GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, VanillaLimeCoke, 2 invisible), 363 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,850
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,407
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pentangali == Clemenza??? #580522
09/07/10 02:14 PM
09/07/10 02:14 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
so, I know that the Pentangali character was created to replace Clemenza as a result of Costellano wanting too high a salary. This being said... is Pentangali's character a direct port of what would have been Clemenza? ie the attempted "snitching", tongue lashing of Mike, etc??? This has always puzzled me.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: FrankWhite] #580524
09/07/10 02:19 PM
09/07/10 02:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
No. It was to illustrate a natural progression. Remember that Clemenza was as old as Vito, weighed a ton, and ate salami every morning for breakfast. That he lasted as long as he did without a heart attack was a miracle. GFII could have been screenwritten from day 1 without Clemenza in any scenario.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: olivant] #580528
09/07/10 02:34 PM
09/07/10 02:34 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
oh... I see... so the novel ends with the end of GFI??? and hello Oliv... good to hear from you... long time ;-).

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: olivant] #580532
09/07/10 02:52 PM
09/07/10 02:52 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
No. It was to illustrate a natural progression. Remember that Clemenza was as old as Vito, weighed a ton, and ate salami every morning for breakfast. That he lasted as long as he did without a heart attack was a miracle. GFII could have been screenwritten from day 1 without Clemenza in any scenario.

clap And cannoli for desert every night, with a big dose of Chinese before any big job.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: FrankWhite] #580535
09/07/10 03:16 PM
09/07/10 03:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Frank, many people here have speculated on what Clemenza's role would have been if Castellano had signed on for II. The most-often held assumption is that he would have played out as did Pentangeli: betrying Michael. That led to a lot of hand-wringing here--how could someone we know, love and trust like Clemenza betray Michael? All I know is that, if Castellano had signed on, the script might have been written entirely differently. Perhaps Clemenza would have been loyal to Michael and helped him fight Roth, or have gotten killed in the process?

While it's too bad Paramount and Castellano couldn't come to terms, as Olivant noted, it was credible to write around him, given age, physical condition, etc. (given his condition, I wondered how he survived climbing all those stairs near the end of GF). What matters more is that Michael V. Gazzo, as Pentangeli, makes GFII.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Turnbull] #580541
09/07/10 03:38 PM
09/07/10 03:38 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
yes TB... you are right. he definitely does make the film (along with De Niro). I love Clemenza and just never established the same warmth for the Pentangeli character.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: FrankWhite] #580615
09/08/10 06:12 AM
09/08/10 06:12 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
1) Castellano did not refuse because of the salary. His wife who had a minor role as Mrs. Clemenza in GF1 took over the correspondence with Coppolla.
http://www.http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558311

2) In the comment on GF2 FFC says that he more or less simply replaced Clemenza by Pentangeli. To me it makes perfect sense: The betrayal of Clemenza to whom Michael had a very close relationship would have been another piece of the whole picture: Michael loses all the people who meant something to him and/or kills them. His relationship to Pentangeli is loyalty because of his father. His relationship to Clemenza is friendship or even a nephew-uncle-relationship.
There were a few minor changes, like the black armband of Pentangeli. Even the appearance of the brother at the hearing makes sense: We had seen old Clemenza in GF, we see young Clemenza in GF2, and now we'd see his Sicilian roots.
Also: In the end, Tom says "you were always interested in politics and history. I remember you calling about Hitler back in '33." This refers to the scene in GF where Clemenza says to Michael: "You know you got to stop them at the beginning, like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich."

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Danito] #580623
09/08/10 08:13 AM
09/08/10 08:13 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: Danito
1) Castellano did not refuse because of the salary. His wife who had a minor role as Mrs. Clemenza in GF1 took over the correspondence with Coppolla.
http://www.http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558311

2) In the comment on GF2 FFC says that he more or less simply replaced Clemenza by Pentangeli. To me it makes perfect sense: The betrayal of Clemenza to whom Michael had a very close relationship would have been another piece of the whole picture: Michael loses all the people who meant something to him and/or kills them. His relationship to Pentangeli is loyalty because of his father. His relationship to Clemenza is friendship or even a nephew-uncle-relationship.
There were a few minor changes, like the black armband of Pentangeli. Even the appearance of the brother at the hearing makes sense: We had seen old Clemenza in GF, we see young Clemenza in GF2, and now we'd see his Sicilian roots.
Also: In the end, Tom says "you were always interested in politics and history. I remember you calling about Hitler back in '33." This refers to the scene in GF where Clemenza says to Michael: "You know you got to stop them at the beginning, like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich."

WOW!!! very interesting input! This reference makes alot of sense. I didn't think of that before, but I guess it does make sense. I just don't wanna believe that about dear old Clemenza.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: FrankWhite] #580638
09/08/10 12:28 PM
09/08/10 12:28 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I'm glad it actually went this way. Clemenza, as we got to know him in part one, was a real oldtimer and would never flip. That would have been very awkward.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Sonny_Black] #580672
09/08/10 06:38 PM
09/08/10 06:38 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Sonny_Black
I'm glad it actually went this way. Clemenza, as we got to know him in part one, was a real oldtimer and would never flip. That would have been very awkward.

Yes, it would be sad. But that's what the GF trilogy is all about. Nobody would wish that Sonny dies or that Tessio turns traitor. Or that Michael becomes a murderer. But it's a tragedy, so the terrible must happen.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Danito] #580708
09/09/10 11:03 AM
09/09/10 11:03 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
It's very interesting to notice my feelings about clemenza as I really don't like "young Clemenza". He's a bit of a punk, IMO. but love him when Costellano plays him. He's funny, charismatic, jovial... just fun, but serious when need be. It's fun to see some one who's in his line of work not take himself too seriously.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Danito] #580710
09/09/10 11:21 AM
09/09/10 11:21 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Yes, it would be sad. But that's what the GF trilogy is all about. Nobody would wish that Sonny dies or that Tessio turns traitor. Or that Michael becomes a murderer. But it's a tragedy, so the terrible must happen.

Yes, but it must be plausible.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: Sonny_Black] #580713
09/09/10 12:00 PM
09/09/10 12:00 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, but it must be plausible.

You raise a good point, Sonny.

Given the long history of Clemenza and the Corleones, and the differences between Clemenza's and Frankie's personalities, I don't think that simply substituting Clemenza into the Pentangeli plotline would have made for a plausible betrayal.

I think Clemenza's presence in the film would have required a very different tack to make the betrayal plausible and tragic.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: The Last Woltz] #580714
09/09/10 12:30 PM
09/09/10 12:30 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Yes indeed, and besides, Pentangeli is a very interesting and believable character who is ingeniously portrayed by Michael V. Gazzo.

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: FrankWhite] #580720
09/09/10 01:08 PM
09/09/10 01:08 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: FrankWhite
It's very interesting to notice my feelings about clemenza as I really don't like "young Clemenza". He's a bit of a punk, IMO. but love him when Costellano plays him. He's funny, charismatic, jovial... just fun, but serious when need be. It's fun to see some one who's in his line of work not take himself too seriously.

Costellano played Clemenza brilliantly. He seemed to think he was really making an honest living. There were so many nice touches to this, including the picture of the Pope in his basement, behind him, when he was teaching Michael how to shoot the pistol, his concern for "pain in the ass innocent bystanders" not being hurt, his instruction to Paulie to watch for kids as he backed out of the driveway, and of course his concern for the cannnoli.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: dontomasso] #580724
09/09/10 01:44 PM
09/09/10 01:44 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline OP
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline OP
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: FrankWhite

Costellano played Clemenza brilliantly. He seemed to think he was really making an honest living. There were so many nice touches to this, including the picture of the Pope in his basement, behind him, when he was teaching Michael how to shoot the pistol, his concern for "pain in the ass innocent bystanders" not being hurt, his instruction to Paulie to watch for kids as he backed out of the driveway, and of course his concern for the cannnoli.

those are good examples DT, but you forgot my favorite display of this: "Why don't you tell that girl you love her Mike? *in his italian accent* I love you with all my heart... if I don't see you again soon, I'm gonna die" lol... CLASSIC ;-)

Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: The Last Woltz] #580728
09/09/10 02:47 PM
09/09/10 02:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
Given the long history of Clemenza and the Corleones, and the differences between Clemenza's and Frankie's personalities, I don't think that simply substituting Clemenza into the Pentangeli plotline would have made for a plausible betrayal.

I think Clemenza's presence in the film would have required a very different tack to make the betrayal plausible and tragic.

You hit the nail on the head.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Pentangali == Clemenza??? [Re: olivant] #580966
09/14/10 09:08 AM
09/14/10 09:08 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
Original geschrieben von: The Last Woltz

You hit the nail on the head.

I think it's a question of acting. Just by reading the script, Pentangeli's betrayal isn't very plausible either.
If we had Castellano in GF2, some of the scenes would have been more hurtful to Clemenza. Imagine these scenes with Clemenza.
- The Tarantella/No Tarantella scene. Compared to the wedding where Clemenza was a guy full of joy he was humiliated, everybody was laughing when he left the stage.
- He had to wait in line, which really was a humiliation, not a sign of old friendship.
- He had to drink water from the hose instead of being served.
- In the "Champaign cocktail" scene, Clemenza must have felt that he had become a pawn in Michael's game.
- He was about to be garroted just like what he did to Carlo.
- The cruelty of bringing Clemenza's brother to the court.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull