GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Big_Tuna93), 354 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,674
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gambino, Castellano, and Dellacroce #560507
11/17/09 10:27 AM
11/17/09 10:27 AM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline OP
Capo
VitoC  Offline OP
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Why did Carlo Gambino pick Paul Castellano to be his successor? From what I have read, the choice of Castellano did nothing but fracture the Gambino family, leading to the eventual coup d'etat of John Gotti. The rank and file deeply resented Castellano because he was viewed as having become boss solely because he was a relative of Gambino. He was a white collar criminal without experience on the streets. Furthermore, Castellano added insult to injury by refusing to mix with his men and building an opulent "White House." The favored choice to succeed Gambino was underboss Neil Dellacroce, John Gotti's mentor, who was known as a "hoodlum's hoodlum." According to Jerry Capeci, in the years after Gambino's death the family basically split into two branches--the "Paul branch" and the "Neil branch." So why did Gambino do it? For someone who was (and is) considered an excellent godfather, this seems like a glaringly bad decision.

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!
Re: Gambino, Castellano, and Dellacroce [Re: VitoC] #560510
11/17/09 10:41 AM
11/17/09 10:41 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Castellano was both Gambino's cousin and in-law. That probably is the primary explanation.

Perhaps Gambino justified it to himself by reasoning that the future of the Family would have been better secured by the relatively white-collar/smooth Castellano instead of the frightening and rough around the edges Dellacroce.

There's a lot of examples in corporations where the number 2 guy feels entitled to the top spot because of his deep loyalty and long experience but precisely because he is so wedded to the old way of doing things, doesn't get the nod.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Gambino, Castellano, and Dellacroce [Re: Lilo] #560536
11/17/09 12:51 PM
11/17/09 12:51 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
In addition, Dellacroce was in prison for tax evasion at the time of Gambino's death. That made his criminal profile higher than Castellano's--Big Paul had served a short term for armed robbery as a youngster and, except for getting busted at the Apalachin meeting in '57, had no further brushes with the law. At the time of his succession, he was a more or less legitimate businessman (wholesale meat and poultry) and was in charge of the family's "white collar" rackets. So, I'm assuming, Gambino thought Castellano would attract less law enforcement attention as Don than would Dellacroce.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Gambino, Castellano, and Dellacroce [Re: Lilo] #560567
11/17/09 05:56 PM
11/17/09 05:56 PM
CA
D
DiMaggio68 Offline
Capo
DiMaggio68  Offline
D
Capo
CA
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Castellano was both Gambino's cousin and in-law. That probably is the primary explanation.

I agree Lilo. Gambino and Castellano were also Sicilian. Dellacroce and Gotti were both Napolitano.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull