GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 341 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,850
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,406
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? #566680
02/05/10 01:35 PM
02/05/10 01:35 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Michael knew Fredo was the traitor in the family in Havana, and during the chaos of the astro takeover it seems it would have been relatively easy to knock him off and come back with a plausable story that "poor Fredo" died when the rebels were rioting. Mama would have grieved, but he was a woman of great religious faith who'd already lost one son, and she would have survived well enough. This would make it impossible to pin on Michael in the future.

Unless of course Michael wanted to keep him around just in case Fredo had information about a certain senate counselthat would be useful if Michael were ever investigated. whistle

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: dontomasso] #566681
02/05/10 01:42 PM
02/05/10 01:42 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Unless of course Michael wanted to keep him around just in case Fredo had information about a certain senate counselthat would be useful if Michael were ever investigated. whistle

That's the most plausible theory, DT. But don't forget, Michael was quite unsure of his own judgement. Just remember how he needed a confession out of Carlo when he was clearly guilty, before he could sentence him to death. If he needed that kind of reassurance before killing a brother-in-law, it stands to reason that he'd need the same confirmation before ordering the death of his actual brother.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: pizzaboy] #566682
02/05/10 01:56 PM
02/05/10 01:56 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Another reason is that Michael is more deliberate than Sonny. He would have wanted to know more. IOW I know you betrayed me but why, who else was involved, how long has this been going on, etc...the same sort of conversation that Tiger and Elin or Jenny and Mark Sandford have been having.. shhh

And since Michael had already lost the logically most rational guy (his bodyguard) to do the job on Fredo, would he have done the job himself?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: Lilo] #566684
02/05/10 02:10 PM
02/05/10 02:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael was frantic to get Fredo in the car with him and on the plane out--probably because he wanted to pump him for info on who else was involved in the plot against him. And, as soon as he's alone with Tom in Vegas after escaping from Cuba, he asks, "Where's my brother?" But when Tom replies that he's probably in NY, Michael doesn't seem frantic. "Tell him I know Roth mislead him..." etc. He could have had Tom arrange to have Fredo snatched off a NY street and brought to him almost immediately, or even have him whacked in the street. Instead Michael waited weeks, or even months, until he got caught in the perjury trap.

I've never understood Michael's sudden loss of urgency in getting Fredo to the compound.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: Turnbull] #566689
02/05/10 02:32 PM
02/05/10 02:32 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Michael was frantic to get Fredo in the car with him and on the plane out--probably because he wanted to pump him for info on who else was involved in the plot against him. And, as soon as he's alone with Tom in Vegas after escaping from Cuba, he asks, "Where's my brother?" But when Tom replies that he's probably in NY, Michael doesn't seem frantic. "Tell him I know Roth mislead him..." etc. He could have had Tom arrange to have Fredo snatched off a NY street and brought to him almost immediately, or even have him whacked in the street. Instead Michael waited weeks, or even months, until he got caught in the perjury trap.

I've never understood Michael's sudden loss of urgency in getting Fredo to the compound.

Poor writing. Oh, wait. Can't be. This isn't GFIII. wink

Athough I think calling Michael "frantic" is an overstatement, I think all the posters above make good points. Here's another view...

I'm in the minority that believes that Michael did not view Fredo as a threat, but killed him strictly out of vengeance and anger. If that's the case, it makes sense that Michael would deal with more pressing issues (and take his mother's reaction into account) before turning his attention back to Fredo.

Like Fabrizio, Fredo's time would come. It didn't really matter when.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: dontomasso] #566733
02/05/10 11:27 PM
02/05/10 11:27 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
... during the chaos of the Castro takeover it seems it would have been relatively easy to knock him off and come back with a plausable story that "poor Fredo" died when the rebels were rioting...

And how, in the middle of all this chaos, would it be 'relatively easy' for Michael to knock off Fredo?

Poison his drink?

Strangle him during that New Year's embrace?

Summon his bodyguard to take care of it after killing Roth? (Not knowing of course, that the bodyguard himself was already dead.)

Shoot him dead in the streets?

Have his driver run Fredo down?

Not only did Michael still need information from his lousy traitor of a brother, but it didn't appear to be his way to simply pop anybody on the spur of the moment without a specific plan in place.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: AppleOnYa] #566773
02/06/10 03:20 PM
02/06/10 03:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Michael wasn't sure of Fredo's betrayal. He only suspected. It wasn't until the Superman show that his worst fears were confirmed. That night, he was still reeling from the idea that his own brother had betrayed him. He certainly had no time to put a hit in place.

Additionally, I don't think that Michael really was going to kill Fredo until he realized the depth of his brother's jealousy when they were in the boathouse. Until that moment, I don't think he had a clue that his brother resented him to that extent. With that tirade, Fredo revealed his true self and sealed his fate.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #567513
02/17/10 12:32 PM
02/17/10 12:32 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
SB... I agree with you. I don't think Michael was sure that he was going to kill him until their meeting in Tahoe. I think that's the whole reason why he didn't kill him in Cuba; then, plus, he is human too. I think he was more hurt and shocked than anything, hence the hug n kiss embrace between the two.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Why Doesn't Michael Kill Fredo In Cuba? [Re: Turnbull] #567518
02/17/10 01:09 PM
02/17/10 01:09 PM
Don_Brasi Offline
Wiseguy
Don_Brasi  Offline
Wiseguy
as upset as he was with fredo he screamed to him "you are still my brother" Micheal would not want his last brother to die at the hands of the cuban rebelion. i think that michael needs to hear the truth come from the people who turned their back's on him so when he makes the sentance of death it does not haunt him.. as angry as he is i think he is weak minded and any amount of stress he crumbles...its like all of vitos traits seprated into each son and they each have the other brothers weekness. when he killed calro his death did not haunt him because he got the truth out of him but the death of his brother haunted him till he died.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull