GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, Malavita, Ciment, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,753
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,301
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,527
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,410
Posts1,060,392
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Online Resumes #577860
07/21/10 02:48 PM
07/21/10 02:48 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline OP
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline OP
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Do any of you know anything about these free online resume programs? I'm hesitant to type all my personal information on a site like that, so would love to know if any of you have used them. Are they trustworthy?

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Online Resumes [Re: Blibbleblabble] #577862
07/21/10 02:58 PM
07/21/10 02:58 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Are you referring to job posting boards?
Or just to sites/teams that help you create a resume?

It depends on where you are. If you happen to be between jobs you may feel you have nothing to lose. Otherwise, beware. Some of the job posting boards have had issues in which personal information has been stolen/used incorrectly; others have not.

I have used some pay job search/resume creation sites with mixed results.
Generally the best jobs I've found have been through personal networking. That's certainly true of many of the people that I see that were hired in or receive early promotions. They knew someone who knew someone who...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Online Resumes [Re: Lilo] #577864
07/21/10 03:26 PM
07/21/10 03:26 PM
East Bay
Poo-tee-weet?
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Resume creation sites is what I'm looking for. So that I can email the resume to possible employers, or even just print it out and hand it to them. I agree with personal networking, but I'm between jobs right now and I don't like how everything is through the internet these days. Most companies don't even want applicants to come in, just apply online. I know I would get a job if I could get my face seen, but instead I'm just another piece of paper they look through.

Re: Online Resumes [Re: Blibbleblabble] #577865
07/21/10 03:40 PM
07/21/10 03:40 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Ok. There are too many free resume sites to list. I can't offer any experience with those. ohwell

I did have some experience with Monster and Dice. I didn't get any jobs from there but IIRC both sites had free resume critiques and resume building.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Online Resumes [Re: Blibbleblabble] #577867
07/21/10 04:29 PM
07/21/10 04:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Resume creation sites is what I'm looking for. So that I can email the resume to possible employers, or even just print it out and hand it to them. I agree with personal networking, but I'm between jobs right now and I don't like how everything is through the internet these days. Most companies don't even want applicants to come in, just apply online. I know I would get a job if I could get my face seen, but instead I'm just another piece of paper they look through.

You don't need a resume creation site especially if you are worried about divulging so much personal information and especially if they want to charge you for it. i think there are any number of Board members who can help you create a resume such as myself.

If you are just concerned about electronic submission of your resume to a prospective employer, I think that would be okay.

Last edited by olivant; 07/21/10 04:31 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Online Resumes [Re: olivant] #577870
07/21/10 05:07 PM
07/21/10 05:07 PM
East Bay
Poo-tee-weet?
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Help on creating the resume is really what I need. In the past I used Microsoft Word, I think, and just filled in the blanks on the template. I no longer have access to that program or any others with a resume template so that's why I'm curious about the online resume creation sites. Even when I made my resume in the past I never needed it.

I'll check out Monster and Dice but hopefully it isn't an added pay service for the resume builder. I think Careerbuilder.com charges for that service. I'm probably stressing a little too much about it but something about a resume is intimidating to me. crazy

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 07/21/10 05:08 PM.

Re: Online Resumes [Re: Blibbleblabble] #577872
07/21/10 07:44 PM
07/21/10 07:44 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Blib, I recently had to create a resume and cover letter to apply for an internship spot, so I looked up examples online and mainly based mine off of them. Mine will be just as course credit, however, and not a "real" job, but maybe you could find some sites that show sample resumes/cover letters and form yours accordingly. They seem to have a lot of good information...

http://www.bestsampleresume.com/
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/sampleresumes/a/sampleresume2.htm
http://www.aroj.com/
http://www.bestcoverletters.com/

I wouldn't know which sites are more reliable than others, but I just looked at several and compared the tips and ideas they provided. As Olivant said, however, I'm sure someone here could help you out!

-----------

On a similar note, in case it might help anyone here to mention it, I just heard about this site:
http://www.linkedin.com/
As far as I understand, it's an online way of getting and staying connected with other people in the business world - an easy way to "network" and to get in touch with people in your same field. Sounds interesting!

Re: Online Resumes [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #577881
07/22/10 12:41 AM
07/22/10 12:41 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I posted my resume (now well-outdaded) on my regular (also-outdaded) website like 10 years ago, and tho I've updated it a bit (probably not in a couple/few years), I'm STILL getting inquiries from head-hunters and recruiters. Just haven't found a good match yet, prolly cuz I'm so old-school (out-dated) lol wink

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Online Resumes [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #577888
07/22/10 06:51 AM
07/22/10 06:51 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
Blib, I recently had to create a resume and cover letter to apply for an internship spot, so I looked up examples online and mainly based mine off of them. Mine will be just as course credit, however, and not a "real" job, but maybe you could find some sites that show sample resumes/cover letters and form yours accordingly. They seem to have a lot of good information...

http://www.bestsampleresume.com/
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/sampleresumes/a/sampleresume2.htm
http://www.aroj.com/
http://www.bestcoverletters.com/

I wouldn't know which sites are more reliable than others, but I just looked at several and compared the tips and ideas they provided. As Olivant said, however, I'm sure someone here could help you out!

-----------

On a similar note, in case it might help anyone here to mention it, I just heard about this site:
http://www.linkedin.com/
As far as I understand, it's an online way of getting and staying connected with other people in the business world - an easy way to "network" and to get in touch with people in your same field. Sounds interesting!

I use linkedin. It's really useful for staying in touch and getting/giving up to date references. Or alternatively it can be used to keep pace with your rivals/competitors and see what they're up to. whistle

Blib, if you're concerned about privacy why not take Olivant up on his offer?

Winter is Coming

Re: Online Resumes [Re: Lilo] #577936
07/22/10 11:28 PM
07/22/10 11:28 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Or alternatively it can be used to keep pace with your rivals/competitors and see what they're up to. whistle
Strictly to stay informed, of course. Not for any strategic purposes... lol

Re: Online Resumes [Re: ginaitaliangirl] #577940
07/23/10 05:36 AM
07/23/10 05:36 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Or alternatively it can be used to keep pace with your rivals/competitors and see what they're up to. whistle
Strictly to stay informed, of course. Not for any strategic purposes... lol

tongue

Winter is Coming

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull