GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Malavita), 256 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,000
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,258
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael Corleone after the war #36150
01/01/06 06:35 PM
01/01/06 06:35 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline OP
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline OP
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have a would-be-interesting question.

Generally war veterans have post-war trauma.

How didn´t Michael go crazy after the WW2 and how could Vito trust him to become a Don?

Most of the(And I would dare to say everybody)WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Falkland Island veterans went crazy, maybe more or less than others, but a war is a war.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36151
01/01/06 09:41 PM
01/01/06 09:41 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
Intriguing question. I think it would have been interesting if maybe Mr. Puzo would have written a side-story to the trilogy about Michael's war experience. I don't know, but I think it would have made a better read than The Sicilian.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36152
01/01/06 09:43 PM
01/01/06 09:43 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline
Underboss
Little Chicago
I've got it, sense Mr. Puzo isn't around to write something like that, I think Plaw should have the rights to publish a story like that.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36153
01/01/06 10:46 PM
01/01/06 10:46 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
Yea its really something to think about-did Michael go through mental changes during the war. I think that the war experience made him tougher a little more "cold hearted" and maybe even smarter.

"Finance is a gamble, Politics is just knowing when to pull the trigger."
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36154
01/02/06 12:17 AM
01/02/06 12:17 AM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
I have a would-be-interesting question.

Generally war veterans have post-war trauma.

How didn´t Michael go crazy after the WW2 and how could Vito trust him to become a Don?

Most of the(And I would dare to say everybody)WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Falkland Island veterans went crazy, maybe more or less than others, but a war is a war.
Hey you stole that observation from me lol

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36155
01/02/06 12:40 AM
01/02/06 12:40 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Most of the (And I would dare to say everybody) WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Falkland Island veterans went crazy, maybe more or less than others, but a war is a war.
I hardly think that to be the case.

I personally know several Viet Nam veterans, and while one or two of them definitely did come home a bit changed by the experience, none were changed dramatically.

And most, one of whom I'm still quite friendly with, didn't seem to change at all.

I also know several veterans of WW II.

Although I obviously didn't know them before the war, so I can't judge the changes that they may have undergone, none of them seem "crazy" to me now.

A little old maybe..... wink

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36156
01/02/06 09:58 AM
01/02/06 09:58 AM
Dona Offline
Wiseguy
Dona  Offline
Wiseguy
If every WWII vet went "crazy" there wouldn't have been many sane men left in the country (or the world) afterwards. The percentage of men between 18 and 45 who fought in that war was HUGE.

"Blood protects blood."
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36157
01/02/06 10:50 AM
01/02/06 10:50 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Underboss
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]Most of the (And I would dare to say everybody) WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Falkland Island veterans went crazy, maybe more or less than others, but a war is a war.
I hardly think that to be the case.

I personally know several Viet Nam veterans, and while one or two of them definitely did come home a bit changed by the experience, none were changed dramatically.

And most, one of whom I'm still quite friendly with, didn't seem to change at all.

I also know several veterans of WW II.

Although I obviously didn't know them before the war, so I can't judge the changes that they may have undergone, none of them seem "crazy" to me now.

A little old maybe..... wink [/b]
Yes, that could be, but I guess it would be a different point of view if you had the chance to live with those people in a house. Of course, there are people who are stronger psichologicly than others, but you know, being in constant danger of being killed, bombs exploting around you, bullets above you, etc, I guess nobody is the same person. I still say a war is a war.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36158
01/02/06 02:05 PM
01/02/06 02:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As several have already, I take issue with the assertion that participation inevitably results in trauma that leads to any less than stable mental condition. As a veteran of Vietnam, I consider myself to be quite stable as I do of my battle collegues. Madonne!

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36159
01/02/06 06:12 PM
01/02/06 06:12 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A relative minority of veterans of all the wars you cited actually suffered tangible, life-affecting trauma. We tend to read a lot about this type of trauma today because it gets so much publicity. But it's also a case of the news media playing up negatives to increase circulation. How much "news" value is there in a story whose headline is, "Vietnam Vet Leads Normal Life"?
As for Michael: World War II was considered a "just" war by the vast majority of Americans who fought in it; and nearly all physically fit men either volunteered or were drafted into the military. As we saw at the end of GFII, Michael was gung-ho to join the Marines. But in the Vietnam era, only a small percentage of draft-eligible men were drafted, which tended to make some of them resentful of those who had deferments or otherwise didn't serve. And more than a few American soldiers who fought in Vietnam questioned the justice or rationale for American involvement in that war. As a result, some (but not a majority) suffered from trauma.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36160
01/02/06 07:27 PM
01/02/06 07:27 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Underboss
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally posted by Turnbull:
A relative minority of veterans of all the wars you cited actually suffered tangible, life-affecting trauma. We tend to read a lot about this type of trauma today because it gets so much publicity. But it's also a case of the news media playing up negatives to increase circulation. How much "news" value is there in a story whose headline is, "Vietnam Vet Leads Normal Life"?
As for Michael: World War II was considered a "just" war by the vast majority of Americans who fought in it; and nearly all physically fit men either volunteered or were drafted into the military. As we saw at the end of GFII, Michael was gung-ho to join the Marines. But in the Vietnam era, only a small percentage of draft-eligible men were drafted, which tended to make some of them resentful of those who had deferments or otherwise didn't serve. And more than a few American soldiers who fought in Vietnam questioned the justice or rationale for American involvement in that war. As a result, some (but not a majority) suffered from trauma.
Your mental health could depend on the victory or failure in a war? Are there more veterans with trauma who fought in a war which was lost?And less in a war which was won?

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36161
01/02/06 07:42 PM
01/02/06 07:42 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Don Pappo, you totally miss Turnbull's point.

It does not come down to a matter of winning or losing a war.

When the USA got into WWII, it was for a just reason. Pearl Harbor, it's military and the Amercians had been attacked. The country and it's people were up in arms about being attacked the way that we were. Public support for getting into WWII was extremely high. Americans were gung ho in fighting those who attacked us. I think that it is safe to say that volunteer sign up for the military was probably very very high for WWII. So it was not as though the majority of the young men sho fought in WWII were forced to go to war.

With the Vietnam war, it was a bit different. The USA was not attacked, we were helping to fight a civil war. Many young men were forced to go to Vietnam, against their will.

So I think that it is safe to say that while there are mental problems in soldiers resulting from any war, in the case of Michael, being that it was WWII and he was gung ho in signing up, there was a very minimal mental affect on him from his fighting in that war.

If anything the war may have helped him in carrying out his "mission" of saving the family by taking out Sollozzo and eventually the heads of the other families.

So in the content of the lifestyle that he chose, his experience in WWII was probably a plus for him more than a negative.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36162
01/04/06 04:41 PM
01/04/06 04:41 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
the war most likely had an affect on michael because the whole experience is traumatic. orange

Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36163
01/04/06 05:42 PM
01/04/06 05:42 PM
USA
F
flucko Offline
Button
flucko  Offline
F
Button
USA
I'm sure not every single war veteran was dramatically changed after being in war. I know a WWII war vetran as well and he served for a couple years and he came back and lead a normal life with his family.

Not every single war vetran would be dramatically changed by the event. I think with the experience of being in WWII made Michael a smarter and quicker person and I think Vito respected that.

Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36164
01/04/06 08:41 PM
01/04/06 08:41 PM
Kentucky
Mr.MojoRisin Offline
Capo
Mr.MojoRisin  Offline
Capo
Kentucky
Yeah, I know lots of veterans and almost none of them was changed drastically by it. I'm sure alot of people were, but not everybody.

Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36165
01/05/06 04:10 PM
01/05/06 04:10 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
well yea not everyone is different but my great uncle had to bury bodies in the war - he came back and wasnt the same.

Re: Michael Corleone after the war #36166
01/06/06 10:27 AM
01/06/06 10:27 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Going back to the original question, who says Michael wasn't a bit crazy?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull