GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CleanBandit, furio_from_naples), 80 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,834
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike's Tutelage #571681
04/12/10 05:24 PM
04/12/10 05:24 PM
New York
L
Louren_Lampone Offline OP
Made Member
Louren_Lampone  Offline OP
L
Made Member
New York
How long was Vincent under Michael's tutelage? I think Mike worked with his father for a few years before he passed. Did Mike spend as much time with Vincent as he did with Vito to make sure everything was set when he was to make him the Boss?

"Now, that plane goes to Miami."
"That's right. That's where I want it met."
Re: Mike's Tutelage [Re: Louren_Lampone] #572997
04/29/10 08:55 PM
04/29/10 08:55 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Remember that GF3 takes place entirely in 1979 and 1980. So Vincent becomes boss within two years of the beginning of the movie. And up until he meets Michael at the party, it appears that Vincent hasn't had that much direct contact with him. Moreover, Michael clearly wasn't even conceiving of making Vincent boss at the start of the movie. He seems content to retain Joey Zasa as head of the branch of the Corleone family remaining in New York. In GFI, by contrast, Michael kills Sollozzo in 1945, comes back a few years later, and then is under Vito's tutelage for another few years until Vito dies in 1954. So Michael clearly had a much longer "apprenticeship" than Vincent.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Mike's Tutelage [Re: VitoC] #573000
04/29/10 09:38 PM
04/29/10 09:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Vito needed Michael to succeed him because Sonny had been killed, Fredo was out of it, and he was physically and mentally spent. Michael's apprenticeship began when he returned from Sicily (probably ca. 1947) and by 1954, when he visited Moe Green (car that takes him to the hotel is a '54 Imperial limo), the Don had "semiretired" and Michael was head of the family. But I think he downplayed that transition because, after Vito died in 1955, Michael wanted to appear weak--the new guy in charge--to trap Barzini. It was all carefully arranged.

By contrast, Michael was distainful of Vincent at the beginning of III, then rather cynically (IMO) began to use him as a kind of cat's paw for his foes. Only after his stroke did Michael seriously begin to regard Vincent as his successor. You could say that Michael's illness and Vincent's ascendency paralleled Vito's shooting and Michael's ascendency. But that'd be superficial, IMO. I think Michael's plan was for Vincent to take over the olive oil business and act as his pit bull and deterrent while he became "completely legitimate" through Immobiliare. And Vincent's quid pro quo was to give up Mary, whom Michael probably wanted to marry off to some wealthy, powerful and respectable European who could enhance his standing. He was using Vincent, all the way.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Mike's Tutelage [Re: Turnbull] #573123
05/03/10 12:54 PM
05/03/10 12:54 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
The time frame was MUCH shorter, and in fact that is a huge flaw in III.

The party celebrating Michael's getting into the Order of St. Sebastian or whatever took place in spring or summer of 1978.
The same night as that party, Vincent whacks Zasa's men and Michael tells him to work for him. within a matter of weeks Michael is bribing the church, getting their preliminary vote on the purchase of Immobiliare, and after the helicopter hit is in the hospital. There, Kay tells him that Anthony is already getting good notices (who gets good notices within weeks of announcing he is going to be in the opera?) AND that he will be starring in Caveliere Rusticana in Palermo on EASTER....which would be 8 or nine months away. By then
Michael is already set to hand the whle think over to Vincent who had been his apprentice for less than a year.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Mike's Tutelage [Re: dontomasso] #573124
05/03/10 01:02 PM
05/03/10 01:02 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
The time frame was MUCH shorter, and in fact that is a huge flaw in III. The party celebrating Michael's getting into the Order of St. Sebastian or whatever took place in spring or summer of 1978.

The party was actually in 1979--the caption at the beginning of the movie says "New York City, 1979."

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull