GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 346 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,857
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,423
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did Sonny Weaken the Family? #578621
08/04/10 12:39 PM
08/04/10 12:39 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

In another thread there is discussion about Sonny putting 100 button men on the street to kill Sollozzo. That's a lot of button men on relatively short notice, and it shows the Corleone family had significant muscle at the time. I am wondering, with Vito getting shot and never really fully recovering, whether Sonny's bad leadership caused defections
from the family. Also once Sonny was killed this must have caused further weakening of the family due to uncertainty on the street. This is implied by Moe Green who tells Michael
the Corleone family "don't have that kind of muscle ANY MORE."
And also confirmed by Vito -- twice -- once in a deleted scene where Michael upon his return from Sicily tells Vito his compromise on drugs was a sign of weakness, and Vito says the family really is weak, and later when Vito says outright that
Sonny was a "bad Don."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: dontomasso] #578625
08/04/10 01:16 PM
08/04/10 01:16 PM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I don't think you can blame it on Santino like "he weaken the family". it was a rough time for the Corleones and Sonny did exercise bad leadership but I don't think they could've avoided Sollozzo powerquest.

the way Puzo and then FFC put it, it's like the Corleones are admirable, legitimate businessmen minding their own business when the dark side of the mafia confronts them trying to claim what Vito and his reign gained with their hard work.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: dontomasso] #578627
08/04/10 01:25 PM
08/04/10 01:25 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I always thought that Sonny would have wasted the cream of the Corleone fighting force in relatively pointless tactical battles. The book suggests that hearing Sonny rant about fighting to the last man made Clemenza and Tessio uneasy. Certainly the people who actually were on the front lines would have even more reason to feel that way.

Sonny was a berserker who was most effective when pointed at an enemy and released, not when thinking. So I think that's what the Don was admitting.
I think there would have been a few defections during the war, a few more after the peace and perhaps more once it looked like Barzini was ascendant.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: dontomasso] #578628
08/04/10 01:26 PM
08/04/10 01:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
As long as Vito lived, he retained the loyalty of Tessio and Clemenza, and their people (except for Paulie). Sonny had made his bones, and was leading forcefully, if not brilliantly. The other guys' attempt on Vito had failed. And, most important, the cops were cracking down on all the families, so there was nothing to be gained by Corleone men if they defected to another borgata. Had Vito died, I'd have serious doubts about whether Sonny, with his reputation for hotheadedness and his gaffe at the Sollozzo meeting, could have held Tess and Clem's loyalty.

In real life, the Commission stripped Joe Bonanno of his donship and put his former close associate, Gaspar DiGregorio, in the chair. The family split almost down the middle because many Bonanno men resented that Joe had made his son Bill consigliere, and Bill had virtually no experience in the family previously. Even more defected when Joe disappeared and the others thought he was dead. They weren't going to risk their lives for Bill. The only thing that prevented a complete DiGregorio victory was that Gaspar was not only inept, but in failing health.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: Lilo] #578631
08/04/10 01:38 PM
08/04/10 01:38 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Lilo

Sonny was a berserker

Firesign Theatre?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: dontomasso] #578633
08/04/10 01:56 PM
08/04/10 01:56 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Sonny was a berserker

Firesign Theatre?

lol TvTropes...

Leeroy Jenkins

Brooklyn Rage

Berserker

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: Lilo] #578658
08/04/10 05:01 PM
08/04/10 05:01 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB makes good points. But one thing we should keep in mind is that both Puzo and FFC illustrate the idealic Mafia family where family does really mean family. To be sure, the novel states that succession by a don's son to family leadership was by no means guaranteed, but I don't think the Corleones represent the typical Mafia family in a number of ways. In the real world, it might very well be probable that Sonny would have been challenged by the capos after Vito's death.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: olivant] #578776
08/06/10 05:06 AM
08/06/10 05:06 AM
greece
C
constantino Offline
Wiseguy
constantino  Offline
C
Wiseguy
greece
Santino's reaction after the Don been shot was right. What else could he do?Negotiate?Wouldn't that be a sign of weakness?Additionally he achieved two things:
1. Earn time for the family to recover and prove that even without the Don there was leadership.

2. Blackmail everyone in NY that attacking his father would cause another war, a war nobody wanted.

So, even though Santino acted spontaneously, he did the right thing. Remember Michael after the hospital scene, when he says that they wanted Vito dead. The war was the right thing to do. Tom who disaggreed was named a "bad wartime consigliere" by Michael

bonasera bonasera.what I've ever done to you to make you treat me so disrepsectfully
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: constantino] #578803
08/06/10 01:55 PM
08/06/10 01:55 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Santino was a good #2 or even #3 man but he could not think strategically and when his temper was up his rationality went out the window.

Vito thought that the ability to keep cool and think long term were the most critical abilities for a leader to have. So that's why he would have thought Sonny a bad Don.

Winter is Coming

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: Lilo] #578813
08/06/10 04:03 PM
08/06/10 04:03 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with Lilo.

Constantino, killing Sollozzo may have been the right decision, but Sonny certainly arrived at it in the wrong way. He did not have the stragetic goals you seem to credit him with. Regardless of the situation, his reaction would have been to kill Sollozzo. He was like the broken clock which is still right twice a day.

This brings up another question. Tom mentions to Sonny that the other Families might side with Sollozzo to avoid a long, destructive war.

If the Families wanted to avoid a war, why would they side with a relative outsider against the most powerful Family? Wouldn't that make a war much more likely than siding with the Corleones?

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: The Last Woltz] #578814
08/06/10 06:18 PM
08/06/10 06:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
LW, money - all the money that was in drugs. They had to balance that windfall of money against the losses they would suffer as a result of a war. Don't forget that with Vito hospitalized and all that that portended about his future health and Sonny in charge of the family, the other families could feel confident that they would defeat the Corleones. They also might have figured that if they sided with Sollozzo, that the Corleones wold back down.

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: Lilo] #580158
08/31/10 01:19 AM
08/31/10 01:19 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Santino was a good #2 or even #3 man but he could not think strategically and when his temper was up his rationality went out the window.

A good historical comparison would be Patton. Brilliant, dogged commander with his division just as mean as he was.

Except he was also (let's admit it) a psychopath, too impulsive, cause too many (pointless) diplomatic rows with his fellow Allied commanders, and if he had run D-Day he would have launched it against Calais. Exactly where the Nazis were expecting it.

Or to use a pro wrestling metaphor: Sonny is Arn Anderson, not Ric Flair.

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #580168
08/31/10 11:50 AM
08/31/10 11:50 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
If Patton was a psychpath he probably wouldn't have made it as a general. For instance, Bonanno family one-time boss Carmine Galante was diagnosed as a psychopath, and he certainly behaved like one. Everyone feared but above disliked him cause he was very paranoid, completely egocentric and a stone-cold killer. He didn't care about no one but himself. As far as I know, Patton's own men liked him very much. And although Sonny was described as a stone-cold killer, he also had a big heart and would protect the people he cared for with his life. He could be very ruthless, but I don't think he was a psychopath.

I suggest you see the documentary 'The Ice Man' on youtube and then you see how a real psychopath looks like. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xopaCQB4XM0

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: Sonny_Black] #580173
08/31/10 02:32 PM
08/31/10 02:32 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Psychopath is much too strong an appellation to apply to Patton. He was strong-willed which did prove so valuable on the battlefiled, but it was also a characteristic that he failed to mitigate outside the battlefield. But he was far from a psychopath.

It's pretty clear that Sonny did not have his father's strategic genius. He was good tactically and that was all he needed to be at the time. As the novel states, Sonny sought to protect the Corleone empire until Vito could take the reins again. Here again, psychopath is too strong a word to use to describe Sonny. Had he been a psychopath, he probably would have murdered Carlo.

Re: Did Sonny Weaken the Family? [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #580634
09/08/10 11:29 AM
09/08/10 11:29 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Or to use a pro wrestling metaphor: Sonny is Arn Anderson, not Ric Flair.

I like this analogy... but the only thing I see wrong with this is that when Ric gets injured... the horsemen still have to ride. And if they must ride with Arn at the helm, then so be it!

I like Sonny alot. was he aggressive... yeah, sure, but he had a right to be. I actually think that a sign of a good leader is decisiveness; which no one can argue that he was. And I also think Sonny's critical thinking is underrated, as well. I mean... going back to the Paulie situation... it seems (in the film) that no one even suspects Paulie "sold out the old man" except for Sonny and when he says it, it's kinda like people were surprised at his conclusion.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull