GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (TheKillingJoke, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,892
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,675
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #617803
10/17/11 12:43 PM
10/17/11 12:43 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
l probably pay off. He REALLY is a smart guy.
Originally Posted By: SC
Great show last night!! It answered that Chalky really was illiterate (gotta feel for the guy; even his own family kind of makes fun of him for that, yet they're the ones who fail to remember from whence he came).

The Commodore got the shit beat out of him (by Gillian). We find out that he physically raped her and she was evidently down for some payback despite her earlier statement that she had forgiven him.

Nucky is taking a BIG gamble on allowing federal charges brought against him (so he can now reach for his connections in the White House to help him). A ballsy move, but it wil

Two things that disturbed me.... 1) Richard (Jimmy's disfigured "partner") posing for Jimmy's wife. That kind of emotional opening can only lead to trouble. 2) Margaret holding back some cash (from her staff). That's going to lead to trouble, too.

Yea that commodore scene was a surprise to me. I can only imagine how she felt all those years. I actually was glad she got payback opportunity but like you say, it appeared she had forgiven so scene was a surprise.

I kind of feel the same about the Richard posing for Jimmy's wife as she sketched him. Honestly, I wasn't sure where it was going. For some reason, kind of creepy. confused

I had a phone call and missed the scene about Margaret hiding cash. confused

Also, the scene with Nucky with all the prostitutes? That was part of a "fixed election" plan no?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #617804
10/17/11 12:52 PM
10/17/11 12:52 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Also, the scene with Nucky with all the prostitutes? That was part of a "fixed election" plan no?

It wasn't planned that way, but the hookers admitted they were invited to Atlantic City to sleep with voters to change the voters' minds about candidates. That admission (that they crossed state lines - from Pennsylvania to New Jersey - for immoral purposes meant they were breaking a federal law (The Mann Act). Nucky's lawyer knew that if Nucky was charged with a federal crime then Nucky could ask his friend in the White House for help, and that help would probably get the charges dropped.

Nucky is quite smart, but also quite lucky. It was Nucky's luck that the Commodore had a stroke (and without the Commodore being active, the others against Nucky stood no chance of beating him).

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617806
10/17/11 01:20 PM
10/17/11 01:20 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Good episode indeed.

The actor who plays Luciano really IS Luciano. The same goes for Meyer Lansky and Rothstein. Terrific casting. Buscemi doesn't look the part, but he is convincing enough.

But because the casting is very good in general, I'm starting to get somewhat indifferent about the actor who plays Al Capone. He really is too short. In the first episode he was talking to a guy who looked more like Al Capone than him. I don't get why they cast an English actor to play Capone in the first place? confused It must have been a friendly favor or something.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #617807
10/17/11 02:18 PM
10/17/11 02:18 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I've noticed that most of the comments from the guys/gals who frequent the "Real Life" forums here concentrate on the characters of Luciano, Lansky and Capone. Do yourself a favor and watch the show with those guys as "supporting roles" and not the main characters. You'll see the show in a different light and you might enjoy it more instead of complaining that it's really about the Mob.

In keeping with the real guys, though, I find it amusing/interesting to see Lansky when he 18 or 19 years old. Luciano wasn't much older. Keep this is mind when you question why they acted so "carefully" with the Mustache Petes then. I think they've portrayed Capone remarkably well.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #617925
10/18/11 08:03 PM
10/18/11 08:03 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Good advice.

Was anyone else waiting to see how long Jimmy's mother could restrain herself from taking her emotions out on the Commodore? It will be interseting to see what she does to follow up.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #617928
10/18/11 08:40 PM
10/18/11 08:40 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
Was anyone else waiting to see how long Jimmy's mother could restrain herself from taking her emotions out on the Commodore? It will be interseting to see what she does to follow up.

Gillian surprised me (with slapping the crap out of the Commodore). She said earlier that she had forgiven him. I guess she didn't.

She's a little whacko; I would not be surprised to see her continue beating the Commodore.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617952
10/19/11 02:01 AM
10/19/11 02:01 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
As Richard posing for Angie, it was long coming. It's obvious she doesn't love Jimmy. She is partly afraid of him, partly have no courage to run away. His mother makes it even yuckier. It was comparatively a comfortable cop out for her to marry him. He treats her artistic nature no more than a maid at best, sad, sad, sad...

Richard on the other hand craves for human contact so much, he gets it wherever he can. Better yet, from what he envies the most, the Jimmy's (on the surface) picturesque family. If he goes further to betray Jimmy, I doubt it for now.

Gillian of course cannot forgive the Commodore. She just wanted her son to go up the power ladder with the Commodore's help. That's why she told him she has forgiven his father, while no one obviously can forgive being screwed up that bad.

Women on this show try to do the best with the little power of charm they have over the men, having no real authority themselves. That's one of the best angels of this show for me.

On another note, Capone on this Show IS FABULOUS. I actually enjoy his portrayal the most.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: afsaneh77] #617955
10/19/11 03:00 AM
10/19/11 03:00 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
afs, it looks like we're pretty much on the same page as each other regarding the show. Dump Geoff and I'll marry you.

I didn't think it possible, but I'm as hooked on this show as I was on "The Sopranos".

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617958
10/19/11 03:31 AM
10/19/11 03:31 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
No problem SC, sure! blush Geoff dumped me long time ago. lol You'll find out what he did soon enough. grin

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617972
10/19/11 11:52 AM
10/19/11 11:52 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
What was the deal with Chalky and his surly attitude at dinner?

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #617976
10/19/11 01:03 PM
10/19/11 01:03 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

A lot of pent up anger coming out. I think it is mostly frustration at not being able to avenge his four workers' death at the booze warehouse. He's losing face in the community and he was told (by Nucky) to "be patient".

Also, it doesn't help that his own family seems to make fun of his lack of education. Chalky has NOT forgotten from whence he came but his family apparently have (forgotten).

It's (IMO) one of the better story lines.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #617977
10/19/11 01:06 PM
10/19/11 01:06 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Was that the first time Chalky's family was shown? I was surprised at how "proper" they were. I was waiting for one of them to ask Chalky “would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?”

And as far as Gillian and the Commodore go, i say good for her. I hope she keeps beating that old fool. Maybe next week she'll nail the Commodore with a nice big strap-on and let him feel whats it's like to get screwed. Now that would be something!lol!

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: LeroyJones] #617978
10/19/11 01:34 PM
10/19/11 01:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: LeroyJones
Was that the first time Chalky's family was shown? I was surprised at how "proper" they were.

Right? I wanted to smack the proper out of his wife. I've already stated that Chalky is one of my favorite characters, but definitely not so his family.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #618026
10/19/11 07:04 PM
10/19/11 07:04 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

A lot of pent up anger coming out. I think it is mostly frustration at not being able to avenge his four workers' death at the booze warehouse. He's losing face in the community and he was told (by Nucky) to "be patient".

Also, it doesn't help that his own family seems to make fun of his lack of education. Chalky has NOT forgotten from whence he came but his family apparently have (forgotten).

It's (IMO) one of the better story lines.

You have put it perfectly SC!!!

Chalky's had a near death experience, may face charges for the killing of a white man, is spoken to dismissively by Nucky (be a patient boy), and is under threat of losing his business and political power in the black community. He THEN comes home to find his wife has invited over a suitor for his daughter without checking with him first and has refused to make the one dish he asked for because it's too "country".

Under the circumstances that might make the most patient husband speak a sharp word or two.whistle
It's like "I may have to eat s*** outside this house but in this house I'm the boss!!"

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618348
10/24/11 01:51 PM
10/24/11 01:51 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Last episode was truly great. Maybe the best so far, of both seasons. The clash of the two brothers was epic. And the scene of Richard in the woods was also very good. If only they would be able to make episodes like this regular this show might easily go on for many seasons.

And SC, I think you've given some good advice.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618352
10/24/11 02:27 PM
10/24/11 02:27 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
There is an article on the DailyBeast.com site calling Jack Huston (the actor who plays Richard) "Boardwalk Empire's Scene-Stealer". I didn't know Angelica Huston is his aunt and John Huston was his grandfather.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...k-and-more.html

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618354
10/24/11 02:40 PM
10/24/11 02:40 PM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Also i read the actor Michael Pitt (Jimmy) is a real pain in the ass onset. He just signed with a new agency to rep him but his old agency said they fired him and said "he’s really difficult on set and otherwise". It could be they are just pissed he left but i remember reading a few months back that the guy is hard to work with.

http://www.deadline.com/?s=Michael+Pitt

Anyone see the movie "Funny Games" that Pitt was in back in 2007? Naomi Watts and Tim Roth were also in it. It was about "Two psychopathic young men take a family hostage in their cabin."

Anyway i thought he was pretty good in it and also in the movie Bully".

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/24/11 11:35 PM.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618377
10/24/11 09:23 PM
10/24/11 09:23 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I saw Funny Games. I forgot Pitt was in it but wondered why he looked familiar.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618649
10/27/11 05:27 PM
10/27/11 05:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the last episode, what was Richard doing when the guy in the woods walked up on him?

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #618652
10/27/11 05:31 PM
10/27/11 05:31 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
In the last episode, what was Richard doing when the guy in the woods walked up on him?

He was looking for Adriana La Cerva.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #618659
10/27/11 07:00 PM
10/27/11 07:00 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

He was looking for Adriana La Cerva.

Indeed he was. whistle And he would have found her had the dog not interrupted.

Seriously though Olivant, Richard was on the verge of killing himself. Either it was a happy accident that the dog stole his mask or the other people in the woods ordered the dog to fetch it.

I think it was subtly understood that everyone knew they had just interrupted a suicide attempt, which is why they told Richard , "These woods are for living".

And later on Richard asked Jimmy "Would you fight for me?". The character is desperately lonely and depressed.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #618660
10/27/11 07:25 PM
10/27/11 07:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Thanks.

Of course, Richard will find Ade when he goes into protective custody.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #618920
10/30/11 09:50 PM
10/30/11 09:50 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Poor Lucy, delivering her baby alone. panic How horrible. And who was the kid that closed the curtains and turned her away when she asked him to get his mother?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618943
10/31/11 05:55 AM
10/31/11 05:55 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Van Alden saying "I did it for you" has to be the best line of the night.
WHY in the world would Van Alden let ANYONE know where he was keeping Lucy? I guess he's really not a player... whistle
I finally recognized Dominic Chianese.
There's so much attention placed on Dharmody's strange relationship with his mom (kissing on the lips, clingy). Something big is going to happen there.
The Margaret Schroeder character is becoming very unlikable.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618957
10/31/11 10:42 AM
10/31/11 10:42 AM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
“Nucky, Rothstein…their time has passed.”

Sounds like Rothstein will soon be history. shhh

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #618960
10/31/11 11:09 AM
10/31/11 11:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Lilo, I agree with you about Margaret. She's becoming unsteady. She used to manifest so much confidence. She and the Irish guy - I think something's developing there.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: LeroyJones] #618963
10/31/11 11:21 AM
10/31/11 11:21 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo

The Margaret Schroeder character is becoming very unlikable.

I'm starting to like her more each episode. smile

Ironically, their time had only just began. When prohibition began Rothstein was at his height. I suspect Meyer only said it to please Darmondy and his ally.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #618967
10/31/11 11:33 AM
10/31/11 11:33 AM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Ironically, their time had only just began. When prohibition began Rothstein was at his height. I suspect Meyer only said it to please Darmondy and his ally.

Yes, but we know Rothstein will soon be dead and it looks like the show's director is going to make it look like he was "pushed" aside by the young turks. Nucky we know will be around hopefully for a few more seasons.

Rothstein really died in 1928 so we'll have to see if the show bumps that down to fit the show, or maybe he does live.

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/31/11 11:46 AM.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: LeroyJones] #618968
10/31/11 11:47 AM
10/31/11 11:47 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Yes, but we know Rothstein will soon be dead ...

They're only up to the early part of 1921, so far. Rothstein died in late 1928.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #618969
10/31/11 11:50 AM
10/31/11 11:50 AM
LeroyJones Offline
Made Member
LeroyJones  Offline
Made Member
Yes, but we know Rothstein will soon be dead ...

They're only up to the early part of 1921, so far. Rothstein died in late 1928.

Yes your correct, i guess he's good for the season. clap

We'll have to see if they stick to the true timeline. Torrio is still around too, when did he step aside 1925?

Last edited by LeroyJones; 10/31/11 11:51 AM.
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull