GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lou_Para, 1 invisible), 564 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,116
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,719
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6153
01/20/04 01:09 PM
01/20/04 01:09 PM
Metro Detroit
Alonzo the Armless Offline OP
Made Member
Alonzo the Armless  Offline OP
Made Member
Metro Detroit
Why was Vincent featured so prominantly in GODFATHER, PART II? Where were Sonny's other kids? Didn't he have at least one legitimate son? How about Tom's kids? Didn't any of the mgrow up and help out in the family business?

The only reason I figure they used Vincent is because it added plot drama of romancing cousins to tie in to the opera at the end of the movie.

Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6154
01/20/04 01:19 PM
01/20/04 01:19 PM
Bristol
Don Luciano Offline
Capo
Don Luciano  Offline
Capo
Bristol
If you remember Tom Hagen's son (Andrew) was featured as a priest in GF III who was appointed into the Vatican around the time Don Corelone was getting involved with Arch Bishop Gilday and Immobilliare.

SHADOW LAW MAFIA
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6155
01/20/04 01:29 PM
01/20/04 01:29 PM
Ireland
Accardo Offline
Button
Accardo  Offline
Button
Ireland
The rest I presume DID NOT want to help out in the family business which then explains their absence. The film was about the family business!

"Can't you give me a straight answer anymore?"
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6156
01/20/04 07:40 PM
01/20/04 07:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It's been said that at various times, FFC and Puzo considered script treatments that would have had Anthony in the business, but evidently they rejected that approach as lacking credibility. Sonny's sons might have been successors, but they were essentially unknowns. I suppose they chose the Vincent character because he was illegitimate, but a family member nonetheless. Hence, give a break to someone to whom the family has an "obligation" and perpetuate the family, as in Michael saying, "Nephew, call yourself Vincent Corleone," and Vincent kisses his hand. and, as a favorite of Connie's, she got a more assertive role.
The romance of cousins has no tieback to the opera, "Cavalleria Rusticana." What does tie in is the theme of vengeance in Sicily. Also, note that Vincent threw down his challenge to Zasa early in the film by biting his ear--as does the "Cavalleria" character Turriddu to the character Alfio (we see this in the film, and Vincent grins knowingly).

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6157
01/20/04 08:31 PM
01/20/04 08:31 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Sonny's family was moved down to Florida or something like that, and Sandra probably didnt want her kids talking to the family. As for the topic-Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? it was because Bob was taken.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6158
01/20/04 09:59 PM
01/20/04 09:59 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I remember reading somewhere (may have been on these boards or on another site ) that Sonny's legitimate son, I think his name is Frank, was supposedly going to school in Florida, an all pro high school or college football player. His two daughters do appear in GFII at the communion, and get even more exposure in a deleted scene when one of them asks Michaels permission to marry.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6159
01/21/04 07:00 AM
01/21/04 07:00 AM
North London
Bella Mafia UK Offline
Capo
Bella Mafia UK  Offline
Capo
North London
I think FFC chose to make the character of Vincent an illegitimate son for dramatic effect to make a point about Vincent's character.

Remember when Zasa is in the meeting with Michael and Vincent, Zasa turns to Michael and tells him that all bastards (illegitimate children)are liars, and that Shakespeare used to write about that kind of thing. In tradtional drama and literature, "bastards" were always portrayed as hot-blooded, cunning and often evil characters. This harps back to the ancient idea that the manner of your conception determines your adult character (ie, an illicit yet passionate affair would produce a person with a hot temperment).

So I think FFC used this traditional dramatic device and coupled it with the fact that Sonny's temper would have passed on to his son, to create the character of Vincent.

What Turnbull said is also true - Michael may have felt an obligation towards Vincent and this would be emphasised by his being illegitimate, he has been hard done by and has been partially isolated from the rest of his family.

...there's people who would pay a lot of money for that information. But then your daughter would lose a father..instead of gaining a husband.
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6160
01/23/04 01:49 PM
01/23/04 01:49 PM
San Diego
norweejun Offline
Wiseguy
norweejun  Offline
Wiseguy
San Diego
Originally posted by Alonzo the Armless:
Why was Vincent featured so prominantly in GODFATHER, PART II? Where were Sonny's other kids? Didn't he have at least one legitimate son? How about Tom's kids? Didn't any of the mgrow up and help out in the family business?

The only reason I figure they used Vincent is because it added plot drama of romancing cousins to tie in to the opera at the end of the movie.

"I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY WOP! I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY WOP!"
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6161
01/23/04 01:54 PM
01/23/04 01:54 PM
San Diego
norweejun Offline
Wiseguy
norweejun  Offline
Wiseguy
San Diego
Vincent was prominent because he carries the theme of the movie, unholy, illegittimate or broken unions... cousins... bastard sons.. the mafia and the vatican... mike and kate etc

Originally posted by Alonzo the Armless:

"I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY WOP! I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY WOP!"
Re: Why Vincent in Godfather Part III? #6162
01/26/04 02:07 PM
01/26/04 02:07 PM
New York
Don_Michael_Corleone Offline
Button
Don_Michael_Corleone  Offline
Button
New York
Probably all of Sonny's kids grew up like him and Tom's kids were raised without violence

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull