GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,682
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? #555944
09/25/09 03:30 PM
09/25/09 03:30 PM
H
Hx04 Offline OP
Associate
Hx04  Offline OP
H
Associate
If it was your on brother in the same situation, could you give the order like Michael?

Personally I dont think i could..I would send him away somewhere far and cut him off from all family business but who knows lol!

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Hx04] #555952
09/25/09 04:49 PM
09/25/09 04:49 PM
D
Desertwolf Offline
Button
Desertwolf  Offline
D
Button
If you didn't have the heart to do it, you probably would not need to take that decision!!!

Meaning: if you did not have the heart to make such decisions, you probably would not make it as a Don, and as such would not have to make such decisions anyway!

But do not despair; all of us here are Don-School Dropouts.

Welcome to the community!

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Hx04] #555960
09/25/09 09:35 PM
09/25/09 09:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Welcome, Hx, hope to see many more thoughtful posts from you. smile

Michael's decision to have Fredo killed has troubled many of us here, and we've had many discussions on one aspect or another of that decision. But I think Desertwolf has nicely summarized the answer: None of us here is a Mafia Don, so none of us here would have the same criminal circumstances that surrounded Fredo's betrayal of Michael--and Michael's necessity to have Fredo killed to protect himself, his family and his criminal empire in the future.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Hx04] #555966
09/25/09 10:15 PM
09/25/09 10:15 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Hx04
...Personally I dont think i could..I would send him away somewhere far and cut him off from all family business but who knows lol!

Personally, I don't think I could either.

However, if someone had asked a young, wide-eyed Michael Corleone, newly enlisted in the Marines the day after Pearl Harbor...if he would ever consider having his brother (or anybody) murdered for betraying the Family...I bet that he would give the same answer.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: AppleOnYa] #556005
09/26/09 01:41 PM
09/26/09 01:41 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
IF I was a Mafia family boss, then I could. Growing up in that culture, living it fully, then yes. However, being ME, then no.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #556008
09/26/09 01:56 PM
09/26/09 01:56 PM
H
Hx04 Offline OP
Associate
Hx04  Offline OP
H
Associate
Hi, thanks for the welcoming!

Actually I was reading from another thread about the conspiracy from Fredo, alot of interesting points were made. It seems like his betrayal wnet alot deeper then I thought. I never guessed it would go that far because they were brothers.

Its quite sad actually, all Michael did was love Fredo but Fredo was always looking the other way. What a tragic story with in the family. So I might actually agree with some other people that Michael did the right choice.

p.s. sorry if my grammar or spelling is off

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Hx04] #557516
10/15/09 06:15 AM
10/15/09 06:15 AM
F
Feemce Offline
Wiseguy
Feemce  Offline
F
Wiseguy
as a human being i would not have done it,i would've just kicked him out of the thing but you have to admit that Fredo knew the consequences of betrayal and yet he still did it.

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Feemce] #557562
10/15/09 11:34 AM
10/15/09 11:34 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
If someone was going to have you killed, or in this case was part of the group that was going to have you killed, then I think your whole frame of mind would change when dealing with a person.

Fredo being dumb was not the issue, Fredo being dumb enough to get you killed was. Fredo was not mentally retarted. He could not get a pass for what he did or what he allowed to happen.

Being a family member does not get you free shots at an attempt on someone life. Fredo excuse that he didn't know, only plays on the hearts of people who are to weak to do what has to be done.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: fathersson] #557655
10/15/09 11:15 PM
10/15/09 11:15 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
if i was in michaels shoes i would do the same as he did. it doesn't matter if he is blood or not if you betray the family you are basically considered dead to the family. would it be hard yes, but at the time if you think that your personal family is endanger as well as your crime family then you would have to do what is considered safe. remember too michael had connie's husband killed for betraying the family as well, so he knows what has to be done.

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: BAM_233] #557674
10/16/09 06:34 AM
10/16/09 06:34 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
To play devils's advocate, would Vito have ordered Fredo's death under the same situation?

I don't think so. Of course Fredo wouldn't have had the same resentments so the whole thing would never have happened in that way. But if it did would Vito have ordered the ultimate sanction. No way. So could Michael have found a way to remove Fredo from any power or influence and not kill him? Yes he could have.

But I think that Michael is so insecure and such a black hole of control and rage that he never really considers letting Fredo live. Well, maybe if Fredo hadn't run from him in Cuba, Michael would have found a way. But the boathouse outburst sealed Fredo's fate.

If Michael had had Vito's people skills, he would have noticed something going on with Fredo and would have tried to make sure Fredo was content with what he was doing. Of course as a Mafia Boss such things aren't really part of his job description, but as a brother and defacto patriarch, they should have been.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Lilo] #557677
10/16/09 07:14 AM
10/16/09 07:14 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Fom a Mafia Don's perspective, Michael makes two grave mistakes when dealing with Fredo. He breaks Don Vito's rules of "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." and "Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking". In Cuba, it is quite clear that Fredo is the traitor and no "friend" of the family. After losing control of his emotions, Michael then kisses Fredo and tells him that he knows about the betrayal. Any other mafia family traitor, without warning, would have been dead in 24 hours or followed to find out who else helped him and revealed the balance of conspirators. Michael should never have told Fredo that he knew it was him. Fredo and his wife should have been moved back to the family compound immediately where he could be monitored. From a brother's perspective, Michael was indeed crushed and heartbroken - no doubt. Back to the original question...No, I could not have had my own brother killed. Great question, HX and wecome to the board.

Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Lilo] #557723
10/16/09 12:59 PM
10/16/09 12:59 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted By: Lilo
To play devils's advocate, would Vito have ordered Fredo's death under the same situation?

Two words: mental institution.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: How would you handle Fredo's betrayal? [Re: Mark] #557729
10/16/09 01:50 PM
10/16/09 01:50 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Mark
Fom a Mafia Don's perspective, Michael makes two grave mistakes when dealing with Fredo. He breaks Don Vito's rules of "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." and "Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking". In Cuba, it is quite clear that Fredo is the traitor and no "friend" of the family. After losing control of his emotions, Michael then kisses Fredo and tells him that he knows about the betrayal. Any other mafia family traitor, without warning, would have been dead in 24 hours or followed to find out who else helped him and revealed the balance of conspirators. Michael should never have told Fredo that he knew it was him. Fredo and his wife should have been moved back to the family compound immediately where he could be monitored. From a brother's perspective, Michael was indeed crushed and heartbroken - no doubt. Back to the original question...No, I could not have had my own brother killed. Great question, HX and wecome to the board.

Welcome FX

Regarding the quoted post, I think Michael did "keep Fredo closer." Yes he had the "I knew it was you....you broke my heart" scene, but shortly after he tried to get Fredo into his car to allow him safe passage from Cuba. Terrified, Fredo would not go. The first business move Michael made when he got back to Nevada from Cuba was to instruct Tom to get in touch with him, to tell him that things were ok, that Roth misled him, and basically that he could come home to Tahoe, which he did. Fredo lived there in comfort for some time. I believe Michael did not decide that Fredo had to be killed until the
"I was passed over" scene. What happened there were a couple of things. First, Fredo showed how much he resented Michael and the fact that his own father wanted him to be passed over. This demonstrated that Fredo had not lost any of the rage that led to his betrayal of Michael to Roth, and it meant that given the chance, Fredo would do it again.
Second, Michael learned that Fredo knew Pentangeli was alive. Not only did Fredo keep this to himself while Michael and Tom were prparing for the Senate hearings, but after the perjury trap was set he lied to Tom, claiming he knew nothing. Michael got Fredo mad, and obtained this information. This demonstrated that the betrayal was ongoing, and that perhaps Fredo wanted Michael to go to prison so he could "take over."

As a mafia Don, once this happened Michael had to have him killed. Note Michael did not give Neri the order until after that outburst.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull