GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (m2w, 1 invisible), 263 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,343
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The greatest athletes of all time. #550654
07/30/09 09:18 PM
07/30/09 09:18 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline OP
Underboss
Fame  Offline OP
Underboss
Top o' the World
So hopefully we'll have a nice discussion here about what that thread title means.

Is it the biggest number of achievements? (medals, championships)

Is it behaviour too? (sportsmanship on and off the court)

Is it a personal story, a personal triumph?

Should it be a combination of all?

Personally it's hard for me to name just one, but let me list a few that come to mind:

Michael Phelps: still young, still has plenty to do. Yet, many people consider him already to be the greatest athlete in history, because he's got the best results in the pool, won 8 gold medals in the last olympics (a new record) AND many people relate to his personal story, the fact he didnt find himself till swimming came along. Seeing him hug his mom after each victory adds a lot to his credit.

Lance Armstrong: the cyclist who made a name for himself not only by winning the Tour de France no less than 7 times, but also for showing Mr.Cancer that he chose the wrong person to mess around with! what can you say about a man who survived that horrible cancer and came back to race and win? now that's one helluva story about human spirit and tenacity. Will Power at its best.

Roger Federer: the most celebrated athlete and tennis player in history, no less than 15 grand slams titles. But here's a fine example that numbers are not everything: perhaps the most gracious athlete of our generation, a guy who is always full of respect for his rivals, fans, media, you name it. A true champion on and off court. His tennis is something unique, a classy style of tennis no other player can imitate. A man who was born to play tennis. Nowadays, tennis becomes more and more physical...Federer is still there to remind us it's a Gentleman's sport.

Tiger Woods: what Federer is to Tennis, Tiger is for Golf. Not without reason these 2 are good friends, and even compete each other despite playing different sports. What I mean by that is that they have their own private "Grand Slam race", with Federer leading just by one, at the moment of writing these lines. I know that people often say that "Golf isnt sport!" but the truth is, it is. And it's not at all easy to do what this guy is doing. And having fat golf players is no reason to say it isnt sport either. Sport is one big word that contains car racing as well, horse racing, and plenty other fields, many of which you've never even heard of.

Muhammad Ali: I was talking earlier about showing respect for your rivals, and well here comes Ali, and calls his rivals all kind of names, 'ugly' being his favorite I think, be it Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier etc. And I still put him on the list. Because he's the greatest entertainer in my list. He's not my favorite boxer (Dempsey is), but his ability to connect to the audience and turn his ego into something desirable is something very few can achieve. Not to take anything from his great boxing career, but I wouldnt list him here only for that.

Allright, I have to take a break now, and I still got a couple of names I wanted to mention, so I'll let you guys say a few words about them, I'm sure most of you have plenty to say:

Michael Jordan

Babe Ruth

(and he's last for a reason...one of my next threads will be about classic baseball cards, and boy is Babe gonna star there wink

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Fame] #550658
07/30/09 09:42 PM
07/30/09 09:42 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Of course athletic ability would be the prime determining factor for any list but I'd add "heart" to my list as a close second. Heart, the urge to succeed in your field, the intestinal fortitude to go on when you're on the ropes, the desire to give your all.

I try to discount the current or near-current "stars" when compiling such an all-time list. There's a lot I weigh against long time performance by a particular athlete.

I also add some credence to public appeal.

With all this in mind I'll name some that come to mind right now (in no particular order):

1. Jim Thorpe - probably the greatest athlete of the 20th century. He won the pentathlon AND decathlon in the Olympics, played professional football, baseball and basketball.

2. Babe Ruth - probably the single biggest name in sports of the 20th century. His prowess with the bat overshadowed his wonderful pitching skills, too.

3. Muhammad Ali - arguably the greatest prize fighter of all-time. His speed and boxing skills overshadowed decent power and the ability to take a punch.

4. Secretariat - IMO the greatest racehorse of all-time. Winning the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths is one of the greatest single best athletic performances ever. He defined "heart".

5. Tiger Woods - awesome physical skills, concentration and desire add up to make him the best of the best golfers.

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: SC] #550671
07/31/09 01:19 AM
07/31/09 01:19 AM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
By sport:

Baseball- Willie Mays

Football - Jerry Rice

Basketball - Wilt Chamberlain

Hockey - Wayne Gretzky

Boxing - Ray Robinson

Golf - Tiger Woods

Tennis - Pete Sampras

Olympics - Carl Lewis

Granted, I never saw half of these men play, but I'm trusting their "legends".

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Freddie C.] #550726
07/31/09 05:05 PM
07/31/09 05:05 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
It's hard to name just one.

Earl Campbell wasn't the best football player ever, but I haven't seen anyone surpass him in his freakish combination of speed and power. Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker are close. Also, for pure athleticism Rod Woodson was an unbelievable athlete and one of the greatest defensive backs ever.

I agree with SC on Babe Ruth. If he had not converted to playing the outfield, he would have undoubtedly gone down as one of the greatest pitchers ever. The gap between his talent and the rest of the players during his time was far greater than that of any superstar in any sport, including Wayne Gretsky and Michael Jordan.

Jim Thorpe, as SC mentioned, played three team sports very well and was an olympic legend.

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: klydon1] #550738
07/31/09 06:56 PM
07/31/09 06:56 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Carl Lewis in my opinion...He was great in many fields of athletics..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: DE NIRO] #551062
08/04/09 09:45 PM
08/04/09 09:45 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Us of the older generation (SC) will remember the feats of Jim Thorpe. Well, we remember reading about them. There was a good movie about his life (probably from the 50's) starring Burt Lancaster as Thorpe. I went to school with his grandson, but he was not an athelete. Actually a wise-guy, trouble-maker type. Was killed in car accident at age 13-14.

I'll agree with SC - Babe, Ali, Tiger, but not the horse.

Last edited by MaryCas; 08/05/09 09:27 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: MaryCas] #551101
08/05/09 11:12 AM
08/05/09 11:12 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
In boxing definitley Ali.

In athletics i would go for British decathlon king Daley Thompson,the master of 10 events!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #551397
08/07/09 11:14 PM
08/07/09 11:14 PM
dc
Don Dallal Offline
De Facto Boss
Don Dallal  Offline
De Facto Boss
Made Member
dc
The Greatest Athlete of All Time =

* MICHAEL JORDAN *

and that's the whole story

Chris: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE SENATE TO YOU ( T ) ???!!!
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Don Dallal] #551937
08/16/09 12:15 AM
08/16/09 12:15 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Gale Sayers was a pretty good athlete in football. He could do it all as a running back in the 1960's and it is unfortunate that injuries cut his career short. Another name I would throw out there is "Bullet" Bob Hayes who was inducted into the NFL Hall-of-Fame this year. Bob was an Olympic athlete who won two Gold Medals in the 1964 Olympics and then went on to the NFL where he helped innovate the Wide Receiver position. These two don't have the same star power as some of the others, but they were still greats.

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: dontommasino] #551942
08/16/09 02:57 AM
08/16/09 02:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Gale Sayers was a pretty good athlete in football. He could do it all as a running back in the 1960's and it is unfortunate that injuries cut his career short.

A couple of years before Sayers - Jim Brown, THE BEST!!

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: SC] #552024
08/17/09 01:21 AM
08/17/09 01:21 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
Pelé was awarded "Athlete of the Century" or something like that wasn't he? I believe it was an european magazine (L'Equipe from France probably) that handed out the award. Michael Jordan could give him a good run and Michael Phelps is going to go down up there too.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Tony Mosrite] #552150
08/18/09 02:45 AM
08/18/09 02:45 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Phil "the Power" Taylor.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Turi Giuliano] #552161
08/18/09 10:12 AM
08/18/09 10:12 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
In years to come the only name people will say is that of Usain Bolt i imagine!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Turi Giuliano] #552241
08/18/09 06:56 PM
08/18/09 06:56 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
Phil "the Power" Taylor.

What about the "Big Ern" - Ernie McCracken.

What a specimen:

And don't forget about this little shooter:
Click to reveal..

Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: Turi Giuliano] #554396
09/08/09 01:03 PM
09/08/09 01:03 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Turi Giuliano
Phil "the Power" Taylor.
I feel it.

How about Bill Werbeniuk?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: The greatest athletes of all time. [Re: SC] #554876
09/13/09 05:32 PM
09/13/09 05:32 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC

3. Muhammad Ali - arguably the greatest prize fighter of all-time. His speed and boxing skills overshadowed decent power and the ability to take a punch.

Bah! Horsefeathers!

He couldn't shine Marciano's shoes! The Rock would have bitch slapped Ali all over the ring.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.