GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Irishman12, m2w, 1 invisible), 289 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,332
Posts1,058,798
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... #560621
11/18/09 03:18 AM
11/18/09 03:18 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
K.C. Johnson is a sportswriter for the Chicago Tribune and currently covers the Chicago Bulls, and their rising star, Derrick Rose. Rose is something of a hometown hero, where he led his high school, Simeon from the Chicago Public League, to a state championship. After a year at Memphis, the Bulls made him the number one pick in the NBA draft. Coincidentally, he wears #1 on his jersey for the Bulls. In high school, he wore #25, a number his high school will assign only as a tribute to their best players.

25 years ago this week, K.C. Johnson was a high school senior in Evanston, Illinois. He played basketball at Evanston and his team was practicing for a tournament in Rockford where they would tip-off the season against defending state champs Simeon high school. That game would be a rematch of the state finals played earlier in the year in which Simeon had ended Evanston's quest for a perfect season and a state championship. Simeon entered the new season as the state's top ranked basketball program, with the top player in the country, Ben Wilson, who wore jersey #25.

I was in the grocery store last Sunday morning and picked-up a Chicago Tribune looking for the sports section. When I peeled back the first couple of sections and got to the sports, my heart skipped a beat. I saw the picture above the fold and I knew that face and that smile immediately. It was a picture of young Ben Wilson and a story by K.C. Johnson.

You can read his story here.

It was a Tuesday afternoon, November 20, 1984 and I was back at my apartment after my college classes when I heard a news report on the radio about a shooting near a Chicago high school. The facts and confirmations began to roll in, backing up the "reports" that the victim was high school basketball star Ben Wilson. He lingered for 18 hours after the shooting before passing early the next morning.

I never met Ben Wilson. I saw him play ball. More than once. Beginning his freshman year and for the two years after that. If you asked for the five best high school basketball players I ever saw in the state of Illinois, he'd be at or near the top of the list. That's pretty good company considering Quinn Buckner, Doug Collins, Mark Aguire, Eddie Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, Tim Hardaway, and Ben's teammate at Simeon, Nick Anderson are all pretty good candidates for that list. And that only takes you through the 1970's and part of the '80's. He was unreal. 6-8 and slender, but he could dribble the ball and play facing the basket. He had a smooth, sound shooting stroke and could play outside. He had a nose for the ball and wasn't afraid to play the low post. He hustled from one end of the floor to the other. And that's what I remember from his JUNIOR year. He never got his senior year.

It's not his unrealized potential as a basketball player that troubles me. Well, it did when I was younger and more selfish. Damn, I wanted to see him play in college. It's been 25 years since his death and his basketball days would be well behind him by now. He deserved to have his life unfold like everyone else...as does anyone who fell victim to a shooting, especially at that age.

Comcast Sportsnet Chicago produced a special program about Ben Wilson which they'll air this Friday night.

This is one of those "innocence lost" moments in my life. I love high school and college basketball. The promise of a new season. The excitement of a tournament at the end of the year. And every year at this time, when the colleges get underway and high schools announce the pairings for their Thanksgiving tournaments, I remember hearing the news about Ben Wilson.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... [Re: YoTonyB] #560633
11/18/09 11:10 AM
11/18/09 11:10 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
That is a tragic story, Tony. It's painful enough for his family and friends just to lose him, but it's more frustrating to keep thinking "what if?"

Re: Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... [Re: klydon1] #671354
10/22/12 04:15 AM
10/22/12 04:15 AM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline OP
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
I'm resurrecting a nearly three year-old thread because I just saw ESPN's 30-for-30 series includes a documentary titled "Benji," a story about the life and death of Simeon High School basketball star Ben Wilson.

If you've seen "Benji" please post and let me know what you thought of it. I think the documentary has aired already once or twice. It's next scheduled to air on Tuesday night, October 23rd. I am in the process of moving, living temporarily in an apartment without cable TV, and I won't see this until I can invite myself to a friend or family member's home where they can DVR it for me!

Coincidentally, the top-rated high school basketball player in the country from this year's senior class is Jabari Parker. From Simeon High School...

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... [Re: YoTonyB] #673910
11/04/12 10:12 AM
11/04/12 10:12 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Tony, I have seen this and it is terrific. As many know here, I am a big Chicago sports fan and just graduated high school when Ben was killed. EVERYBODY who was even remotely interested in prep sports (especially hoops) in the state of Illinois was very familiar with this super-talented young man. A truly heart breaking and tragic story. IMO - it seemed to almost foreshadow an eventual bad ending financially if Ben was never shot. Let me explain... the documentary was filled with friends, team mates and family that were just waiting for Ben to sign the big contract and ride on his coat tails. I think Ben's good nature and willing to give may have eventually left him in financial ruin. I sure wish he had a chance to prove me wrong.

Re: Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... [Re: Mark] #673957
11/04/12 02:03 PM
11/04/12 02:03 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mark
Tony, I have seen this and it is terrific. As many know here, I am a big Chicago sports fan and just graduated high school when Ben was killed. EVERYBODY who was even remotely interested in prep sports (especially hoops) in the state of Illinois was very familiar with this super-talented young man. A truly heart breaking and tragic story. IMO - it seemed to almost foreshadow an eventual bad ending financially if Ben was never shot. Let me explain... the documentary was filled with friends, team mates and family that were just waiting for Ben to sign the big contract and ride on his coat tails. I think Ben's good nature and willing to give may have eventually left him in financial ruin. I sure wish he had a chance to prove me wrong.

I remember hearing that rose wore ben's uniform number in dedication. I still haven't seen the documentary, but does derick rose remind you of ben wilson? Probably not playing wise, but personality.

Re: Ben Wilson, 25 years ago... [Re: BAM_233] #674552
11/06/12 09:27 PM
11/06/12 09:27 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Originally Posted By: Mark

I remember hearing that rose wore ben's uniform number in dedication. I still haven't seen the documentary, but does derick rose remind you of ben wilson? Probably not playing wise, but personality.

I think that many lessons were learned in the neighborhoods that surround Simeon. They say that a lot of people looked out for Derrick Rose and kept him away from many of the influences and elements that led to Benji's demise. Rose has a great relationship with his mother and a very close knit group of people who support him and look out for his best interest.