GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CNote), 61 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,834
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Swimmer - 1968 #573803
05/15/10 02:09 PM
05/15/10 02:09 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
I just saw this movie again on TCM. Terrific film.
First saw it some 30+ years ago on the 'Late, Late Show', a little, black & white portable and never forgot it. One of those films that was shot in color but has more of an impact in b&w.

Burt Lancaster is marvelous. So carefree and pompous at the beginning, ready to embark on a bold adventure. By the end...crushed, pathetic and defeated by having been forced to face the reality of his life.

Recommended.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Swimmer - 1968 [Re: AppleOnYa] #573811
05/15/10 04:12 PM
05/15/10 04:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa
So carefree and pompous at the beginning, ready to embark on a bold adventure. By the end...crushed, pathetic and defeated by having been forced to face the reality of his life.

Indeed, my wife's plan is working.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Swimmer - 1968 [Re: olivant] #575796
06/19/10 02:47 PM
06/19/10 02:47 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
This has always been one of my favorite films - but certainly, a difficult film to watch and definitely not for everyone.

And, with the rather unexpected and downbeat ending, you feel (or, at least, I did) that you want to watch the whole thing over again to see the clues leading up to the final scene.

As I recall, though, the scene with Janice Rule was shot after the film was completed at the studio's insistance and over Burt Lancaster's objections. (It was shot in California while everything else was shot on the east coast.)

The Swimmer is one of those films which has, over time, become quite a bit more appreciated than it was upon its initial theatrical release.

I can actually remember the first time I saw it: it was on a little black and white television around 1973 or 1974 when I was in college; my roommate was rather indifferent to it while I was riveted and could not turn away (except during the commercials). Several years later, I was able to get an uncut copy on videotape, which I still have.

Excellent and disturbing film.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: The Swimmer - 1968 [Re: Signor Vitelli] #575803
06/19/10 04:47 PM
06/19/10 04:47 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
...As I recall, though, the scene with Janice Rule was shot after the film was completed at the studio's insistance and over Burt Lancaster's objections ...

I've read that too (on imdb). The role of the former mistress was originally played by Barbara Loden. Apparently Loden overpowered Lancaster's character to a significant enough degree that it somehow affected the flow of the film. The scene was later reshot with Janice Rule, who's performance served to restore "...balance to the scene..."

It would be very interesting to one day be able to see that scene with the original actress, however it was almost certainly destroyed or long lost in a vault somewhere.

Apple

Last edited by AppleOnYa; 06/19/10 04:51 PM.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Swimmer - 1968 [Re: AppleOnYa] #576018
06/23/10 12:46 PM
06/23/10 12:46 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Wow, this stirred up some dormant brain cells. I started dating my wife-to-be at the end of 1967. Going to the movies was a big date thing back then. We were freshman in college. We took in every movie of the day; in particular anything considered "artsy". The Swimmer was one of those. I remember it being somewhat dark. I've never seen it since. Burt Lancaster was one of my favorite actors; handsome, athletic, understated. Loved him in The Jim Thorpe Story, Bird Man of Alcatraz, Elmer Gantry, Atlantic City, Field of Dreams, and some circus movie with Tony Curtis.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The Swimmer - 1968 [Re: MaryCas] #576019
06/23/10 01:28 PM
06/23/10 01:28 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Although not one of his more famous roles, I also always enjoy Lancaster as one of the German judges on trial in 'Judgement At Nuremberg'.

The part was to originally have been played by Laurence Olivier, who for some reason backed out. Lancaster stepped in almost out of necessity and from what I've heard was slightly uncomfortable with the part. Still, he makes the most out of it especially with his characters climactic 'Statement' late in the film. (Not to mention that sobering final scene with Spencer Tracy)

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull