GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 256 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is Vincent doing? #35806
12/22/05 11:53 PM
12/22/05 11:53 PM
Don Chater Offline OP
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline OP
Made Member
Scene 14; "The Return to Sicily"

This is when Michael seeks the advice of long-time friend Don Tomasino in the front yard of a house in Sicily. It is here when Don Tomasino states that only Lucchesi has the power to "reach between these two worlds."

Now, Michael is still the Don by this time, of course. He has yet to give Vincent the order. However, during this scene, it is Vincent who states what is going on and what they are "obligated" to do. Carrying himself in the utmost manner.

I just want to know what his role here is because, to me, it gives off the image that it is more or less him in charge of what's going on, the way he states how things are going and what they should do.

Michael comes off as a translator, more or less.

To be blunt, I thought Vincent's role was to sit down and shut up; to keep eyes open and ears sensitive to what's going on. What changed now?

"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Re: What is Vincent doing? #35807
12/23/05 02:43 AM
12/23/05 02:43 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
In addition to furthering the plot, I always thought it was a critical scene for character development. Rather than an emotional outburst, he makes a statement in a calm, measured, almost subdued tone of voice. I always thought that particular scene showed that Vincent had bought-in to Michael's style of management of acquiring information and making a rational decision, rather than responding with reckless violence.

Vincent, at that moment, is less emotional and more rational. Less like Sonny and and more like Michael.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: What is Vincent doing? #35808
12/23/05 12:13 PM
12/23/05 12:13 PM
Don Chater Offline OP
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline OP
Made Member
Exactly. It seems that throughout the movie, every time we saw Vincent he seems to mature a little more, adopting Michael's famous reasoning tactic and keeping a cool head.

"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Re: What is Vincent doing? #35809
12/23/05 05:33 PM
12/23/05 05:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, I'm glad you guys see this sequence as character development. And I'm not saying you're wrong. But to me, Don Chater's original question underscored the fatal weaknesses of III: huge plot gaps, coupled with feeble dialog. To my mind, Vincent should have been sitting quietly because I didn't discern any credible sequences that indicated he'd risen in the hierarchy by that time.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What is Vincent doing? #35810
12/23/05 09:08 PM
12/23/05 09:08 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Turnbull:
To my mind, Vincent should have been sitting quietly because I didn't discern any credible sequences that indicated he'd risen in the hierarchy by that time.
Well I have to agree with Turnbull about this. One second, Vincent is this wild, hot tempered person, and the next minute, he's calling the shots and running the family. rolleyes

As I've said before, for the most part I think that GFIII has gotten a bad rap over the years due to people trying to compare it with GFI and GFII. What I've always liked about GFIII was how are shown Michael's quest for redemption and forgiveness, from God, Kay and from himself.

However I always felt that FFC could have did a much better job in the development of the Vincent character. Why couldn't we see a transformation take place with Vincent, just like we saw with a young Michael in GFI? We were shown the different stages that Michael went through to become the Don. There was absolutely no reason why FFC couldn't have done the same thing with Vincent's character. Instead of wasting time with the incestual plot, that screen time could have better been served by spending more time with the development and transformation of Vincent. There was so much potential with Vincent's character, and FFC did not take the time nor opportunity to build on the potential of the Vincent character. To me, that was the weakness of GFIII, the uncaring way that FFC had Vincent go from street punk to Don, with nothing in between.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What is Vincent doing? #35811
12/26/05 02:20 PM
12/26/05 02:20 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, keep in mind that it was already a 3+ hour film. FFC probably figured that the audience would assume that Vincent was morphing into the role of a prime component of the Corleone empire after Michael invited him to come along with him for a few weeks. Afterall, he takes him to Atlantic City and does take him to Sicily. So, Michael is saying that Vincent has a large role.

By the way, about that scene in Sicily. Why is Tommassino sitting in his wheelchair facing in the opposite direction behind everyone? And why is everyone there kind of stretched out instead of in a circle of sorts. Camera angles, perhaps?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What is Vincent doing? #35812
12/27/05 11:14 AM
12/27/05 11:14 AM
Don Chater Offline OP
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline OP
Made Member
With the little detail FFC has given us, there is very much we can only assume and that is the problem.

Re: What is Vincent doing? #35813
12/27/05 05:49 PM
12/27/05 05:49 PM
Cuneo Offline
Button
Cuneo  Offline
Button
It seems that Vincent had risen up in the hierarchy beause in the beginning he was just a mafia hood with a short fuse and as the movie goes on he becomes more calm and thinks more. Because of that he earns the respect of Michael. We also see this when he has to give up Mary when he becomes the don-that was also a sign of maturity as well.

"Finance is a gamble, Politics is just knowing when to pull the trigger."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull