GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 192 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,967
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,044
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Singer Sandro, the "Argentine Elvis", dies at 64 #564149
01/06/10 11:11 PM
01/06/10 11:11 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline OP
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline OP
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Singer Sandro, the 'Argentine Elvis,' Dies at 64

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) -- Argentine singer Sandro, whose gyrating pelvis and romantic ballads brought comparisons to Elvis Presley and made him the first Latin American to sing in Madison Square Garden, died Monday of complications from heart and lung transplant surgery. He was 64.

Sandro, who recorded 52 albums, acted in 16 movies and was awarded a Latin Grammy for career achievement in 2005, suffered from chronic lung disease that led to the Nov. 20 surgery. He died at the Italian Hospital in the Argentine city of Mendoza, said Dr. Claudio Burgos.

Born Roberto Sanchez in 1945 in Buenos Aires, he was the author of hits such as ''Asi'' (''Like That'') and ''Dame Fuego'' (''Give Me Fire''), and his rock and pop tunes won him fame across Latin America. In the 1970s he became the first Latin American singer to play New York's Madison Square Garden.

Last year, in one of his final interviews, the singer blamed his smoking habit for his long illness.

''I am debilitated because I cannot move. My life is my bed, my spot in the dining room where I read the newspaper, and from there I do not move,'' Sandro told Mitre radio of Buenos Aires. ''I am to blame for the condition that I am in. I deserve it; I sought it out. I picked up this damn cigarette.''

As a youth, Roberto Sanchez began playing guitar along with Enrique Irigoytia, another boy from his neighborhood. The two formed several rock bands that sang Spanish versions of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Paul Anka hits.

But it wasn't until he was lead guitarist for the band Los de Fuego that his fame took off.

During one performance, the lead singer lost his voice and another performer broke his guitar strings. Sanchez relinquished his guitar, took over singing duties and threw himself into dancing to the rock rhythm. The crowd went wild.

Sanchez became the group's front man and adopted the moniker Sandro -- a name his mother had wanted to give him at birth, but the Civil Registry refused.

Sandro y Los de Fuego made their TV debut in 1964 on ''Circular Saturdays,'' one of the nation's most popular shows.

Sandro's sensual, irreverent style, gyrating hips and black leather jacket sent young female fans into a frenzy; his ''babes,'' as they were known, would scream wildly, pull their hair and throw their undergarments onstage.

He soon earned the reputation as Argentina's Elvis Presley.

The band recorded two albums before Sandro went solo, turning to a more melodic repertoire and entering the ''romantic'' genre with classics such as ''Quiero Llenarme de Ti'' (''I Want to Fill Myself With You''). In 1969, he made his silver screen debut in a movie with the same title.

A later film, ''La Vida Continua'' (''Life Goes On''), was a hit not only in Argentina but in much of Latin America.

In 1982, Sandro signed with a Puerto Rican TV channel to star in the telenovela ''Fue sin querer'' (''I Didn't Mean to Do It''), which was popular among U.S. Latinos.

By 2001, he was forced to play a series of shows with the assistance of a tube attached to a microphone, to combat the effects of pulmonary emphysema.

Last year he went on a waiting list for a lung and heart transplant, which doctors said was the only way to save him from a disease that had already destroyed his vocal cords and restricted his movements.

He is survived by his wife, Olga Garaventa, whom he married in 2007. He had no children.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/...ndro&st=cse

Has anybody here ever known about Sandro?

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Singer Sandro, the "Argentine Elvis", dies at 64 [Re: Don Pappo Napolitano] #564152
01/06/10 11:25 PM
01/06/10 11:25 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Sorry, I haven't heard of him. It sounds like he was very popular though. He was ill for a while, but was his death still unexpected? confused

Being an Elvis fan, I was curious to compare what he looked like or sounded like. I found this picture of him from the 60's for those who don't know him.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/04/argentina.sandro.obit/index.html?section=cnn_latest

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Singer Sandro, the "Argentine Elvis", dies at [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #564171
01/07/10 12:29 AM
01/07/10 12:29 AM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Sorry, I haven't heard of him. It sounds like he was very popular though. He was ill for a while, but was his death still unexpected? confused

Being an Elvis fan, I was curious to compare what he looked like or sounded like. I found this picture of him from the 60's for those who don't know him.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/04/argentina.sandro.obit/index.html?section=cnn_latest

TIS

kinda looks like him...i wonder if he had an heart attack?

Re: Singer Sandro, the "Argentine Elvis", dies at [Re: BAM_233] #564211
01/07/10 11:54 AM
01/07/10 11:54 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Actually, I remember Sandro quite well; I used to see him fairly regularly (back in the '70s) on Siempre en Domingo, a Spanish-language variety show that was broadcast on Sunday afternoons from Mexico for many years.

I thought Sandro was trying to out-Elvis The King himself with his over-the-top gyrations, but nevertheless I found him entertaining. I am quite sorry to find out about his health problems - I had not heard anything of him in years.

I remember that Sandro was extremely popular with the ladies; but, being a red-blooded male person, thinking of Mexican television from days gone by brings one name to mind:

Olga Breeskin.

But I digress...

Seriously, though, I am saddened to hear of his passing.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Singer Sandro, the "Argentine Elvis", dies at [Re: Signor Vitelli] #568642
03/07/10 10:21 PM
03/07/10 10:21 PM
Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel Offline
יהודי האספסוף בוס
Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel  Offline
יהודי האספסוף בוס
Button
Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
Actually, I remember Sandro quite well; I used to see him fairly regularly (back in the '70s) on Siempre en Domingo, a Spanish-language variety show that was broadcast on Sunday afternoons from Mexico for many years.

I thought Sandro was trying to out-Elvis The King himself with his over-the-top gyrations, but nevertheless I found him entertaining. I am quite sorry to find out about his health problems - I had not heard anything of him in years.

I remember that Sandro was extremely popular with the ladies; but, being a red-blooded male person, thinking of Mexican television from days gone by brings one name to mind:

Olga Breeskin.

But I digress...

Seriously, though, I am saddened to hear of his passing.

Signor V.

i remember "Siempre en Domingo" with Raul Velasco, when i was a kid. he used to have singers and other kinds of personalities on there... in my opinion that guy was a better tv host, than Mario Kreutzberger will ever be...but thats another topic. i remember Luis Miguel used to make alot of appearences on Velasco's show, early in his singin career. also Signor, youre not alone on the Bresskin thing, welcome to the club haha. may Sandro rest in peace.

Last edited by Benjamin_Bugsy_Siegel; 03/08/10 03:43 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull