GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (JGil916, BarrettM, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,516
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,963
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,348
Posts1,059,038
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale #561055
11/24/09 07:16 AM
11/24/09 07:16 AM
JJ_Gittes Offline OP
Wiseguy
JJ_Gittes  Offline OP
Wiseguy
I discovered the existence of this little HBO doco about John Cazale early last week looking at IMDB.

Then, in a bizarre, but lucky, coincidence, on Thursday night we were flipping through the channels & caught the credits of something that looked interesting (it was Steve Buscemi referring to his cameo in The Simpsons), my missus checked the TV guide - "Rediscovering John... Cazail...?". Fortunately it was repeated on Sunday afternoon. (ABC TV in Australia)

It's a very short, simple doco (45min), with interviews from his peers - Al Pacino, Meryl Streep (his long-time partner), Robert De Niro, Francis Ford Coppola, Sidney Lumet & so on. Doesn't descend into too much sentimentality, despite it being something of a sad story (Cazale died aged 42 from lung cancer, before the Deer Hunter was released). Focuses on his talent as an actor, & the subtlety with which he made all his characters very real. It made me realise how much depth he gave to the less-than-glamorous role of Fredo - as actor Sam Rockwell points out in the documentary, any actor would want to play Vito, Sonny or Michael.

He only ever appeared in three other films apart from the GF & GF Part II - The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon & The Deer Hunter. Most actors would count themselves lucky to have one of those five films on their CV, let alone all of them. As a film actor, he's basically got a 100% record. 5 classics, no turkeys.

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

Incidentally, the title of the doco (I Knew It Was You) went over my head when I first read about it on IMDB, it was then clarified in the documentary as Michael's line to Fredo on New Year's Eve in Cuba - but I always thought he said, "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart."

Figure this is the best place anywhere to ask - 'knew' or 'know'?

Re: I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale [Re: JJ_Gittes] #561057
11/24/09 08:02 AM
11/24/09 08:02 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
It was "I KNOW" ..... (click on link below):

I know it was you, Fredo - CLICK HERE

I'd suggest that they used, "Knew" in the title because the documentary was a look back on Cazale's work, and since he is dead, it's in the past.

Thanks for the heads-up about the documentary.

Re: I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale [Re: SC] #561066
11/24/09 11:34 AM
11/24/09 11:34 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
If you can believe Wikipedia, it says HBO picked up this documentary. I am going to check HBO on demand when I get home.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull