GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 239 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,541
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,000
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,514
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,361
Posts1,059,258
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What happend if Tom.... #36082
12/29/05 04:46 PM
12/29/05 04:46 PM
Frankfurt
McCluskey Offline OP
Button
McCluskey  Offline OP
Button
Frankfurt
Excusing myself too, if this one has been discussed beford, but it's hard to find out...

What do you think had happend if Tom - after Michael asked him something like "Why don't you take your wife, your children and your mistress, accept that offer, move to vegas and be vicepresident of that hotel" - had ansered "Well, yeah, I'm gonna do it, thanks for all the time we've spent together, maybe we'll see each other again someday"?

Do you think Michael would let it pass? I mean, with all his knowledge about the Corleone business, Tom would have been a real danger for the family, an enemy that must be eliminated! Don't you think so ?

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36083
12/29/05 04:56 PM
12/29/05 04:56 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Good question, and I'm not sure what I think the answer would be.

Knowing Michael, he might've viewed it as a betrayal.

Or, given his longstanding trust for and relationship with Tom, he might've let it pass.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: What happend if Tom.... #36084
12/29/05 05:21 PM
12/29/05 05:21 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by plawrence:
... given his longstanding trust for and relationship with Tom, he might've let it pass.
I agree, although by this time he had been betrayed by both his wife and his brother and in his heart could probably trust nobody, except possibly Connie. After all, his question to Tom was whether he was going to 'go along' with these things he wanted to do. If Tom's answer was no and he were to truly take the wife, mistress & family off to wherever...then his very existence could indeed be considered a threat.

So personally, I believe Michael asked the question and made the proposal knowing that Tom would never leave.

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36085
12/29/05 08:48 PM
12/29/05 08:48 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
To speculate on Michael's course of action with Tom we may have to review his history with other business and personal relationships. Did Michael kill (or have killed) anyone who was NOT in direct conflict with him? McCluskey and Sollozzo - tried to kill his father. Tessio - betrayed the family. Carlo - set up his brother. Barzini, Tattaglia - conspired to kill Vito and him. Cuneo and Stracci - hmmmm? guilty by association with Barzini and Tattaglia?? This one could be a pre-cautionary elimination. Fabrizio - killed his wife; intended to kill him. Fredo - betrayal. Hyman Roth - tried to kill him. Geary's prostitute - to neutralize Geary (not nice). Tom Hagen....maybe a precautionary like Cuneo and Stracci, but ???? He very well could order it. Paranoia was becoming a dominant trait.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: What happend if Tom.... #36086
12/29/05 11:18 PM
12/29/05 11:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael would have regarded it as a betrayal--and Tom would have been in mortal danger, and Tom knew it. The tipoff, IMO, is Tom's reply: He says, "Why do you hurt me, Michael-- I've always been loyal to you" [emphasis added]. Notice that he didn't say, "That was a hell of a hurtful thing to say to your brother. Not so long ago, after the Tahoe shooting, you said you loved and admired me as your brother." Tom acknowledged in his reply, that his relationship with Michael was business--and that loyalty, not brotherhood, was both the danger and the issue.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What happend if Tom.... #36087
12/29/05 11:38 PM
12/29/05 11:38 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
yea tom was a great guy

"Finance is a gamble, Politics is just knowing when to pull the trigger."
Re: What happend if Tom.... #36088
12/30/05 10:20 AM
12/30/05 10:20 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Turnbull:
...The tipoff, IMO, is Tom's reply: He says, "Why do you hurt me, Michael-- I've always been loyal to you" [emphasis added]. Notice that he didn't say, "That was a hell of a hurtful thing to say to your brother. Not so long ago, after the Tahoe shooting, you said you loved and admired me as your brother." Tom acknowledged in his reply, that his relationship with Michael was business--and that loyalty, not brotherhood, was both the danger and the issue.
True, but Tom would have never made that brought up that 'brother' comment anyway. He was already embarrassed that this discussion was taking place right in front of Rocco & Neri. He would never have gotten that personal with Mike with them in the room. But yes, this was strictly a BUSINESS discussion.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36089
12/30/05 02:48 PM
12/30/05 02:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't think Tom would have been in mortal danger. However, he certainly would have been put out of Michael's life.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What happend if Tom.... #36090
12/31/05 11:49 AM
12/31/05 11:49 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by olivant:
I don't think Tom would have been in mortal danger. However, he certainly would have been put out of Michael's life.
Why? What makes you believe that Michael would have given Tom a pass?

Michael ordered the death of his own blood brother Fredo. Surely Michael would have had no problem having an adopted brother taken out.

Michael became a cold hearted, paranoid, egotistical, control freak, power thirsty bastard at that point. IMO He wouldn't have given it a second thought had Tom told him that he would no longer stand at his side.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36091
12/31/05 12:03 PM
12/31/05 12:03 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Upon reflection, I'm gonna go with a modified version of MaryCas' theory here.

Except for the incidental death of Geary's playmate, Michael never eliminated anyone who was not either a proven enemy or a potential danger.

Even if Tom had left the family and gone to work solo in Vegas, I don't think Michael would have taken any overt action against him.

I'd agree with what Olivant said above:

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36092
12/31/05 12:10 PM
12/31/05 12:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:

Except for the incidental death of Geary's playmate, Michael never eliminated anyone who was not either a proven enemy or a potential danger.

Even if Tom had left the family and gone to work solo in Vegas, I don't think Michael would have taken any overt action against him.

With all that Tom knew, and all that Tom planned with Michael, for Michael, and on behalf of Michael, I would consider Tom to be a "potential" danger to Michael. Therfore I feel that Michael would have had Tom eliminated.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36093
12/31/05 12:33 PM
12/31/05 12:33 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
For someone to be a danger to Michael in terms of what they could've told law enforcement authorities, for example, I don't think some one who knows a handful of intimate details about Michael's activities is any les dangerous than someone who know almost everything, as Tom did.

I mean, it wasn't as if Tom was gonna go off and start his own family and become a rival of Michael's.

The only potential danger Tom presented was in what he "knew".

Suppose Tom had been arrested? Would Michael have had him killed then, because he feared that Tom would cooperate with law enforcement?

And take Kay, for example: While she obviously didn't know nearly as much as Tom did, she certainly had to have known plenty that could've helped law enforcement, and Michael didn't have her killed.

The roles of Stracchi and Cuneo in the Five Families War against the Corleones was never made perfectly clear, but assuming that they were on the enemy side as well, who did Michael ever kill because they presented merely a potential danger?

Re: What happend if Tom.... #36094
12/31/05 02:24 PM
12/31/05 02:24 PM
Tennessee
AngelaMarie Offline
Underboss
AngelaMarie  Offline
Underboss
Tennessee
I always thought Michael said those things to keep control of Tom and keep him "in line." It was to remind Tom that if he betrayed Michael, it would be found out and Tom would be in big trouble. just my 2 cents for what its worth! Kind of like when Mike "pretended" to be mad at Pentangelli right after the "hit" on Michaels home. It was to control Pentangelli into getting him to do what Michael wanted.

Anyway, if Tom had said, "yes I'm moving to Vegas" (which he never would have because he was loyal to Michael) then Tom would have been put out for sure.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull