GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Malavita, Ciment, 2 invisible), 275 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,918
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,333
Posts1,058,810
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Old Mafia vs. New Mafia #550830
08/03/09 01:02 AM
08/03/09 01:02 AM
Italian_Mafia_Boss Offline OP
Boss Of All Bosses
Italian_Mafia_Boss  Offline OP
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
I would like to observe other users' opinions on this topic which I believe should be a subject discussed. The original Mafia was created over 300 years ago in Sicily, it was meant for protecting the Italian/Sicilian people from the invaders trying to take over Sicily. Back then they followed the rules and Omertà and had honor. When Cosa Nostra expanded to America it still followed the original rules, but once World War II ended both the Sicilian and Italian-American Mafias started to get greedy which led to a very deep decline. Since then more members of the Mafia started disobeying the rules and became rats and started betraying each other. Very few Mafia families today still have that same honor that was created over 300 years ago. So I would like to ask everyone what your opinions are, rather you like the old Mafia from 300 years ago or the new and current Mafia today. I am all for the original Cosa Nostra from over 300 years ago, the current one is not as good.

Ya know one thing about us wise guys? The hustle never ends.- Tony Soprano
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550863
08/03/09 01:55 PM
08/03/09 01:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
It goes way back to what is called The Night of the Sicilian Vespers. It actually took place in Sicily sometime around the 13th century. It was a rebellion / uprise against the French troops allowed to occupy Siciliy by a King that had taken over control of Sicily, supposedly with the backing of the Pope.

The locals were forced to pay heavy taxes to the King. At the time Palermo was being inhabited by French troops. Legend has it that the French inahbitants, with the backing of the King, made it a tradition to force newly married Sicilian brides to spend the night with them BEFORE being with their new husbands on their wedding night. The French inahbitants of Sicily, backed by the King, were abusing the Sicilian people in many different ways, especially the woman. On one particular night while the sicilian people were attending an evening prayer service of vespers, a group of French officials came by to join in and began to drink. They then began to fondle the breasts of the women and with that the sicilian men decided to finally defend the honor of their woman. A revolt started throughout Palermo, and the sicilian men killed the French inahbitants. Hence the term : Night of The Sicilian Vespers."

There is an Urban Legend in Sicily that on that evening a Sicilian woman went into one of the churches in Palermo and found her daughter being raped by a French soldier. Legend has it that she then ran out into the streets yelling "Ma fia Ma fia" which translates into "My daughter! My daughter! Some believe that this is where the word "Mafia" might have originated from.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550867
08/03/09 02:28 PM
08/03/09 02:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
There are lots of legends about the Mafia in Sicily being chivalric, like Italian Robin Hoods. But I doubt it. Mafiosi, then and now, are parasites on society, like other organized criminals. In Sicily, the main job of the local Mafia boss, or gabboletto, was to protect wealthy estate owners and their land and water rights against ordinary people who made claims on them. The landowners wanted cheap labor and the gabboletti kept the contadini in line. In America, the Mafia's primary victims were fellow Italians--just as Jewish, Irish and Chinese gangsters preyed on their own kind.

In earlier times in America, omerta was generally honored because ordinary soldiers had no other ways to make livings, and so they knew if they kept quiet, they'd stay employed when they got out of jail. Also, a lot of the crimes they were involved in, like prostitution, gambling and liquor, were considered "victimless." Even drugs weren't a big deal as long as the victims were people society didn't care about. But in the Sixties, when drugs were widely abused and the victims were nice, white children of politicians, judges and law enforcement, big sentences were handed down. Later RICO piled double-digit sentences for even "conspiring" to be part of organized crime. And the Witness Protection Program gave rats a way out. So much for omerta...

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Turnbull] #550882
08/03/09 03:24 PM
08/03/09 03:24 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
I've heard about that story before Don Cardi. And Turnbull I think you have your facts wrong, back then the Mafia protected the non-wealthy Italian people, like you said they were basically Italian Robin Hoods. But as for the Mafia protecting wealthy land owners, I believe that's false. From what I've researched and from what I've heard from my elder family members (yes I am a descendant of a few Mafia families), the Mafia protected the non-wealthy Italian people.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550925
08/03/09 09:03 PM
08/03/09 09:03 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: Italian_Mafia_Boss

Turnbull I think you have your facts wrong, back then the Mafia protected the non-wealthy Italian people, like you said they were basically Italian Robin Hoods. But as for the Mafia protecting wealthy land owners, I believe that's false.

IMB, I'm afraid that you have your facts and your time frames mixed up. Turnbull is absolutely right in that the Mafia protected the wealthy land owners and the pezzanovantes of the country.

The legend that I posted about, The Night of the Italian Vespars, was supposed to have taken place way back in the 13th century, and it very well may have happened. If it did, I'm sure that the original intent was to protect the people from being raped and abused by those in a position of power.

But Turnbull is dead on correct when he says that those in power manipulated the local Mafioso and used them to protect the wealthy land owners and the pezzanovante in high places. The local Mafioso eventually went from protecting the poor working people to taking advantage of those same poor working people.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #550926
08/03/09 09:10 PM
08/03/09 09:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Here is part of a presentation by Prof. Lorenzo Picchi of the University of Florence (Italy), a recognized authority on the Mafia:

Agrarian mafia
It was in the Sicilian interior that the mafia was exploiting peasants the most
 The Latifondo System
(Described on pag. 156 of the book Cosa Nostra by John Dickie)
A gabelloto leases on a short term contract (usually one year) a property called latifondo from a
noble (this money is called gabella).
Then he shares the land and sub rents each plot of land to the peasants, to be paid through
agricultural products either through the system of the Metateria or the Terraggio.
Metateria - It was a form of Mezzadria that in Sicily did not mean ½ as in the rest of Italy but ¼,
the deal was not made directly with the landowner like in Tuscany in the other region of the North
of Italy but with the middle man, who was a brutal Mafioso; the peasants were not living in the
podere (farm) like in Tuscany and in the rest of Italy but in villages around
Terratico or Terraggio
A quota was fixed TO BE PAID TO THE GABELLOTO, established at the beginning of the year.
Peasants had to loan seeds, loans, wheat from the gabelloto; at the end of the year, being the
contract oral, the gabelloto was of course claiming for a bigger part of what he had anticipated
Donativi: quotas paid to the campieri and sovrastanti by the peasants
The agrarian mafia:
- Landowners
- Gabelloti: joining the mafia enabled a gabelloto to do his job better
- Campieri: protecting the field from bandits
- Sovrastanti: supervising the reaping
- Fontanieri: providing watering to the fields
The parasitic revenue of the gabelloto derived from:
What he was obtaining by the peasants
-
gabella (rent)
Peasants had always debts with the gabelloti and had just enough to survive
If they rebelled the pattern was:
- Friendly advice
- Threat
- Lupara
So they had three alternatives of life:
1) Be exploited by the mafia and reduced to slavery
2) Migrate
3) (Try to) Join the mafia and become a campiere

You can download all of Prof. Picchi's slides here:

http://www.historyofthemafia.net/dispense%20mafia.pdf

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Turnbull] #550949
08/04/09 09:51 AM
08/04/09 09:51 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Great stuff Turnbull. Thanks for sharing!

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #550979
08/04/09 02:09 PM
08/04/09 02:09 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
My family goes back hundreds and maybe even a thousand years ago, my family would've known this stuff because back in Sicily my family worked as peasants on land which included a castle. The research you two are providing could very well be false since there are no facts that we know for sure are true, but I'm going by what my family says, since my family even has written down facts proving my statement.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550983
08/04/09 02:12 PM
08/04/09 02:12 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The research you two are providing could very well be false since there are no facts that we know for sure are true, but I'm going by what my family says, since my family even has written down facts proving my statement.

Using your own words, how do we know that what your family wrote down is true?

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550986
08/04/09 02:24 PM
08/04/09 02:24 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
. . . . since my family even has written down facts proving my statement.

If my father wrote down that his grandfather was the Easter Bunny, would that "prove" it?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: pizzaboy] #550989
08/04/09 02:49 PM
08/04/09 02:49 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
There's also a good chance that if the family from a hundred years ago (or more) were peasants, they wouldn't have known how to write and read.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: SC] #550993
08/04/09 02:59 PM
08/04/09 02:59 PM
J
JerseyGuy Offline
Wiseguy
JerseyGuy  Offline
J
Wiseguy
Hah, good point! LOL

To be honest I agree with the OP to some extent in that the mob hs changed a lot of the years. When it first came to America there were some semblances of the honored society that it claimed itself to be. If you were loyal and followed the rules, you were taken care of. Hundreds of young men joined cosa nostra because of the prospect that you could make money and have an entire of family of guys to help you if you ever needed it. In the older days the mob still lived by those rules and some of them were actually OK people and had some, dare I say it, honor.

Nowadays, we're looking at a completely differenty animal. None of that exists in the mafia anymore. That's my opinion

I'm just waiting for TB to make me look stupid on this one. LOL

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #550996
08/04/09 03:05 PM
08/04/09 03:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
The research you two are providing could very well be false since there are no facts that we know for sure are true, but I'm going by what my family says, since my family even has written down facts proving my statement.

Let me understand this. On one hand you say that there are no facts that we know for sure that are true.

I don't disagree.

But then you go on to say, in the same paragraph, that YOUR family has written down FACTS that PROVE.....

You can't have it both ways my friend. wink

If your family goes back over a thousand years in Sicily, then they probably aren't even Italian.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #551018
08/04/09 07:14 PM
08/04/09 07:14 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
Don Cardi, I'm saying that there aren't any facts from researchers that prove it but there are facts from my family that prove it. And I'm very offended that you insulted my family by saying they're not Italian, every single person in my family is Italian including me, and I guarantee most people on this forum aren't even Italian, so you have no right to say that. SC, we may never know the true story of Cosa Nostra because we weren't around to see it when it first started, but I'm going to believe my family and not researchers because my ancestors were around when it happened, the researchers weren't, and my ancestors passed on what they have experienced and witnessed in their lifetime to the descendants and each generation of my family. Pizzaboy, the Easter Bunny isn't real, so let's be mature here.

Last edited by Italian_Mafia_Boss; 08/04/09 07:27 PM.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551027
08/04/09 07:48 PM
08/04/09 07:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
And I'm very offended that you insulted my family by saying they're not Italian, every single person in my family is Italian including me, and I guarantee most people on this forum aren't even Italian, so you have no right to say that.

If you took the time to read Don Cardi's post, you'd see that he only meant that a thousand years ago Sicily was hardly unified. As a matter of fact, it was under the control of the Normans during the middle ages. Sicily wasn't considered part of the Kingdom of Italy until 1860, so if your ancestors were living there a thousand years ago, they were probably of Arabian descent. But that's not to insult you, that's the case with ALL southern Italians. I'm Calabrese, as is Don Cardi, so we take great pride in our heritage. And you're mistaken, there are plenty of Italians on this forum.

Going by your theory, we can't trust any of the history books on any subject at all, because we "weren't there."

And consider this: You're brand new to this board, and you come out guns blazing about how your family is the Mafia, etc. How are we supposed to take that? You sound like a kid in the 5th grade bragging about his daddy's Mafia connections. Most of us here are serious students of both organized crime and world history in general, so if you're looking for a board where the members are impressed by these thugs, you're in the wrong place. I grew up in an Italian section of New York City when the Mob was at it's peak, as did Don Cardi, SC and Turnbull, to name a few other members. We know what these guys are like from both firsthand experience AND through thorough research. We're not impressed by them.

Welcome to the boards, but try to keep in mind that you are brand new here.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: pizzaboy] #551033
08/04/09 08:25 PM
08/04/09 08:25 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
I know that my family has been around for hundreds of years, I'm not too sure about a thousand but I know my family goes back very far. Yeah I am brand new to this board but I've been observing this board for a long time before I even registered. Anyways I am too a student studying the Mafia, and yes I am Italian and yes there are Mafia ties in my family, but I am not here to bragg, I am here to share my opinions, views, and facts about the Mafia. By the way, I'm Neapolitan, Sicilian, and Calabrese.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551038
08/04/09 08:37 PM
08/04/09 08:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

And I'm very offended that you insulted my family by saying they're not Italian.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

If you took the time to read Don Cardi's post, you'd see that he only meant that a thousand years ago Sicily was hardly unified. As a matter of fact, it was under the control of the Normans during the middle ages. Sicily wasn't considered part of the Kingdom of Italy until 1860, so if your ancestors were living there a thousand years ago, they were probably of Arabian descent. But that's not to insult you, that's the case with ALL southern Italians.

Exactly pizzaboy. That's the difference between someone who actually knows something about the real history of Sicily and someone who just pops off at the mouth on here shooting from the hip.

There never was any intent on my part to throw an insult out. I was just going by history and what my sicilian ancestors that grew up in sicily passed on to my parents, their parents, their parents before them, etc. wink

What's the old saying pizzaboy? Those who walk around dropping names claiming that they know this one, that their uncle is that one or that their family are connected with this one should watch out for the guy who never utters a threat or drops a name.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #551063
08/04/09 09:57 PM
08/04/09 09:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
IMB, you started this thread by stating:
"I would like to observe other users' opinions on this topic which I believe should be a subject discussed."

People here treated you generously by responding, as you requested, with their opinions and citing solid academic research. Now you say that you don't care what we or the researchers said, you're going with what your family wrote down and told you.

So, why did you ask for our opinions in the first place?

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Turnbull] #551087
08/05/09 09:56 AM
08/05/09 09:56 AM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
I asked for your opinions on which version of the Mafia was better. I didn't ask for your opinions on which you think is true.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551135
08/05/09 01:11 PM
08/05/09 01:11 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I asked for your opinions on which version of the Mafia was better. I didn't ask for your opinions on which you think is true.

You know something? You may believe that you are a wiseguy. But as far as I am concerned you're nothing more than a wiseass.

Now go home and get your shine box.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #551179
08/05/09 03:15 PM
08/05/09 03:15 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
I think you've been watching Goodfellas a little too much, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm probably the most Mafia-educated person on here, I may be new to the forum but growing up having a full-blooded Italian family and learning more and more things about Cosa Nostra each and every day of my life would make me know a lot more about it than you.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551180
08/05/09 04:05 PM
08/05/09 04:05 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
That Don Cardi is a funny fellow. He makes me laugh. It's the way he tells a story.

Anyway, IMB, it'd be a good idea to check the attitude at the door before coming in here to post. You'll find you'll get more responses and good discussions without talking down to other members.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: SC] #551184
08/05/09 04:42 PM
08/05/09 04:42 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
hahahahahaha

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Smitty] #551185
08/05/09 05:01 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
Actually I'm not getting an attitude, the others are.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551186
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
I'm probably the most Mafia-educated person on here

I am terribly sorry, but I would have to say the most Mafia-educated person here is Turnbull, no disrespect, I may be completely mistaken, but I have never witnessed your knowledge. Why don't you add your insight to a few of the other threads in this section, and let this whole thing pass?

Benvenuti a schede

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551187
08/05/09 05:05 PM
08/05/09 05:05 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club

I'm probably the most Mafia-educated person on here.....learning more and more things about Cosa Nostra each and every day of my life would make me know a lot more about it than you.

Yep, your smaht, you can do things. Not dumb like everybody says, but smaht, and you deserve respect!

ITALIAN_MAFIA_BOSS

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #551188
08/05/09 05:09 PM
08/05/09 05:09 PM
Boss Of All Bosses
Boss Of All Bosses
Made Member
It makes me laugh how you have nothing better to do with your life other than to do stupid and immature things like that. What a very sad person you are.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Italian_Mafia_Boss] #551189
08/05/09 05:16 PM
08/05/09 05:16 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Guys, take it to the sandbox.

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: SC] #551211
08/05/09 06:44 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC
Guys, take it to the sandbox.

Can I take him fishing instead?

Don Cardi cool

Re: Old Mafia vs. New Mafia [Re: Don Cardi] #551212
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Only if you say a Hail Mary.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull