GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Irishman12, Malavita, Ben54, DanteMoltisanti, 1 invisible), 70 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,650
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,872
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
President Obama's Letter to Students #554077
09/05/09 10:42 AM
09/05/09 10:42 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline OP
AppleOnYa  Offline OP

New Jersey
Follow up to the 'school address' conversation.

Last winter shortly after President Obama took office, my daughter's school took part in one of those projects where students wrote letters to the President which were then forwarded to the White House. I happily had my child take part, making sure she wrote a respectful, congratulatory letter, wishing him well.

A few months later, all participating students received a copy of the following letter signed by the President:

June 1, 2009

Dear Students:

Thank you for your recent notes, and for sharing your thoughts with me. Your kind words echo the messages of millions of Americans who have welcomed me and my family to the White House with an outpouring of goodwill.

On January 20th, Americans spoke with one voice, choosing hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. Our Nation faces serious challenges, but we will overcome them if our imagination is joined to common purpose.

Now is our time to work together, reaffirm our enduring spirit, and choose our better history. With your help, we will renew our Nations promise to carry forth the great gift of freedom to future generations, as our forebears have delivered it to us.

Sincerely...

My daughter's copy of this letter has remained posted on our wall since the day she brought it home, my having explained to her that although I hadn't voted for him it was nevertheless a special and positive thing to receive such correspondence from the President.

I am not 'frightened' of anything this President has to say, either to myself or my child.

However, just like any protester of war, torture, immigration reform or ever increasing taxes...I am free to express to him in any non-violent way that I choose, that I disagree with what he is doing and the way he is attempting to do it.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: AppleOnYa] #554321
09/07/09 12:22 PM
09/07/09 12:22 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I know, that evil man.

When did the right become such vaginas anyway?

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #554387
09/08/09 12:30 PM
09/08/09 12:30 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
When I was 8, I wrote a letter to Richard Nixon, and actually got a personal response. The letter is somehere at my parents' house.

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: klydon1] #554720
09/11/09 12:17 PM
09/11/09 12:17 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I had a letter to me signed by JFK and I lost it.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: dontomasso] #554807
09/12/09 02:47 PM
09/12/09 02:47 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
DT,

How neat. Not that you lost it, but that you had it. :pWhat was the letter regarding and what date? I imagine it might be valuable today, both politically and personally no/

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: AppleOnYa] #554815
09/12/09 03:43 PM
09/12/09 03:43 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

However, just like any protester of war, torture, immigration reform or ever increasing taxes...I am free to express to him in any non-violent way that I choose, that I disagree with what he is doing and the way he is attempting to do it.
Apple

You sure about that Apple? I thought that the right to speak out, oppose and protest was only applicable when a Republican is President. lol wink

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Originally Posted By: klydon1
When I was 8, I wrote a letter to Richard Nixon, and actually got a personal response. The letter is somehere at my parents' house.

Tell em TIS, I have them BOTH beat, right?

I got a kiss from the former First Lady when meeting her a few days after September 11th 2001.

WARNING! WARNING!
Click to reveal..

. sick sick

lol lol lol

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: Don Cardi] #554817
09/12/09 04:05 PM
09/12/09 04:05 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Originally Posted By: AppleOnYa

Apple

You sure about that Apple? I thought that the right to speak out, oppose and protest was only applicable when a Republican is President. lol wink

Originally Posted By: dontomasso

Originally Posted By: klydon1

Tell em TIS, I have them BOTH beat, right?

I got a kiss from the former First Lady when meeting her a few days after September 11th 2001.

WARNING! WARNING!
Click to reveal..

. sick sick

lol lol lol

Ha ha ha ha!!!! That's right. And you haven't washed your face since. lol That's like if I got a kiss from W!!! Everyone here would be laughing their ass off while I'd be pewking. How funny. lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 09/12/09 04:06 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #554818
09/12/09 04:14 PM
09/12/09 04:14 PM
California

California
DT's memory of JFK letter reminds me of the vague vague memory I have of being downtown with my mom and seeing Eisenhower. I am not sure of the year, but I was maybe 4 or 5. I saw signs and people wearing the "I like Ike" buttons. I simply remember the excitement of the crowd and the activity but that's it. ohwell

Although I have no letter, one of my happiest political moments came when I saw JFK go by our school and wave to the crowd in 1960 (I was about12). Years later in 68 I shook Bobby Kennedy's hand at the airport. I remember there was a crowd and I inched my way to the front of the fence he walked along and got to shake his hand. In both cases however, nothing I have saved except the memory.

TIS

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #554823
09/12/09 04:42 PM
09/12/09 04:42 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
DT's memory of JFK letter reminds me of the vague vague memory I have of being downtown with my mom and seeing Eisenhower. I am not sure of the year, but I was maybe 4 or 5.

That would have been before he was the president. Come to think of it, if you were 4 or 5, that was before Eisenhower was a general. He was probably a private in the Army then.

whistle

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: SC] #554825
09/12/09 05:18 PM
09/12/09 05:18 PM
California

California
Let's see SC, how does that saying go? Oh yea, nobody likes a smart ass! grin

Just on a whim, and because I can, grin I googled the 1968 RFK Michigan visit. Not from the airport, but some of the rallies downtown. I was hoping to find a long lost shot of me that I never knew about, but alas, it was not meant to be.

TIS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henry2u/

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: SC] #554868
09/13/09 02:35 PM
09/13/09 02:35 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
DT's memory of JFK letter reminds me of the vague vague memory I have of being downtown with my mom and seeing Eisenhower. I am not sure of the year, but I was maybe 4 or 5.

That would have been before he was the president. Come to think of it, if you were 4 or 5, that was before Eisenhower was a general. He was probably a private in the Army then.

whistle

Don't listen to him TIS.

He was probably around when the King was still ruling the colonies!

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: President Obama's Letter to Students [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #554980
09/14/09 12:51 PM
09/14/09 12:51 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

DT,

How neat. Not that you lost it, but that you had it. :pWhat was the letter regarding and what date? I imagine it might be valuable today, both politically and personally no/

TIS

The letter was written in the spring of 1961. I wrote to him about the Peace Corps, and I got a two paragraph response. All I remember about it was that
he ended the letter like this:

...I am,
Very truly yours

John F. Kennedy.

For years I ended all my correspondence that way (except for the name). I shook hands with Jimmy Carter once, and all I remember was how short he was.
Also was in a hotel lobby when Ronald Reagan walked in (1976 GOP Convention),and I still remember what a tremendous presence he had. He literally sucked all the air out of the room. I saw Clinton speak in public, and he, like Reagan had the same magic. Last year during the primaries, my wife was working out and Obama (with secret service) came into the room and worked out on a machine right across from her. He had his I-Pod, and she made eye contact but did not want to bother him. She said he looked incredibly intense.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull