and I can't say I was one of them, but back in the day it was not unusual for a teenage girl to have his picture hanging in her room. smile

His voice isn't as crisp today, I'm guessing due to age. However, I had the privilege of seeing him in person in the late 60's at a local college in Grand Rapids. He was awesome. smile

Oh, and FWIW, listening to the radio poll which admittedly is an Oldie station (then again, wouldn't those who actually remember be credible?), so far 63 percent say he IS considered R&R.

Interesting discussion though. I never ever would have questioned or thought about this until hearing the backlash.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581889
09/29/10 11:46 AM
09/29/10 11:46 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Wait a minute...Neil Diamond is rock and roll? confused lol

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lilo] #581896
09/29/10 12:39 PM
09/29/10 12:39 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Wait a minute...Neil Diamond is rock and roll? confused lol

Boy, I must be old. Not that I don't "get" the other side of this, cause I see what you mean, BUT I'm so surprised this is even an issue. eek I never really thought when I woke up this morning that I'd actually be defending Neil Diamond of all people. lol

What about other inductees like: The Righteous Brothers, Roy Orbison, Abba, Simon & Garfunkel, Little Anthony???? Where exactly is the line as far as R&R? I see even Johnny Cash made it. confused Come on, my old peers, chime in. wink

TIS

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581910
09/29/10 02:22 PM
09/29/10 02:22 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Perhaps it should be renamed the "Popular Music Hall of Fame."

The other posts have made some valid points - some of the inductees are not coming from the "rock" genre. Come to think of it, isn't Run DMC in the HOF? They have as much similarity to "rock" music as Metallica is does to "country."

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: goombah] #581914
09/29/10 02:39 PM
09/29/10 02:39 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Madonna is in the Rock Hall of Fame so like you say it probably should be just popular music. But "rock" is so broad anyway I don't know where the lines are....probably somewhere right around Neil Diamond... whistle grin (just kidding all you Neil Diamond fans...)

Winter is Coming

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #581923
09/29/10 03:06 PM
09/29/10 03:06 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

In the comment section of the yahoo link I saw this and thought it was funny.

And why hasn't Rush been inducted? Perhaps it's because of the combination of pseudo-intellectual lyrics, overly-busy drumming and guitar playing, and Geddy Lee's 'my balls were crushed' voice and 'play as many notes as possible' bass playing. A trainwreck.

Winter is Coming

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lilo] #581945
09/29/10 10:19 PM
09/29/10 10:19 PM
California

California
Madonna is in the Rock Hall of Fame so like you say it probably should be just popular music. But "rock" is so broad anyway I don't know where the lines are....probably somewhere right around Neil Diamond... whistle grin (just kidding all you Neil Diamond fans...)

I think I'm gonna buy Lilo Neil Diamonds Greatest Hits for his birthday, so he can hear some real R&R. tongue wink

TIS

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #581960
09/30/10 06:38 AM
09/30/10 06:38 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Coming to a town near you in June 2011!!!!!

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know:
Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka and Barry Manilow

Together again for the first time these titans of rock perform all their greatest hits and several new ones. Bring your earplugs and hide your daughters-these bad boys play by their own rules!!! wink

Winter is Coming

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lilo] #581970
09/30/10 08:28 AM
09/30/10 08:28 AM
California

California
Ha ha ha ha!!!! It's gonna get wild Lilo!!! lol Don't know if you can hang with such a group.

TIS

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lilo] #581988
09/30/10 01:12 PM
09/30/10 01:12 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Coming to a town near you in June 2011!!!!!

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know:
Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka and Barry Manilow

Together again for the first time these titans of rock perform all their greatest hits and several new ones. Bring your earplugs and hide your daughters-these bad boys play by their own rules!!! wink

I heard they do lines of Metamucil right off the top of the piano!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: dontomasso] #581997
09/30/10 01:42 PM
09/30/10 01:42 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
People either love Neil Diamond or hate him, but regardless he belongs in the Hall...

I agree but if Neil belongs in there, then SO does Barry Manilow. Laugh it you like, but Manilow made some great music during the 70's & 80's and has continued to perform and record to this day. (Not looking to terrific, though...from photos it seems he had some pretty lousy facework done.)

That said...unless it's already happened and I missed it, I am awaiting the R&RHOF recognition of Stevie Nicks. She deserves induction on her own, as a solo artist not just with Fleetwood Mac.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 09/30/10 01:44 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: AppleOnYa] #582002
09/30/10 02:47 PM
09/30/10 02:47 PM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
ALICE COOPER!!

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Don Zadjali] #582022
09/30/10 10:54 PM
09/30/10 10:54 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Rock 'n Roll HOF has a very wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide definition, like those crazy rockers Simon and Garfunkel, so let them have their fun. I like the choice of Donovan, definetly not a "rocker" but he had a major influence on the folkie scene in the 60's. (The call me(?) Mellow Yellow) It's funny how different organizations define "Hall of Fame". Baseball is all about stacking up statistics via longevity. Not sure what the R&R criteria is.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: MaryCas] #582030
10/01/10 12:08 AM
10/01/10 12:08 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Neil Diamond belongs. I like Alice Cooper a good bit, but if the Hall is to induct the cream of the crop, I think he needs to buy a ticket to get inside.

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: klydon1] #582033
10/01/10 04:49 AM
10/01/10 04:49 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Tom Waits is NOT in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame???
What are you doing to your great artists?

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Danito] #582045
10/01/10 10:55 AM
10/01/10 10:55 AM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Wow, I'm a huge Donovan fan so Im really happy he's being considered. Donovan never gets enough credit for the music he wrote or the effect that he had on psychedelic folk music so that a really nice gesture from the rock n roll hall of fame.

LL Cool J? Really? Give me a break. The effect that he's had on music is so ridiculously minimal compared to bands not nominated, like KISS. What a Joke.

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lovecraft] #582259
10/03/10 06:16 PM
10/03/10 06:16 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Lovecraft
like KISS.

What effect did they have?

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Danito] #582663
10/08/10 01:36 PM
10/08/10 01:36 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: Lovecraft
like KISS.

Kiss' 1976 "Destroyer Tour" is one of the most kick-ass events in Rock history (not that I'm old enough to remember) but so I've heard cool

Last edited by Ice; 10/08/10 01:37 PM.

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Danito] #582668
10/08/10 01:59 PM
10/08/10 01:59 PM
R'lyeh
Lovecraft Offline
Made Member
Lovecraft  Offline
Made Member
R'lyeh
Originally Posted By: Danito
Originally Posted By: Lovecraft
like KISS.

Danito,

KISS, in my opinion, is not an exceptional musical act. Though I do believe that they are the masters of 'arena rock' (whatever that is), I've never been a big fan of theirs. However, I think it would be hard to argue that they haven't played a massive role in the evolution of the live show; transforming a gig into a concert, a performance.

Kiss's live album 'Alive!' has also left its mark on music history. Besides being one of the biggest selling live albums of all time, it re-popularized the live album in the mid 70's.

Regardless of your feelings on their music, you have to give them credit for being the most recognizable band in the world!

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lovecraft] #588285
12/15/10 04:41 AM
12/15/10 04:41 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
2010 Rock n Roll HOF Inductees

Neil Diamond
Alice Cooper smile
Dr. John
Darlene Love
Tom Waits smile

http://ca.topmodel.yahoo.com/s/capress/101214/entertainment/us_rock_hall_of_fame

Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #588289
12/15/10 08:27 AM
12/15/10 08:27 AM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
I was glad to see Neil Diamond get in.

It is better to beg for forgivness than ask for permission.
Re: 2010 Rock HOF Finalists (KISS snubbed again) [Re: Lorenzo] #588298
12/15/10 09:52 AM
12/15/10 09:52 AM
California

California
With the exception of Tom Waits, who I am not that familiar with, I like them all. smile

TIS

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull