GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Friend_of_Henry, Lou_Para), 86 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,764
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MLB Awards #560805
11/20/09 12:24 AM
11/20/09 12:24 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline OP
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline OP
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Any thoughts on any of the awards given out already?

Obviously as a Giants fan I'm ecstatic Lincecum won his second Cy Young Award, back to back. But I'm curious what other people think? Should he have won? I truly believe any of the top three guys, Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainright, deserved to win and I would have had no problem with any of them receiving the award.

I also find it interesting that the voting seems to have changed the last two years. With Zack Greinke winning the AL award with a record of 16-8 and Lincecum winning with a record of 15-7 it tells me that voters are finally looking at more than just the win total. I'm very happy about that! I've always been bothered by guys with 19-20+ wins automatically winning regardless of the team they play for and their other more important stats.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: MLB Awards [Re: Blibbleblabble] #560820
11/20/09 11:32 AM
11/20/09 11:32 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Any thoughts on any of the awards given out already?

Obviously as a Giants fan I'm ecstatic Lincecum won his second Cy Young Award, back to back. But I'm curious what other people think? Should he have won? I truly believe any of the top three guys, Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainright, deserved to win and I would have had no problem with any of them receiving the award.

I agree with you, Blibble, that there is no wrong choice among the three. While Lincecum had fewer wins than Carpenter and Wainright, he pitched more innings and recorded far more strikeouts. He was the most dominating pitcher of the year, and I truly believe he is the best pitcher in baseball. If he had some offensive support, he'd have won 20.

What was funny about the voting is that Wainright got more first place votes than the other two, but finished third in overall voting. This tells me that quite a few voters looked heavily at win total. Those that looked at other criteriaput him third or lower. Because of today's specialization of pitchers, which discourages complete games and calls 6 innings a quality start, starters get fewer decisions than their counterparts of 25-30 years ago, and therefore win and loss totals are down.

Greinke also earned the AL award. He was clearly the best pitcher in the AL.

I was disappointed that Happ didn't win rookie of the year in the NL. He joined the starting rotation for the Phillies a month after the season started and throughout most of the summer was their most consistent starting pitcher, but the hitter from Florida had an incredible second half, and was as deserving.

I agreed with Tracy as manager of the year. Early in the year I said he was the most underrated manager in the game. He managed our local AA team in the early 90s to the best record of any team AA through majors. I thought Gardenhire should have won the award in the AL.

As far as MVP, Pujols and Mauer deserve the awards. Nobody else is close.