GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Frankie_Five_Angels, Jimmy_Two_Times), 253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,428
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,321
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Turnbull] #614834
09/17/11 04:44 AM
09/17/11 04:44 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Nucky Johnson was the undisputed boss of AC. But he was a big fish in a little pond. AC never had more than 60k residents, and while it was a "pleasure dome," with plenty of money to be made from booze, whores and gambling, it was no Chicago or New York.

There was no big meeting of Johnson with Luciano, Colosimo, Torrio, Capone and Rothstein in 1920. Never happened. Colosimo was whacked in 1920 in part because he didn't see the profit potential of Prohibition. Capone's latest biographer, Laurence Bergreen, says Capone wasn't even with Torrio in 1920. Luciano was a freelance drug dealer and gambling game operator in 1920. In any event, the Chicago Outfit didn't need to get its booze from AC--it got booze via local distillers and rumrunning over the Great Lakes.

There was a big gangster convention in AC in 1929, hosted by Johnson. But he was the host, not the arbiter. Torrio and Capone were there. Rothstein wasn't there--he was dead by that time. Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Moe Dalitz, Charlien Luciano, Joe Adonis and Frank Costello formed the "Big Six," controlling all booze in the East through Ohio. Since the meeting followed the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, onee of the major outcomes was that the attendees strongly advised Capone to lower his profile, lest the heat he generated via the massacre fall out on them. Capone arranged to have himself arrested for carrying a gun in Philadelphia after the convention, and spent a year in a PA prison while things cooled down in Chicago.

Thanks for this, I needed to know how accurate the story is, and it seems it is just a story, but a great one nonetheless.

///

I was as lost as Van Alden's partner when he was naming the mob one by one, I think I saw that scene a couple of times to get who is who. I jumped at mentioning the name of Capone, I too think he is short, but sure looks like him, plus I like the character and his stupid jokes and how he takes it personally when he is the punchline. lol

I also was pleased to have heard the name of Meyer Lansky before. grin Not sure if he was at one time at the mercy of Nucky?! confused

Anyway, a great show and I'm glad I caught up with this one sooner than I usually do. I really enjoyed every minute of it. And also glad that Mr Pink finally got to play someone like Nucky. wink

I can't wait till the soundtrack is on p2p to grab, I want to listen to that Carrickfergus so badly, without going through Eli puking! grin

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: afsaneh77] #615609
09/25/11 11:49 AM
09/25/11 11:49 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Tonight's the night!!! smile

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #615613
09/25/11 12:18 PM
09/25/11 12:18 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Watching the repeats last week to refresh my memory, and as a tidbit, didn't realize that Houdini's brother was following in his brother's footsteps.

Don't know how long this show will keep my interest, but I think the set is just fabulous and looks so authentic (not that I was around during that time mind you.) lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #615620
09/25/11 01:06 PM
09/25/11 01:06 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
The set is authentic looking. I believe its one of HBO Studios, I think they used the same studio in a Sopranos Episode when there on the boardwalk ( I think its one of Tonys Flashbacks on Big Pussy)

I remember reading somewhere correct me if I'm wrong that NJ didn't want them filming the show or parts of the show there? Just like they did with Jersey Shore the one year

It's funny because of the states debt and onslaught of political corruption. Like they don't want a bad public image

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #615635
09/25/11 02:04 PM
09/25/11 02:04 PM
California

California
Just a heads up, in case you guys don't know. Checking HBO listings there is a BE "Preshow" at 5:45 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (8:45 EST). I assume it's to recap (which I'm glad for) the previous season before they start the second.

smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #615696
09/25/11 10:07 PM
09/25/11 10:07 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
A very enjoyable, if busy, opening show. It set up a lot of openings for the next few shows and looks to be a good season.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #615712
09/25/11 11:34 PM
09/25/11 11:34 PM
California

California
Ok, refresh my memory, who is that creepy guy staying with Jimmy and his wife? What happened to his face? And what were the newspaper clippings he was saving?

I remember last season a guy sleeping on the couch and the little boy get scared not knowing he's there but I forgot his story. Is that the same guy? confused

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #615719
09/26/11 01:03 AM
09/26/11 01:03 AM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Ok, refresh my memory, who is that creepy guy staying with Jimmy and his wife? What happened to his face? And what were the newspaper clippings he was saving?

I remember last season a guy sleeping on the couch and the little boy get scared not knowing he's there but I forgot his story. Is that the same guy? confused

TIS

he's pretty much jimmy's 'luca brasi' with being an enforcer. he was a sniper in WWI, and i don't remember if they ever explained what happened to his face. and, no clue on the clippings part.

anyways though i enjoyed the episode, and i can't wait for the next episode.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: BAM_233] #615723
09/26/11 03:54 AM
09/26/11 03:54 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: BAM_233

he's pretty much jimmy's 'luca brasi' with being an enforcer. he was a sniper in WWI, and i don't remember if they ever explained what happened to his face. and, no clue on the clippings part.

anyways though i enjoyed the episode, and i can't wait for the next episode.

Same guy. His character's name is Richard Harrow and he and Jimmy met in an Army hospital in Chicago. His face was disfigured in WWI, and he is a very sensitive, yet very deadly guy. He has, IMO, the characterizations to be one of the best and most interesting players in the cast.

The newspaper clippings were of pictures of "normal" families (like in a Norman Rockwell painting) and that is something that Harrow wants very much, but will never be able to achieve because of his disfiguration. Notice how he just stared at the wife when she served Jimmy his coffee... it was a simple act on behalf of a wife, yet it showed love to this demented, sensitive soul.Harrow very genuinely said, "thank you" to the wife when she served him his coffee and I'd bet he never meant "thank you" any more than he did then.

This is a great fucking show!

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #615741
09/26/11 12:48 PM
09/26/11 12:48 PM
California

California
Thanks for the clarification SC. I do find that guy creepy. It sounds like he's going to get even creepier.

Is that Van Alden (the cop) nuts or what? Remember he drowned that guy during a wanna-be religious/repentant type ceremony? And his wife shocked while visiting the BE, at the fliers promoting alcohol/prostitutes; she wanted him to arrest the people at the restaurant because they were serving alcohol. LOL I don't get why he took her there in the first place. Anyway what a nutjob. I look for him to go further off the deep end.

Did you watch the short "pre-show" documentary before the episode? I just love the backdrop and fashion. Both the ladies (who said basically the clothes were very comfortable and loose) and the guys (who said every guy would "dress-up" back then) enjoyed wearing the attire. I imagine it's like playing dress-up. Oh, and the music adds the perfect touch. Like the song by the woman asking more or less "what do you want" from the man. I can't tell if it was or wasn't a song from that era, or made for the show, but it fit right in the atmosphere. smile Many tunes I do recognize.

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #615748
09/26/11 01:40 PM
09/26/11 01:40 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Nucky speaking at both churches was one of the most interesting moments of this episode. I was confused for a moment there. I'm not used to waiting for another episode for a week. ohwell Or for the new season for a year. lol

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #615749
09/26/11 01:44 PM
09/26/11 01:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Nucky has two guys and his brother to defend him and two of them are preparing his demise. How in the world could he ever hope to stand up to the Mafia or any group of organized thugs?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #615753
09/26/11 02:51 PM
09/26/11 02:51 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Saw Dominic Chianese's name in the credits, but unless I'm really losing it, I didn't notice him in the first episode -- right?

Great show/series!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #615754
09/26/11 02:54 PM
09/26/11 02:54 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Nucky has two guys and his brother to defend him and two of them are preparing his demise. How in the world could he ever hope to stand up to the Mafia or any group of organized thugs?

i believe that jimmy will turn on his father, and jimmy will have to kill nucky's brother.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: BAM_233] #615756
09/26/11 04:19 PM
09/26/11 04:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

i believe that jimmy will turn on his father, and jimmy will have to kill nucky's brother.

Good theory.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #615760
09/26/11 04:56 PM
09/26/11 04:56 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
anothe theory i have is that either margaret's son or jimmy's son will die sometime during the season. or at least something major will happen with both of them.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #615771
09/26/11 06:39 PM
09/26/11 06:39 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Oh, and the music adds the perfect touch. Like the song by the woman asking more or less "what do you want" from the man. I can't tell if it was or wasn't a song from that era, or made for the show, but it fit right in the atmosphere. smile Many tunes I do recognize.

TIS

I believe but am not 100% certain that the song was sung by Kathie Brier, who plays Sophie Tucker on the show.

But anyway it is an old song written by Irving Berlin, After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It. Presumably it was addressed by a man to a woman but songs like that work perfectly for both genders. whistle

It's been recorded by Nat King Cole and Marilyn Monroe among others.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #615778
09/26/11 07:22 PM
09/26/11 07:22 PM
California

California
I remember Sophie Tucker. eek She use to be on Ed Sullivan way way back fairly regularly, if I'm thinking of the right person. Is that who the lounge singer is suppose to be? I must have missed hearing the name. Thanks for the tidbit Lilo. It's little stuff like that that makes it kind of neat IMHO.

Also, for the second time they showed the store (hospital ?)were they have premie babies displayed in the window. confused

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #615782
09/26/11 07:48 PM
09/26/11 07:48 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
IIRC Van Alden's wife was pestering him to allow her to move down to live with him while he was on assignment. That he could not allow, not least b/c of the business with Lucy. So he may have wanted to show her first hand all of the "sin" in the city so that she would be disgusted and unwilling to live there.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Lilo] #615783
09/26/11 07:56 PM
09/26/11 07:56 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
IIRC Van Alden's wife was pestering him to allow her to move down to live with him while he was on assignment. That he could not allow, not least b/c of the business with Lucy. So he may have wanted to show her first hand all of the "sin" in the city so that she would be disgusted and unwilling to live there.

how many episodes will it take till she finds out though...i mean really this could be a golden thing for nucky to get rid of van alden.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: GottiMafia] #615799
09/27/11 01:57 AM
09/27/11 01:57 AM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
I watched all of the first season repeats. What an awesome series. Just started season two.

It is better to beg for forgivness than ask for permission.
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: SC] #615800
09/27/11 01:58 AM
09/27/11 01:58 AM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
It was awesome.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #615801
09/27/11 02:00 AM
09/27/11 02:00 AM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
I like the show a lot it is very interesting seeing how things worked back then during this era. I was a recruiter for the military in AC and I have to say that it looks very authentic the set that is.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: olivant] #615838
09/27/11 12:00 PM
09/27/11 12:00 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

Money, friends in high places and Atlantic City's police force.

Hyman Roth had only Johnny Ola and a few men yet he was able to challenge the most powerful crime family in the country.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #615862
09/27/11 05:23 PM
09/27/11 05:23 PM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
I think he is just trying to get by and get all he can while the getting is good.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #615863
09/27/11 05:25 PM
09/27/11 05:25 PM
Ohio
L
Lorenzo Offline
Made Member
Lorenzo  Offline
L
Made Member
Ohio
Maybe they are attempting to clean up the image a bit. Good luck with that notion. It is the same set.

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #616348
10/03/11 03:49 PM
10/03/11 03:49 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The second episode is better than the first one. I hope they'll continue this line.

It's a great serie, but it has its vulnerabilities. Its greatnest is the magnificant setting, good acting, interesting characters. Its weakness is that it feels more of the same and the storyline is not solid. At times it's slow paced and close to boring. But somehow I'm still looking forward to each new episode. But I'm not sure if this serie will survive a third season. Let's hope that it will as it has great potential.

I was hoping/expecting that they would include more characters of the New York underworld, like Masseria, Bugsy Siegel, and here they are. If this serie will hold on long enough they may cover the whole period from 1920 till Luciano's rise to underworld kingpin.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Sonny_Black] #616351
10/03/11 04:06 PM
10/03/11 04:06 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
The second episode is better than the first one. I hope they'll continue this line.

It's a great serie, but it has its vulnerabilities. Its greatnest is the magnificant setting, good acting, interesting characters. Its weakness is that it feels more of the same and the storyline is not solid. At times it's slow paced and close to boring. But somehow I'm still looking forward to each new episode. But I'm not sure if this serie will survive a third season. Let's hope that it will as it has great potential.

I was hoping/expecting that they would include more characters of the New York underworld, like Masseria, Bugsy Siegel, and here they are. If this serie will hold on long enough they may cover the whole period from 1920 till Luciano's rise to underworld kingpin.

the episode was great with jimmy and white. yea it was great that they put bugsy in, but what's with him yelling in jimmy's face like that?

also too when was luciano's rise? along with that when was capone's rise?

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: BAM_233] #616365
10/03/11 07:16 PM
10/03/11 07:16 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

the episode was great with jimmy and white. yea it was great that they put bugsy in, but what's with him yelling in jimmy's face like that?

also too when was luciano's rise? along with that when was capone's rise?

Take away from last night's episode:
1)Don't insult/jump bad with Mr. Chalky White. Cause you might get hurt. I liked the looking around the room and reminding people of loyalties owed. There was a similar scene in Game of Thrones with Catelyn/Tyrion.

2) Don't let Jimmy get too close. He's a very skilled knifeman.

I think the stuff with Bugsy was to "show, not tell". He was supposed to be a little off, a little crazy, fearless. So I thought they showed it effectively.

Capone was the formal boss in Chicago by 1925.
Luciano was a very important gang leader on the East Coast by 1925 as well but still had to step carefully around Masseria and Maranzano, who arrived in the US around 24-25.

Winter is Coming

Re: Boardwalk Empire [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #616385
10/03/11 11:17 PM
10/03/11 11:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
So, Nucky will find back up among the IRA?

And the Commodore's hair ... it's black now?

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull