GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Turnbull, Irishman12), 368 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,066
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,366
Posts1,059,459
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33561
10/09/05 10:50 PM
10/09/05 10:50 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
While watching the Cuban meeting scene that takes place in the boardroom, it ocurred to me that Michael did come a long way since the early days of his father's way of doing business. I think that FFC wanted to show us this in that very scene. In comparing the meeting in GFI with the meeting in GFII.

While both meetings were very similar, they were much different in the way that business was conducted.

In GFI, we see Don Corleone at the commission meeting, sitting around the big table. And as the camera scans the attendees at the table, we hear that this is "Carmine Cuneo from the Bronx, and Victor Stracci, and Phillip Tattaglia," etc. etc.

All bosses of crime families.

In GFII we see almost the same exact scenerio with the meeting in Cuba. but the difference here is that when the camera scans the attendees at this meeting, we are told that they are " Mr. William Shaw, from the national fruit company, Mr. so and so from United Telephone and telegraph, Mr. Corleone from Nevada, representing our associates in tourism and leisure activities," etc. etc.

All bosses of big Corporations.

Yes, underneath they are still mobsters in their own way, but for outward appearances, Michael is now sitting at a boardroom table with Corporate big shots instead of common Mafia bosses.

So in a sense Michael was doing business in a different way than his fahter did.

I think it was brilliant of FFC to show us a similar type meeting in GFII that represents Michael's climb towards legitimacy.

Btw, that boardroom looks very similar to the boardroom used in GFI. Especially the table itself.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33562
10/09/05 11:50 PM
10/09/05 11:50 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
excellent observation. I never even thought of that and it already is showing how Michael is trying to have the Corleone family become legit. In Part III, he has the family going for a completely legit investment, only to find it becomes a scandal and corruption even exists there.

Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33563
10/10/05 12:08 AM
10/10/05 12:08 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Yet in GF3, we see the same old commision meeting attended by thugs wink

Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33564
10/10/05 04:26 AM
10/10/05 04:26 AM
Israel
Hagit2 Offline
Wiseguy
Hagit2  Offline
Wiseguy
Israel
Remember this: Michael always wanted to be respectable. That scene in FGII he seems as any other businessman planging to invest in Cuba. He is introduce as "our assosiate in leisure and hotel business"(something like that - I don't recall the exact words).
The real quistion is: who was more respectable after all, Vito or Michael? confused
With all my love to Michael, I think his father was more respetable. orange

Behind every great furtune there is a crime - Balzac (The Godfather's Moto).
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33565
10/10/05 07:21 AM
10/10/05 07:21 AM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
svsg
Yet in GF3, we see the same old commision meeting attended by thugs
Yes: and this is Michael's attempt finally to extricate himself from the underworld. And it fits in with the moral of 3, that there is no escape from the mob: no matter how "respectable" you get, they will always pull you back in.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33566
10/10/05 09:45 AM
10/10/05 09:45 AM
AZ
Turnbull Online content
Turnbull  Online Content

AZ
Good observation, DC! smile
I believe this scene refers to a major subtheme of the Trilogy: hypocrisy. Earlier, Michael reacted to Senator Geary's "oily hair/silk suit" speech by saying, "We're all part of the same hypocrisy, Senator..." Now he's sitting with the President of Cuba, in a room full of "respectable" businessmen--all of whom bribe the President for the privilege of exploiting Cuba. They're all peers of two major league gangsters: Roth and Michael, who're there for the same purpose. The businessmen even look like gangsters. (In fact, DC, compare their faces (and cigar smoking) with the faces and cigar smoking of the guys at the table in GF.)
So, this is what it means to be "respectable"? Hypocrisy!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33567
10/10/05 10:11 AM
10/10/05 10:11 AM
Don Chater Offline
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline
Made Member
Michael thought that the higher up in society he went, the more legitement the business would be. Au contraire, as he stated: The higher I go, the crookeder it becomes.

"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33568
10/11/05 09:09 AM
10/11/05 09:09 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nice Point!

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33569
10/11/05 10:26 AM
10/11/05 10:26 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
A parallel to the hypocrisy theme is what Michael says to Kay when he returns from Sicily; "Presidents and Senators don't have men killed? Now who's being naive."

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Commission Meeting in GFI vs. Corporate Meeting in GFII #33570
10/17/05 01:45 AM
10/17/05 01:45 AM
Cristina's Way Offline
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline
Underboss
I was just thinking of the number of parallel scenes there are like that in GF I & II.
  • Both start with a lavish party at which the Don holds court and hears petitions (Connie's wedding in GF I. Anthony's First Communion in GF II).
  • Both have eerie hospital scenes.
  • The major plot impetus of both is an attempt on the Don's life.
  • In both, a powerful figure is forced to capitulate to the Corleone's will through violent persuasion (Jack Woltz in GF I has his change of heart after waking up to a bloody horse's head. Likewise for Senator Geary in GF II, only he wakes up to a bloody prostitute.)
  • In both movies, a trusted individual is revealed to be a traitor (Tessio in GF I. Fredo in GF II)
  • Also, each movie features a main antagonist who is revealed to be the mastermind plotting the Don's downfall (Barzini in GF I. Roth in GF II)
  • Both films climax with a series of deliberate killings (Carlo, Tessio, Moe Green, and the heads of the other families in GF I. Fredo, Roth, Pentangeli, and maybe Rocco [but that's another theory altogether] in GF II)

But I totally missed the parallel boardroom scenes, not to mention the contrasts between them and how they tie in with the film's theme.

Here I'm using the "lazy person's" method -- just listing the parallelisms I noticed without any attempt to analyze or contrast them. Not as interesting as the observations members have posted about the boardroom, but at least it's a tad less long-winded than my usual posts. wink

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull