GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,729
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,281
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,526
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,406
Posts1,060,307
Members10,349
Most Online911
03:56 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pentangeli's tirade and Neri's response. #564414
01/09/10 02:02 AM
01/09/10 02:02 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
In another thread, pizzaboy posted the article about Richard Bright and it got me to thinking about one of the rare moments of dialog Bright has in GF II.

After Pentangeli's tipsy tirade in the boathouse that concludes with one of the great exits in film ("Cicc', a porta!"), Neri asks Michael, "Do you want him to leave now?" to which Michael replies "NO (emphasis added). Let him go back to New York. I've already made my plans."

Did Neri perceive Pentangeli as a threat at that moment? Was Neri counseling Michael about the perceived threat and actually asking for the order to kill Pentangeli by asking Michael if he wanted him to leave? If so, that's some sense of urgency and some quick thinking by Neri to telegraph his thoughts to Michael in the manner that he did, and ask for approval on his action plan while in a room with a group of people who shouldn't be privy to that type of conversation!

(Did you like the way Neri crossed his arms on the bar and put his head down like it was kindergarten nap time?)

And, more importantly, it sounds like Michael understood exactly what Neri was implying when Michael responded with an explicit NO (as if to say, "He doesn't have to 'leave' now (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!)" and reaffirmed his decision by saying it's OK for Pentangeli to go back to New York.

Or it could have been just a couple of throwaway lines to finish the scene so we could get Michael into the bedroom to close the drapes...where the real discussion about this movie begins...

tony b.

How you enter isn't quite so important as how you exit."

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Pentangeli's tirade and Neri's response. [Re: YoTonyB] #564461
01/09/10 07:24 PM
01/09/10 07:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
No, I just think that Neri felt that Frankie's words and demeanor had spoiled the celebration for Michael just as Geary and Deanna had. Nothing more.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Pentangeli's tirade and Neri's response. [Re: olivant] #564587
01/11/10 11:39 AM
01/11/10 11:39 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
It was obvious that Pentangeli was "leaving" when he stormed out of the room. It is not likely he was a house guest, so obviously he was headed to a hotel and probably would go back to New York the next day. From this I think Neri was feeling Michael out to see if he wanted Frankie out of the way, thus Michael's response which was not only to "let" him go back to New York, but also that Frank was an old man who had too much wine...in otherwords, he was not a threat. Which, ironically turned out not to be the case. One of the few times the paranoid Michael did not see someone as a threat.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull