GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 293 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,848
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36197
05/05/06 12:42 PM
05/05/06 12:42 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Does anyone think that Mama couldhave been fleshed out a little more? I mean she just sort of dies one day and thats it. Criminally underused character in the trilogy I feel

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36198
05/05/06 02:57 PM
05/05/06 02:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Mama was a presence in the family, and her word probably carried a lot of weight. Notice that she is always scolding Sonny not to interfere with Connie's marriage, and how Michael came to her for help when his family was falling apart.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36199
05/05/06 03:05 PM
05/05/06 03:05 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Mama scolded Sonny only the one time about interfering, during the dinner after Vito's return from the hospital.

While she did play a more prominent role in the novel...I don't think there was much they could've done with her onscreen without bogging down the film. I think FFC was extremely wise to omit that whole Kay-visiting-Mama business. It just wouldn't have played well in the movie.

I do like that deleted scene where she's cooking and Santino informs her of Vito's shooting...but again, that wasn't necessary to the story in the final cut.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36200
05/05/06 03:21 PM
05/05/06 03:21 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
exgigirl Offline
Underboss
exgigirl  Offline
Underboss
Pennsylvania, USA
In GF2, during the part where Vito had killed Fanucci and people were coming to him with their problems, Mama Corleone brought a friend of hers to see Vito about her landlord problems. She knew what was going on, but something like that was problbly the most involved she ever got.

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36201
05/05/06 03:54 PM
05/05/06 03:54 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Funny...when people mention 'mama', I never even think about the younger Mrs. Corleone!! That is and interesting scene where Signora Columbo talks to Vito at his wife's suggestion.

The younger mama also played a bigger role in the book...it was interesting reading how she came to realize and then accept all that was coming.

Still though, I think it was a better decision to have the MAIN focus of both films be Vito and Michael.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36202
05/05/06 06:37 PM
05/05/06 06:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I think she ran the whole show! E vero.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36203
05/05/06 08:17 PM
05/05/06 08:17 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
Yeah thats true actually, younger mama seemed to have more of an impact in her part in the De Niro sequences then the older mama had in both part I and II

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? #36204
05/06/06 08:39 AM
05/06/06 08:39 AM
Walter Mosca Offline
Capo
Walter Mosca  Offline
Capo
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Mamma was anything but clueless. She was just "old school Sicialian." She knew better than to be nagging at Vito all the time (unlike a certain bitchy daughter in law from New Hampshire who came along later). When he was out of work and broke, he brings her all he can afford, and she says, "what a nice pear." When Connie shows up with Merle, she scolds her and tells her to "see her family" and then wait in line for Mike "like everyone else."

She knew what Vito did, and why he did it, and she accepted it. She was plenty "wise" and used that wisdom when it was appropriate.
Mama Corleone - what a woman. Of course she knew. Vito made his own world, where he could take care of all those people around him be they family or friends. He created a better life than what they would have had if he'd been a law abiding citizen, a pawn in the game. She knew all of this, and she believed in it and trusted her husband. She was a very admirable woman. She knew her place (smarter than you may think), this was set at the start of the last century!

Mama Corleone - I salute you.

"Jonny Tightlips... you're shot!
- whered' they get you?"
"I ain't sayin' nutin'."
"But what'll I tell the Doc?!"
"Tell'um to suck a lemon."
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: AppleOnYa] #382575
04/06/07 07:07 PM
04/06/07 07:07 PM
B
bradd10 Offline
Associate
bradd10  Offline
B
Associate
One thing I've also noticed is that the adult Fredo and his mother never have a scene together except when she is dead! The only hint we have to their relationship is when Fredo tells Michael that she'd told him he'd been left by gypsies. God knows, that must have further deepened his insecurity as the middle son. And does anyone think that the pneumonia he suffered as an infant contributed to his mental "slowness"? I mean, he was attended by some neighborhood woman who was using some old country methods on him. Who knows if it really was pneumonia? She was no dcotor!

Last edited by bradd10; 04/06/07 07:16 PM.
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: bradd10] #383205
04/09/07 09:17 AM
04/09/07 09:17 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
 Originally Posted By: bradd10
One thing I've also noticed is that the adult Fredo and his mother never have a scene together except when she is dead! The only hint we have to their relationship is when Fredo tells Michael that she'd told him he'd been left by gypsies. God knows, that must have further deepened his insecurity as the middle son. And does anyone think that the pneumonia he suffered as an infant contributed to his mental "slowness"? I mean, he was attended by some neighborhood woman who was using some old country methods on him. Who knows if it really was pneumonia? She was no dcotor!

I have always thought that the pneumonia was related to his later difficulties.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: The Last Woltz] #383247
04/09/07 11:16 AM
04/09/07 11:16 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
 Originally Posted By: bradd10

I have always thought that the pneumonia was related to his later difficulties.

There is a great scene with Fredo and his mother at the dinner in Tahoe when Connie introduces Merle to Deanna, and Mamma Corleone looks at both of them with digust and makes a negative comment about them to Tom Hagen. She is also in a scene with Fredo as a boy when the family visits Sicily.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: Cristina's Way] #383822
04/10/07 02:37 PM
04/10/07 02:37 PM
H
henry Offline
Button
henry  Offline
H
Button
I think the posts make many good points. There is however one angle that may have been overlooked. That is Mama C's physical appearance. The woman was morbidly obese and as far as we can tell she had no marketable skills. If she lost Mr.Don her prospects were bleak. Of course she may of had true affection for a serial killer but she may also have smart enough to know to keep her mouth shut and go for the ride.

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: henry] #383861
04/10/07 04:21 PM
04/10/07 04:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: henry
I think the posts make many good points. There is however one angle that may have been overlooked. That is Mama C's physical appearance. The woman was morbidly obese and as far as we can tell she had no marketable skills. If she lost Mr.Don her prospects were bleak. Of course she may of had true affection for a serial killer but she may also have smart enough to know to keep her mouth shut and go for the ride.

As a young woman she was good looking, she only chunked up after 40.

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: dontomasso] #410599
07/04/07 11:03 PM
07/04/07 11:03 PM
Margaritaville
Tish Offline
Wiseguy
Tish  Offline
Wiseguy
Margaritaville
Mama knew what was going on. I think she also influenced Vito more than we realize. My money says Mama is the one who came up with the "We don't discuss business at the table" rule.

I gotta go with the folks that said she knew her place and trusted her husband. I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I think she told Vito her thoughts and/or concerns - she was just smart enough to do it privately.

Leave the gun...take the cannoli.
Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: Tish] #410602
07/04/07 11:07 PM
07/04/07 11:07 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Tish
I gotta go with the folks that said she knew her place and trusted her husband. I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I think she told Vito her thoughts and/or concerns - she was just smart enough to do it privately.

I agree.

Welcome to the boards, Tish.

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: SC] #410843
07/05/07 12:41 PM
07/05/07 12:41 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

She was of another generation and of another culture. Of course she knew. She knew when Vito was broke and could only afford a pear that she should compliment him. She knkew their sudden rise to wealth and power was not exactly on the up and up. When Sonny tells her about Vito being shot in the deleted Saga scene, she very cooly announces she is going to go change her clothes in case she can go to see him. also in the Saga Sonny mentions that she has been through this (Vito being hit) before.

I agree that she laid down the nobusiness at the table rule, as well as the "don't interfere"rule.

Re: Mama Corleone: Was she Clueless or what? [Re: dontomasso] #410903
07/05/07 02:30 PM
07/05/07 02:30 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
She was of another generation and of another culture. Of course she knew. She knew when Vito was broke and could only afford a pear that she should compliment him. She knkew their sudden rise to wealth and power was not exactly on the up and up. When Sonny tells her about Vito being shot in the deleted Saga scene, she very cooly announces she is going to go change her clothes in case she can go to see him. also in the Saga Sonny mentions that she has been through this (Vito being hit) before.

I agree that she laid down the nobusiness at the table rule, as well as the "don't interfere"rule.

Yep she knew what her place was in the family and got used to all the things that happend around the family.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull