GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, 2 invisible), 299 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,611
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,101
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,672
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Clemenza at the wedding #6171
01/21/04 04:12 PM
01/21/04 04:12 PM
New York
Stylistic Offline OP
Button
Stylistic  Offline OP
Button
New York
Does anyone else find it amusing to watch Clemenza dance with that old man at the wedding...

The fun and family atmosphere at the wedding is accentuated by the otherwise ruthless gangster swinging around the old man in the circle with a huge grin on his face...To me that scene captures the essence of family at a wedding...it makes you forget who Clemenza really is as he blends in with the joy that people share at a wedding and with their loved ones ...It is refreshing to see him appear so happy while indulging in a traditional Italian dance, to that cheerful Italian musical tune.

"...and then Johnny Fontane comes along with his olive oil voice, and guinea charm..."
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6172
01/22/04 06:06 AM
01/22/04 06:06 AM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline
Capo
North London
I also like the bit in the same scene when Tessio is dancing with the little girl standing on his feet. Used to do the same thing with my dad when I was a kid!

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6173
01/22/04 09:33 AM
01/22/04 09:33 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
The wedding scene in GF is one of my favorites of the trilogy. Try to imagine watching the movie for the first time and not knowing who Clemenza is. He's just lovable Uncle Pete who loves to drink wine, dance and laugh. Later we find out he likes a little gun play with his cannolis. I could watch that opening sequence of GF over and over and over....

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6174
01/22/04 09:40 AM
01/22/04 09:40 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
I quite agree with what you've said Stylistic. Good point. That scene directly and purposefully shows the contrast of Clemenzas two family lives. There he is being the happy family man having fun at the daughter of a freinds wedding. But then you see his Soldier Paulie of his 'other' Family sucking up to him and the sharpness Fat Clem snaps back at him. "Go take a walk around the block" or something to that effect. You don't forget who he is for too long.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6175
01/22/04 11:39 AM
01/22/04 11:39 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The "warm" Clemenza is what makes him a favorite of people on these boards. I can't remember a negative comment about him anywhere.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6176
01/22/04 04:12 PM
01/22/04 04:12 PM
Chicago, IL
Waiting to be Don Offline
Wiseguy
Waiting to be Don  Offline
Wiseguy
Chicago, IL
I love Clemenza, I named my pet betta Pete Clemenza. smile

If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone.
- Michael Corleone
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6177
01/22/04 04:50 PM
01/22/04 04:50 PM
New York
Stylistic Offline OP
Button
Stylistic  Offline OP
Button
New York
Wedding scene is most definitely a masterpiece, as is almost every scene in The Godfather...I still grin everytime I see Clemenza swinging around with that old man...Reminds me of the old men at my family's weddings and its almost as if everybody has a Clemenza in their family...That part alone shows how great that wedding scene was done, and how it captured a universal essence of celebration that everyone can relate to...

"...and then Johnny Fontane comes along with his olive oil voice, and guinea charm..."
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6178
01/23/04 12:41 PM
01/23/04 12:41 PM
Metro Detroit
Alonzo the Armless Offline
Made Member
Alonzo the Armless  Offline
Made Member
Metro Detroit
I agree with loving that wedding scene in how it deceives you with Clemenza and Tessio. They both come across as loveable uncle-types, instead of the ruthless killers they'll later reveal themselves to be. Still Barzini comes across as cold and heartless in his scene when he demands his photo be ripped from the camera. Look at the look of hate and disgust when he throws the crumbled negative to the ground.

The first time we see Michael, he comes across as somewhat meek and gentle. Fredo is an obnoxious drunk (coincidentally his wife also appears drunk and obnoxious in the beginning of the sequel Part II).

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6179
01/23/04 01:48 PM
01/23/04 01:48 PM
cannoli Offline
Made Member
cannoli  Offline
Made Member
TO me, one of the nicest scenes in GFI was when Clemenza told Michael, "we was all proud of you" for enlisting into the Marines. There was genuine affection there. Also -- if you read the book before you saw the movie -- you knew that the family was not at ALL happy that Michael enlisted into the Marines.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6180
01/23/04 02:22 PM
01/23/04 02:22 PM
Metro Detroit
Made Member
Made Member
Metro Detroit
Also -- if you read the book before you saw the movie -- you knew that the family was not at ALL happy that Michael enlisted into the Marines.
You also find out if you watch the last scenes of GODFATHER, PART II. Only Fredo congratulated Michael for enlisting. The other 2 brothers were appalled and angry.

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6181
01/23/04 05:04 PM
01/23/04 05:04 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Just a feeling, but I always thought in the scene where Michael says he enlisted, that Tom wasn't as upset, or perhaps maybe more understanding than Sonny and maybe Vito, but refrained somewhat from expression so as to keep on Michael's side, so to speak. ohwell

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6182
01/23/04 05:25 PM
01/23/04 05:25 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
TIS:

Though clearly not as emotional as Sonny Tom clearly taken aback and a little upset by Michael's announcement of enlistment. His first words to Mike, after having the news sink in was to remind him of the strings Pop had to pull to get him a deferrement.

As the level headed brother, it made sent attempted to reason with Michael as to the 'plans' that he & Vito had made for his future, which of course only made things worse.

I don't think Tom was on Michael's side at all. He just didn't think with his fists (and other parts) like Santino did.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6183
01/23/04 05:52 PM
01/23/04 05:52 PM
Metro Detroit
Made Member
Made Member
Metro Detroit
Yeah, Tom is not as demonstrative or explosive as Sonny, but I still think he was angry at Michael at the table. He made a big deal on how he had been talking to Vito about Michael's plans.

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6184
01/23/04 06:39 PM
01/23/04 06:39 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by Alonzo the Armless:
Yeah, Tom is not as demonstrative or explosive as Sonny, but I still think he was angry at Michael at the table. He made a big deal on how he had been talking to Vito about Michael's plans.
At the time of Michael's enlistment, Tom was still Consigliere Genco's apprentice. Don Vito had trusted him to make Mike's arraingments, probably because of their similar ages and familiarity with each other. When Mike said "No" to Vito and went into the Marines, Tom must have swallowed a brick. Here was a big assignment and Mike screwed it up. Now, who do you think Tom thought Vito would blame, even though it was totally outside Tom's control? orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6185
01/23/04 06:41 PM
01/23/04 06:41 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
BTW, back on topic, I love how each member of the Family is seen as a great person during the wedding scene, with the exception of the flesh hungry Sonny. After seeing Clemenza whoop it up and watching Tessio dance with one of the twins (I believe), we later see them as cold blooded killers. Sweet! orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6186
01/23/04 06:58 PM
01/23/04 06:58 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
wow Don Vanchenzo I never thought of the reason why Tom Hagen would be so angry at Mike, not out of the concer for mike's safety, but for his personal gain. I applaud you and you have my deepest respect, as I would never have thought of that.

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6187
01/24/04 12:14 PM
01/24/04 12:14 PM
columbus
Darky17 Offline
Associate
Darky17  Offline
Associate
columbus
You know I watched the deleted scens for GF1..and I always wondered when Clemenza went and got Cannolis...then I saw it..when he went out to lunch..this really was a revalation for me! blush

Re: Clemenza at the wedding #6188
01/24/04 05:36 PM
01/24/04 05:36 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by Don Lights:
wow Don Vanchenzo I never thought of the reason why Tom Hagen would be so angry at Mike, not out of the concer for mike's safety, but for his personal gain. I applaud you and you have my deepest respect, as I would never have thought of that.
Grazie orange

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull