GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 343 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 73 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #632758
02/01/12 10:58 PM
02/01/12 10:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
See, this is the problem with laymen analyzing criminal justice.
1. Per what statutes were they prosecuted?
1A. What does the statute state? What are its predicates?
2. In what states were they prosecuted?
3. What evidence was presented?
4. How was the evidence argued by the prosecution and the defense?
5. Were they bench trials or a jury trials?
6. Were they plea-bargained?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #632843
02/02/12 06:35 PM
02/02/12 06:35 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: olivant

All legitimate questions (arguments), but when presented in the local newspaper what conclusions would you come to? BTW, number 3 is someone I know.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #632853
02/02/12 07:58 PM
02/02/12 07:58 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Let's keep it simple !

There are to many loop holes ! And a GOOD attorney should know them.

If ya get in trouble find the dirty's attorney that you can find !! You don't wanna pussy that is gonna let you set ?

Just sayen ! wink

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frosty] #633445
02/06/12 08:58 PM
02/06/12 08:58 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Well this is somewhat disturbing...

Missouri Teenager Describes Killing As 'Ahmazing' And 'Pretty Enjoyable'

Source: The Huffington Post

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A Missouri teenager who admitted stabbing, strangling and slitting the throat of a young neighbor girl wrote in her journal on the night of the killing that it was an "ahmazing" and "pretty enjoyable" experience – then headed off to church with a laugh.

The words written by Alyssa Bustamante were read aloud in court Monday as part of a sentencing hearing to determine whether she should get life in prison or something less for the October 2009 murder of her neighbor, 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, in a small town west of Jefferson City.

Bustamante, 18, sat silently – occasionally glancing at those testifying about her, often looking down or to the side – as law enforcement officers, attorneys and forensics experts read aloud her inner most thoughts that she had recorded as a 15-year-old high school sophomore.

The most poignant part of Monday's testimony came when a handwriting expert described how he was able to see through the blue ink that Bustamante had used in an attempt to cover up her original journal entry on the night of Elizabeth's murder. He then read the entry aloud in court:

"I just f------ killed someone. I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead. I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the "ohmygawd I can't do this" feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol."

The journal entry was presented to the judge not long after Elizabeth's mother and other relatives pleaded with Cole County Circuit Judge Pat Joyce to impose the maximum sentence. Bustamante pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and armed criminal action last month and faces at most a sentence of life in prison with a chance for parole. The least she could get is 10 years.

Elizabeth's mother, Patty Preiss, described her daughter as "happy, little girl," when she left her home about 5 p.m. after begging to go play with Bustamante's younger sister. Preiss said she told Elizabeth to be back for dinner at 6 p.m. but never saw her again.

"So much has been lost at the hands of this evil monster," Preiss tearfully said, with Bustamante sitting several feet away. "Elizabeth was given a death sentence and we were given a life sentence."

With Bustamante looking at her, Preiss said: "I hate her, I hate everything about her." The judge cut off her testimony when she described Bustamante as "not even human."

FBI agents seized the journal from Bustamante's bedroom during a search of her family's home the day after Elizabeth went missing as hundreds of volunteers scoured the rural area around St. Martin's.

Bustamante suggested to FBI and the Missouri State Highway Patrol officials that the girl had probably been kidnapped and that whoever had done so deserved to be convicted.

At one point, law enforcement officers discovered a hole in the ground in the shape of a shallow grave near Bustamante's home. They testified that Bustamante acknowledged digging it but said she just liked to dig holes. It was only later that Elizabeth's body was found concealed under leaves in another grave in the woods behind the Bustamante home.

At a hearing in 2009, Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified that the teenager told him "she wanted to know what it felt like" to kill someone.

Defense attorneys Monday highlighted Bustamante's troubled childhood as part of their argument about why she should receive leniency. They referred to numerous references in her journal in the two months before the murder, describing her suicidal feelings and the urge to hurt herself and others.

At one point Bustamante had written that she intended to burn down a house and kill all the occupants, but she never followed through with that. On Oct. 14, one week before Elizabeth's slaying, Bustamante had written that she was unable to use her cell phone because the charger had died, which meant she couldn't talk to anyone about the depression and rage she was feeling.

"If I don't talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone's going to die," she wrote in a journal that was read to the court by her defense attorney, Charlie Moreland.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: XDCX] #633482
02/06/12 11:18 PM
02/06/12 11:18 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted By: XDCX
Well this is somewhat disturbing...

Missouri Teenager Describes Killing As 'Ahmazing' And 'Pretty Enjoyable'

Source: The Huffington Post

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A Missouri teenager who admitted stabbing, strangling and slitting the throat of a young neighbor girl wrote in her journal on the night of the killing that it was an "ahmazing" and "pretty enjoyable" experience – then headed off to church with a laugh.

The words written by Alyssa Bustamante were read aloud in court Monday as part of a sentencing hearing to determine whether she should get life in prison or something less for the October 2009 murder of her neighbor, 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten, in a small town west of Jefferson City.

Bustamante, 18, sat silently – occasionally glancing at those testifying about her, often looking down or to the side – as law enforcement officers, attorneys and forensics experts read aloud her inner most thoughts that she had recorded as a 15-year-old high school sophomore.

The most poignant part of Monday's testimony came when a handwriting expert described how he was able to see through the blue ink that Bustamante had used in an attempt to cover up her original journal entry on the night of Elizabeth's murder. He then read the entry aloud in court:

"I just f------ killed someone. I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead. I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the "ohmygawd I can't do this" feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol."

The journal entry was presented to the judge not long after Elizabeth's mother and other relatives pleaded with Cole County Circuit Judge Pat Joyce to impose the maximum sentence. Bustamante pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and armed criminal action last month and faces at most a sentence of life in prison with a chance for parole. The least she could get is 10 years.

Elizabeth's mother, Patty Preiss, described her daughter as "happy, little girl," when she left her home about 5 p.m. after begging to go play with Bustamante's younger sister. Preiss said she told Elizabeth to be back for dinner at 6 p.m. but never saw her again.

"So much has been lost at the hands of this evil monster," Preiss tearfully said, with Bustamante sitting several feet away. "Elizabeth was given a death sentence and we were given a life sentence."

With Bustamante looking at her, Preiss said: "I hate her, I hate everything about her." The judge cut off her testimony when she described Bustamante as "not even human."

FBI agents seized the journal from Bustamante's bedroom during a search of her family's home the day after Elizabeth went missing as hundreds of volunteers scoured the rural area around St. Martin's.

Bustamante suggested to FBI and the Missouri State Highway Patrol officials that the girl had probably been kidnapped and that whoever had done so deserved to be convicted.

At one point, law enforcement officers discovered a hole in the ground in the shape of a shallow grave near Bustamante's home. They testified that Bustamante acknowledged digging it but said she just liked to dig holes. It was only later that Elizabeth's body was found concealed under leaves in another grave in the woods behind the Bustamante home.

At a hearing in 2009, Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice testified that the teenager told him "she wanted to know what it felt like" to kill someone.

Defense attorneys Monday highlighted Bustamante's troubled childhood as part of their argument about why she should receive leniency. They referred to numerous references in her journal in the two months before the murder, describing her suicidal feelings and the urge to hurt herself and others.

At one point Bustamante had written that she intended to burn down a house and kill all the occupants, but she never followed through with that. On Oct. 14, one week before Elizabeth's slaying, Bustamante had written that she was unable to use her cell phone because the charger had died, which meant she couldn't talk to anyone about the depression and rage she was feeling.

"If I don't talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone's going to die," she wrote in a journal that was read to the court by her defense attorney, Charlie Moreland.
It is a Sick World ! I really hate to say that it is going to get any better. I see kids , killing their parents confused rich familys . The Mendoz brothers. A young man in colo. youngen, his older brother had just left , and he killed his mom and dad and I believe another sibling . Sure wish someone had the answer .

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frosty] #633529
02/07/12 08:05 AM
02/07/12 08:05 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Frosty
It's a personal thing ! Close and Sweet wink carried one for years have a few . Alway's have enjoyed and they have been special to my body are !

Original geschrieben von: Frosty
It is a Sick World !

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #633573
02/07/12 02:14 PM
02/07/12 02:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours 1 minutes ago 2012-02-07T18:09:09

"SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court has declared California's Proposition 8 unconstitutional, paving the way for a likely U.S. Supreme Court showdown on the voter-approved law, NBC News is reporting. A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 Tuesday that a lower court judge interpreted the U.S. Constitution correctly in 2010 when he declared the ban, known as Proposition 8, to be a violation of the civil rights of gays and lesbians."

I imagine the decision is destined to be reviewed en banc by the 9th and may eventually find its way to the SCOTUS.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #633641
02/07/12 07:45 PM
02/07/12 07:45 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
NBC News and news services updated 2 hours 1 minutes ago 2012-02-07T18:09:09

"SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court has declared California's Proposition 8 unconstitutional, paving the way for a likely U.S. Supreme Court showdown on the voter-approved law, NBC News is reporting. A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 Tuesday that a lower court judge interpreted the U.S. Constitution correctly in 2010 when he declared the ban, known as Proposition 8, to be a violation of the civil rights of gays and lesbians."

I imagine the decision is destined to be reviewed en banc by the 9th and may eventually find its way to the SCOTUS.

Independent of whether one thinks gay marriage is a good thing or not, what exactly makes rules against gay marriage a federal issue? For example, the State of NY allows first cousin marriage. The state of Michigan does not. So presumably if two NY cousins moved to MI and wanted to be married they'd be out of luck. Would they then have a federal case? I want to understand why this didn't end for good or bad at the California SC.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #633670
02/08/12 12:56 AM
02/08/12 12:56 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
The basis of the opinion is the 14th amendment's equal protection of the law provision. The opinion holds that Proposition 8 does not serve any legitimate state interest and that it was only intended to disparage gay people.

Regarding your cousin's scenario, if either state applied its law against marriages within the 1st consangunity to all proposed marriages, then it would not be construed as violating equal protection. In addition, federal courts have generally allowed states wide latitude to apply their own policies despite Article IV's full faith and credit clause.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #633872
02/08/12 09:57 PM
02/08/12 09:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
(CNN) -- Lawmakers in Washington State voted Wednesday in favor of a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage.

"With today's vote, we tell the nation that Washington state will no longer deny our citizens the opportunity to marry the person they love," said Gov. Chris Gregoire. "We tell every child of same-sex couples that their family is every bit as equal and important as all other families in our state. And we take a major step toward completing a long and important journey to end discrimination based on sexual orientation."

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #633879
02/08/12 10:23 PM
02/08/12 10:23 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Good for Washington.
Good for California too.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #634792
02/13/12 09:16 PM
02/13/12 09:16 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Washington (CNN) -- Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was robbed last week by an intruder armed with a machete while Breyer was vacationing on the Caribbean island of Nevis, court officials said Monday.

Breyer, his wife and two other guests were in the justice's vacation home at the time, but officials said no one was hurt in the incident.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #635076
02/15/12 06:31 PM
02/15/12 06:31 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
This is just disgusting! mad

Mother raped own daughter for 'sex education'

Source: GlobalPost.com

A mother of four who raped her 11-year-old daughter and filmed it as a form of "sex education" has been jailed for four years in Australia.

The 37-year-old woman from Queensland's Sunshine Coast made three films using her mobile phone showing her raping her youngest child and exposed her to other sexual activity "in response to repeated questions," The Sunshine Daily reported.

Judge John Robertson said sexual offenses against children by their own mothers were "rare," describing the relationship between mother and child as "seminal in our society."

He told the woman she had "no psychological or intellectual reason to explain this shocking behavior," as she had "a normal loving upbringing with parents and family who still support you."

The court heard that the woman started seeing the father of her four children — 16 years her senior — when she was "virtually a child" at age 14. She had her first child at 16.

She later began a cyber-sex relationship with a man and "became obsessed with sex." She would allow her daughter to view sexual videos the two sent to each other.

"From the start you characterized your behavior as some form of bizarre sex education with the child which did not involve sexual gratification from you... You were obsessed with sex and your life was in chaos," Robertson reportedly said.

He also said the mother, through her "selfish criminal conduct," had deprived her daughter of the right to "a wholesome and loving relationship with her mother."

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: MaryCas] #635136
02/16/12 01:29 AM
02/16/12 01:29 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

All legitimate questions (arguments), but when presented in the local newspaper what conclusions would you come to? BTW, number 3 is someone I know.

In addition to the factors that olivant has listed, the defendant's prior record can significantly alter the sentencing guidelines. In PA we weigh the gravity of the offfense (each offense has a gravity score from 1-10) against the prior record score to get standard, mitigated and aggravated ranges of sentences. If the judge departs from the guidelines, especially if he goes into the high aggravated range or beyond, he or she better state the reasons on the record.

You noted that the cop, who killed his wife and fabricated a defense of self-defense, got off light. For the most part I have found that peace officers, who are sentenced for crimes that do not involve a breach of their duties as officers, get mitigated sentences.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #635274
02/16/12 07:57 PM
02/16/12 07:57 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Justice ? Rope ! Crime ? All that are with in child abuse & neglect, animals included in this statue ! Spouse abuse (only if it is overdone, and for what reason's) ! Includes BOTH sex's!

NO thefts, of anykind will be permitted, booze, money, etc.. Or those found doing it may be shot and killed on the spot ! (Just make sure they have the shit in their hands !

NO, threats of verbal, assaultive behavior, Drop the SOB before he drops you, but watch how many witness's or do it faster than a bolt of lighting ! May use , the following, cane, stilleto, (knife) just make sure it is sharp and where you put it !

Fights, don't talk , just do what has to be done ! Smile and deck , poke thar eyes out, hit the windpipe , hit upper belly ,mid sternum ! kick in knee cap, block any pass around your pretty face or prtoect your nuts or equipment ladies ! Also GROIN them , break some rocks ! Both Men and Women !

I hate Yelling but Yell like a Mother Fucker , who knows ya just might wake up a cop that wants to get a promotion !

If you like these then say so, and ask for more !

I will be more than happy to serve , protect, your loved ones !

Frosty

There is only one Winner and If you do it right it had better be you wink cool Just sayen !

Last edited by Frosty; 02/16/12 08:28 PM.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #636454
02/24/12 08:32 PM
02/24/12 08:32 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
How long will she get away with this?

Gay Texas Judge refuses to perform marriages

Quote:
Texas Judge Tonya Parker cannot legally marry a woman in her state, so she refuses to perform any marriage ceremonies until there is equality. She finds it "oxymoronic" to perform a ceremony that cannot be performed for her.
Parker, an openly gay judge, told a group at a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas meeting Tuesday that when she turns a couple away, she uses it as an opportunity to teach them a lesson about marriage equality.
"I don't perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality and until it does, I'm not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn't apply to another group of people," Parker said in a video of the Tuesday discussion. "And it's kind of oxymoronic for me to perform ceremonies that can't be performed for me, so I'm not going to do it."
A spokeswoman for the Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct said the commission had no comment.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #636456
02/24/12 08:56 PM
02/24/12 08:56 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
How long will she get away with this?

Gay Texas Judge refuses to perform marriages

Quote:
Texas Judge Tonya Parker cannot legally marry a woman in her state, so she refuses to perform any marriage ceremonies until there is equality. She finds it "oxymoronic" to perform a ceremony that cannot be performed for her.
Parker, an openly gay judge, told a group at a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas meeting Tuesday that when she turns a couple away, she uses it as an opportunity to teach them a lesson about marriage equality.
"I don't perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality and until it does, I'm not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn't apply to another group of people," Parker said in a video of the Tuesday discussion. "And it's kind of oxymoronic for me to perform ceremonies that can't be performed for me, so I'm not going to do it."
A spokeswoman for the Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct said the commission had no comment.
;)Maybe she can sell Dousche bags , Kirby's, Hoover's, Mary Kay or something ! Victoria Secret ! cool

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #636464
02/24/12 10:09 PM
02/24/12 10:09 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Lilo, I don't blame her. I can't imagine being denied the right to commit to the person you love. You are forever shoved aside (legally) for someone else who is their "next of kin".

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frosty] #636466
02/24/12 10:17 PM
02/24/12 10:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I don't think it would take much to get a district court judge to issue a Writ of Mandamus to compel her to perform the marriage. Her refusal to obey the Writ would then be grounds for her removal from her office.

Madonne! Her reference to not applying the law. Texas statute and constitution both define marriage quite clearly.

Last edited by olivant; 02/24/12 10:19 PM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #636467
02/24/12 10:36 PM
02/24/12 10:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Sometimes you need to take a stand for your beliefs. There were lots of things that were against the law at one time. I couldn't vote. A black woman and I couldn't use the same restroom. If it wasn't for the courage of certain people to take a stand against a law they felt was just plain wrong, then where would we be??

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #636470
02/24/12 10:56 PM
02/24/12 10:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
She's a judge for Christ's sake. She took an oath to uphold the Texas and US Constitutions. She knew that when she ran for election and when she took the oath.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #636520
02/25/12 10:42 AM
02/25/12 10:42 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Lilo, I don't blame her. I can't imagine being denied the right to commit to the person you love. You are forever shoved aside (legally) for someone else who is their "next of kin".

I know what you mean SB. But if she feels so strongly about it shouldn't she be working for a gay rights organization so there is no conflict between her ethics and her job responsibilities? Dunno.

Last edited by Lilo; 02/25/12 10:52 AM.

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #636582
02/25/12 04:06 PM
02/25/12 04:06 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Perhaps she should be a lobbyist instead of a judge. That's not my call. However, as I said, if not for the courage of a few, most laws that we now consider odious would never have changed.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #636590
02/25/12 04:33 PM
02/25/12 04:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Perhaps she should be a lobbyist instead of a judge. That's not my call. However, as I said, if not for the courage of a few, most laws that we now consider odious would never have changed.

Judges stand at the apogee of the our justice system. When their integrity is impugned, it impugnes the integrity of the entire justice system. Loyalty above all else except honor.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #637435
02/29/12 06:20 AM
02/29/12 06:20 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Link

Quote:
A federal appeals court has found a Florida man's constitutional rights were violated when he was imprisoned for refusing to decrypt data on several devices. This is the first time an appellate court has ruled the 5th Amendment protects against forced decryption - a major victory for constitutional rights in the digital age.

In this case, titled United States v. Doe, FBI agents seized two laptops and five external hard drives from a man they were investigating but were unable to access encrypted data they believed was stored on the devices via an encryption program called TrueCrypt. When a grand jury ordered the man to produce the unencrypted contents of the drives, he invoked his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and refused to do so. The court held him in contempt and sent him to jail.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed an amicus brief under seal, arguing that the man had a valid Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination, and that the government's attempt to force him to decrypt the data was unconstitutional. The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed, ruling that the act of decrypting data is testimonial and therefore protected by the Fifth Amendment. Furthermore, the government's limited offer of immunity in this case was insufficient to protect his constitutional right, because it did not extend to the government's use of the decrypted data as evidence against him in a prosecution.

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #637549
02/29/12 07:46 PM
02/29/12 07:46 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A federal mandate requiring tobacco companies to place graphic images on their products warning of the dangers of smoking was tossed out Wednesday by a [federal]judge in Washington, with the judge saying the requirements were a violation of free speech.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #637614
03/01/12 06:21 AM
03/01/12 06:21 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A federal mandate requiring tobacco companies to place graphic images on their products warning of the dangers of smoking was tossed out Wednesday by a [federal]judge in Washington, with the judge saying the requirements were a violation of free speech.

How is that possible? Wasn't labeling settled law?

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #637735
03/01/12 06:46 PM
03/01/12 06:46 PM
Frosty Offline
BANNED
Frosty  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo

How is that possible? Wasn't labeling settled law?
wink Lilo, my friend if we could figure out what is going on in Washington with all there rolleyes we might have a idea to get this country on track ! The right one !

Frosty

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #638855
03/08/12 06:33 AM
03/08/12 06:33 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I don't think there's a way to defend this. Turley makes good points in my view.

Obama's Kill Policy

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #638967
03/08/12 05:42 PM
03/08/12 05:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
(CNN) -- Mississippi's Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the controversial pardons of more than 200 convicts that former Gov. Haley Barbour granted on his way out of office, rejecting a challenge by the state's attorney general.

Page 14 of 73 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull