GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,825
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Inglorious Basterds #553666
09/01/09 09:13 AM
09/01/09 09:13 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was totally twisted, so I loved it. I see it is at #35 on imdb...not bad for something that has been out for so short a time.

Any one else see it?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: dontomasso] #553673
09/01/09 11:22 AM
09/01/09 11:22 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

It was okay. It lacked something but I can't put my finger on what.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Longneck] #553681
09/01/09 12:21 PM
09/01/09 12:21 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Longneck
It was okay. It lacked something but I can't put my finger on what.

shhh I thought it had a happy ending.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: dontomasso] #553703
09/01/09 06:11 PM
09/01/09 06:11 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Originally Posted By: dontomasso
You will either love or hate this movie. I thought it was totally twisted, so I loved it. I see it is at #35 on imdb...not bad for something that has been out for so short a time.

Any one else see it?

It will soon drop down the list as Dark Knight was number 1 for a short time but has since dropped to 8th..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: DE NIRO] #553835
09/03/09 12:38 AM
09/03/09 12:38 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Yeah, #35 on IMDB means every hardcore Tarantino fan who thinks he can do no wrong gave him a 10 rating. The rating will drop. I will still watch this though when it comes out on DVD.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Blibbleblabble] #553837
09/03/09 01:28 AM
09/03/09 01:28 AM
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

I'd give it a 7/10 or 8/10

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Longneck] #554048
09/05/09 02:08 AM
09/05/09 02:08 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
I loved it. Thought it was brilliant besides the Mike Myers cameo which was just corny and didn't work. Acting was spot on otherwise. 8/10

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: whisper] #554079
09/05/09 11:16 AM
09/05/09 11:16 AM
Hell
FredoCorleone Offline
Professor With The Hardhat
FredoCorleone  Offline
Button
Hell
I loved the movie, 9.5/10. And as everbodyies been saying, Christoph Waltz was fantastic. Only minor problem was the Basterds werent in enough of it.
As for imdb ratings, they flip flop so much. I remember when public enemies came out, the first round of very positive reviews came in, and it trumped the Godfathers 9.1 with about a 9.3 for about 5 hours, and about a day later it was down to 7.9
As for Inglorious Basterds, thats still up there, high on the list.

Last edited by FredoCorleone; 09/05/09 11:17 AM.

Need scriptwriter for upcoming Godfather Part 4, Personal message me if you wish to participate!
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: FredoCorleone] #554145
09/05/09 07:27 PM
09/05/09 07:27 PM
Hell
FredoCorleone Offline
FredoCorleone  Offline
Button
Hell
As an example, the film " Big Fan" currently holds a 9.1 same as the GF.

Need scriptwriter for upcoming Godfather Part 4, Personal message me if you wish to participate!
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: DE NIRO] #558103
10/20/09 05:44 AM
10/20/09 05:44 AM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO

It will soon drop down the list as Dark Knight was number 1 for a short time but has since dropped to 8th..

The IMDB list is a joke, you better stay away from it. It's so bad that whenever there's a popular summer blockbuster like the new batman or the new spiderman, then it will suddenly enter the top 10 movies of all time. Yeah right, I wont even put any of those movies in the top 10,000 list.

If the Dark Knight was #1 then I'm very happy I never follow that list. And 8th place is just as ridiculous. So Heath Ledger did a good joker. And Johnny Depp did a good pirate in another movie series. These movies are pure time-wasters, they dont offer anything that stays with you, anything you take from those movies. Maybe it's just me and my lousy taste, but I really cant fathom what's so great about these batman, spiderman or pirates movies.

I wonder if "Transformers" also entered that list. Actually forget it, I dont want to know. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Fame] #560984
11/23/09 09:17 AM
11/23/09 09:17 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
just watched it saturday night. given the fact that I'm relatively young and I have good taste for movies, this is one of the best movies I've ever watched on the big screen.

of course Christophe Waltz is disturbingly good, but in fact every piece of acting is worth a note. the mannerisms and expressions are all spot on and even with multiple closes and incredibly long dialogues they never fail at their delievering, leading the audience to believe the nonsense.

after all, if you can't have a good time watching this, I believe you have serious enjoyment problems. if it isn't interesting, it should be funny. for a fan of "fantasy flicks" - in the meaning of "O brother, where art thou" rathen than that of "Harry Potter - with a comedy/drama mix, this is really great.

I'll have to check this thought in a few months and a few watchings down the road but I believe "Basterds" is much better than "Kill Bill" - which I liked - and the only bad thing like Fredo pointed out is that there isn't enough of the Bastards in it. I could enjoy a trashy prequel about them!

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Tony Mosrite] #566202
01/27/10 10:34 PM
01/27/10 10:34 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Just saw it this past weekend - all in all a pretty good flick. However, if you don't know your history very well it can easily confuse a younger uninformed audience. Grading on "for entertainment purposes only" - I give it an 8.

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Mark] #569306
03/10/10 07:18 PM
03/10/10 07:18 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Hmmm. I just watched this. Some thoughts that are still fresh, that came to me at various points in the film...

It's full of ideas, full of interesting scenarios in themselves; I loved the knowing play with language and language-barriers in various scenes.

The film is never dull.

The best scene is in the tavern basement. It's a masterpiece of tension. Fassbender, what little has time he has, almost steals the film. Extending from this: Tarantino is a great craftsman, of both narrative and visual direction.

I didn't find it as objectionable as I thought I might; I suspect this is more to do with the casting - everyone's great - and the actors' delivery of dialogue. I had forgotten that Tarantino knows how to stage a scene.

Tarantino writes dialogue for scenes as if he's seemingly wanting to be quoted, to be watched in script-writing schools; some of it works - in this film, most of it works (I don't think it did in the Kill Bill films, though it's been a while...).

It's the final twenty minutes of the film where it kind of nosedives; it's set-up to be some grand fantastical pay-off, a sort of self-justifying indulgence that translates to, 'Hey, we've gone this far with the fictional story, a little further won't go amiss - what do people expect?'

Yes and no: while the final twenty minutes aren't much more historically inconceivable than the rest of the film, I felt it was a major misfire. The climax in the cinema bears a direct visual resemblance to both history proper and more accurate WW2 films; Klimov's horrific Come and See came to mind. This shift, from tense, playful, witty storytelling, to almost identical role-reversal of history (and the whole 'epic' finality of it), is reprehensible.

It's just so beautifully put together that it's very easy to see how people could consciously enjoy the film without even considering its problematic issues; and these issues are far from insignificant. Tarantino is far from unaware of reality; he knows exactly what kind of political climate he's making a film in. As with Kill Bill, revenge is not only validated here, but actively endorsed - how else are we meant to respond to the sheer upbeat hipness of the way violence is depicted here? The accompanying music - one example in particular is when The Bear Jew is ascending the cinema stairs at the end - and the way Tarantino chops it up, cuts it off, as if not only to remind us of his authorial control, but also to make us enjoy the fact we've been made aware of it. It's a post-Tarantino film made by Tarantino.

This film is too self-conscious for its own good; it's more calculated than artistic. Sself-indulgence is a defining feature of art; but that doesn't necessarily make a good work of art. Art consists of and offers us much, much more than what transitory sensory pleasures. There's a whole, enormous baggage that comes with any work of art, because no art is created in a vacuum. Tarantino's clever-dick self-consciousness tries to evade all accusations of repugnance and so on before the fact - he thinks he's ahead of his own critics; I just think he's seen a lot of films and thinks knowing how to craft one in your own image is enough to be acclaimed.

Artists like this - or, to keep with my term above, 'calculators' (opportunists) - thrive in a time of critical ineptitude. The professional critics heaping very serious praise on this film are more annoying than the film itself, because very few of them are actually engaging with what the film relates to, what it represents, the issues that it unavoidably and inherently raises as a conscious response to history. Such 'critics' - and they are many - expose their own lack of seriousness.

I guess when so few are thinking about the same world that they're actually disillusioned with, films like this can get away with 'escapism'. It's just cynical exploitation.

It's frustrating, because in terms of technical control of the cinema apparatus, and even of narrative structure (though he's self-indulgent, I never think his films are too long), I'd like to rank Tarantino as an exciting, informed contemporary film-maker; but as an artist, as a thinker, without some kind of major U-turn in his approach to life, I don't think he's capable of creating a significant work.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 03/10/10 07:28 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #573827
05/16/10 01:07 AM
05/16/10 01:07 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
I thought it was great! I can see why it ruffled a few feathers with changing the course of WW2 but that's what movies, books etc are for! Fun, entertainment. Well, fictional movies and books anyway!

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: dontomasso] #712022
04/21/13 06:07 PM
04/21/13 06:07 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Brad Pitt's character says they're going to "kill Nazis".
In fact they kill German soldiers, no matter if they're Nazis or not.
It looks like in the latest war movies American and British soldiers refer to German soldiers as Nazis. I doubt they did so during the war.
Does anybody have solid knowledge about that?

Re: Inglorious Basterds [Re: dontomasso] #712487
04/24/13 02:09 PM
04/24/13 02:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It bored me. I just can't accept Brad Pitt as a tough guy.

By the way, there is a '67 Bo Sevenson movie entitled the same way but with a preceding The.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull