GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 160 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,461
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,563
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. #568606
03/07/10 05:32 PM
03/07/10 05:32 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Not sure if this topic belongs here, but....
For Christmas every year my daughter gets me a desk calendar. For many years it was The Far Side. Then she started changing the theme every year; one year golf, last year was Italian words and phrases. This year is Everything Mafia. Its a tear off calendar and every day has a new word, phrase, historical antecdote, or biography. Recently the origin of the word "Mafia" came up. I think I always took it for granted or never gave it much thought, but here is what the calendar said.

"One of the theories about how the word Mafia entered the language is that it started as an acronym for the rallying cry of the Sicilian resistance forces. Morte alla Francia Italia anelia! is translated as "Death to the French is Italy's cry." There is another opinion that Mafia is a corruption of an Arabic word meaning "refuge". In Sicily's violent history, people regularly ran for the hills to seek refuge from the invader."

Last edited by MaryCas; 03/07/10 05:33 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: MaryCas] #568608
03/07/10 06:42 PM
03/07/10 06:42 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I've heard it before, but that death to the French thing is preposterous. The origins of the Mafia go back much further than the 18th centiry. All legitimate sources point to its word origin as Arabic since the Muslims conquered Sicily in the 9th century.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: olivant] #568821
03/08/10 12:22 PM
03/08/10 12:22 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
There's a good entry in Wikipedia. It could have come from the Arabic, or possibly some Sicilian slang word, according to that source. While the acronym may well apply to the French when they occupied Sicily, it is clear that the term predates
the Norman occupation of the island.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: dontomasso] #569373
03/11/10 12:07 AM
03/11/10 12:07 AM
Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel Offline
יהודי האספסוף בוס
Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel  Offline
יהודי האספסוף בוס
Button
from all the sources that ive read, i believe the arabic theory the most.

Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel] #569391
03/11/10 09:31 AM
03/11/10 09:31 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I like this site. I don't think I've ever come across it before.

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mafia.htm

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: olivant] #569643
03/14/10 11:14 AM
03/14/10 11:14 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Originally Posted By: olivant
I've heard it before, but that death to the French thing is preposterous. The origins of the Mafia go back much further than the 18th centiry.

It does not, the Mafia as a society came to exist in the green area of lemon and orange trees around Palermo, somewhere between 1850 and 1860.
The name itself probably has Arab roots, yes.

John Dickie, Cosa Nostra, 2004.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: MaryCas] #570951
03/31/10 01:24 PM
03/31/10 01:24 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
..... Recently the origin of the word "Mafia" came up. I think I always took it for granted or never gave it much thought, but here is what the calendar said.

"One of the theories about how the word Mafia entered the language is that it started as an acronym for the rallying cry of the Sicilian resistance forces. Morte alla Francia Italia anelia! is translated as "Death to the French is Italy's cry." There is another opinion that Mafia is a corruption of an Arabic word meaning "refuge". In Sicily's violent history, people regularly ran for the hills to seek refuge from the invader."

There is an Urban Legend in Sicily that on the evening of what is called "the night of the sicilian vespers," a Sicilian woman went into one of the churches in Palermo and found her daughter being raped by a French soldier. Legend has it that she then ran out into the streets yelling "Ma fia Ma fia" which translates into "My daughter! My daughter! Some believe that this is where the word "Mafia" might have originated from.

The Night of the Sicilian Vespers actually took place in Sicily sometime around the 13th century. It was a rebellion / uprise against the French troops allowed to occupy Sicily by a King that had taken over control of Sicily, supposedly with the backing of the Pope.

The locals were forced to pay heavy taxes to the King. At the time Palermo was being inhabited by French troops. Legend has it that the French inahbitants, with the backing of the King, made it a tradition to force newly married Sicilian brides to spend the night with them BEFORE being with their new husbands on their wedding night. The French inahbitants of Sicily, backed by the King, were abusing the Sicilian people in many different ways, especially the woman. On one particular night while the sicilian people were attending an evening prayer service of vespers, a group of French officials came by to join in and began to drink. They then began to fondle the breasts of the women and with that the sicilian men decided to finally defend the honor of their woman. A revolt started throughout Palermo, and the sicilian men killed the French inahbitants. Hence the term : Night of The Sicilian Vespers."

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: Enzo Scifo] #570964
03/31/10 02:53 PM
03/31/10 02:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Enzo Scifo
I've heard it before, but that death to the French thing is preposterous. The origins of the Mafia go back much further than the 18th centiry.

It does not, the Mafia as a society came to exist in the green area of lemon and orange trees around Palermo, somewhere between 1850 and 1860.

Dickie is refering to the formal organization. I am refering to the Sicily's reacton to its various occupiers which are legion and go back to antiquity and especially the Normans in the 10th century. Mafia is a way of life as well as an orgnization. It is akin to the Machismo in Hispanic culture which places emphasis on maniliness which is characterised by bearing one's torments without recourse to formal authority for remedy and complete loyalty to one's clan.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The origin of the word "Mafia".....maybe. [Re: olivant] #571689
04/12/10 06:27 PM
04/12/10 06:27 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Originally Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Dickie is refering to the formal organization. I am refering to the Sicily's reacton to its various occupiers which are legion and go back to antiquity and especially the Normans in the 10th century. Mafia is a way of life as well as an orgnization. It is akin to the Machismo in Hispanic culture which places emphasis on maniliness which is characterised by bearing one's torments without recourse to formal authority for remedy and complete loyalty to one's clan.

Mm. In my opinion the mafia is not a way of life. Just an (or two) organization(s) of thieves and murderers, nothing more. That's the core of all of it, I can't see how that could also be a way of life. It's also the reason why it has managed to survive such a long time, cause "you can't wipe out the way of life of those Sicilians".

Anyways, just my 2 cents smile

Last edited by Enzo Scifo; 04/12/10 06:28 PM.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull