GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ben54), 64 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Part II Confusion #33495
10/08/05 01:03 PM
10/08/05 01:03 PM
Little Chicago
Tony Love Offline OP
Underboss
Tony Love  Offline OP
Underboss
Little Chicago
Have a few questions about part II. I want to get them straight, especially with this whole Pentangeli business.

So a few of the key players in this episode include: Michael, Frankie, and Hyman. So Frank doesn't like Hyman Roth. Michael is doing business with Roth as he spreads the Corleone empire to the west coast.

Michael assures Roth that everything is fine between them, and basically Pentangeli will be rubbed out. This isn't true. Roth's men make an attempt on Frankie's life, but make it look like Michael did it. Thus Frankie doesn't trust Michael and starts lashing out against the family, and that's where the hearings come into place.

Have I got this right? Is it totally skooed? Part II is probably the one I have most trouble understanding. Feel free to add some parts I may have left out.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin
Re: Part II Confusion #33496
10/08/05 01:41 PM
10/08/05 01:41 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
You have a clear understanding of the events and who the main players were in Godfather Part II. I personally find Godftaher part III a lot more confusing than any of the previous films. I can't think of anything else you forgot. Maybe Fredo almost managed to have his brother Michael to be whacked.

Re: Part II Confusion #33497
10/08/05 02:20 PM
10/08/05 02:20 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Keep in mind Love that as you continue to watch repeats of GFII even more questions and potential confusion wil abound. It can be hard to keep track of. yes, GFIII is even more confusing especially if you are not up on the reallife events its tries to portray.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Part II Confusion #33498
10/08/05 03:19 PM
10/08/05 03:19 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Roth's men make an attempt on Frankie's life, but make it look like Michael did it.
Spot on. But what are we to make of the fact that the only line that supports this - "Michael Corleone says hello" - is supposedly ad-libbed. Did FFC really hinge the entire plot of the 2nd part of the film on an extempore utterance?

Dunno what the answer is to the whole overly-complicated Roth/Pantangelli element of 2. All I know is that the bits with De Niro - the rise to power - is much much better than the Roth intreague. Only the immense comic presence of Frank Pentangell saves the "Roth" part of the film.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Part II Confusion #33499
10/12/05 05:02 PM
10/12/05 05:02 PM
Don Chater Offline
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by Tony Love:
Have a few questions about part II. I want to get them straight, especially with this whole Pentangeli business.

So a few of the key players in this episode include: Michael, Frankie, and Hyman. So Frank doesn't like Hyman Roth. Michael is doing business with Roth as he spreads the Corleone empire to the west coast.

Michael assures Roth that everything is fine between them, and basically Pentangeli will be rubbed out. This isn't true. Roth's men make an attempt on Frankie's life, but make it look like Michael did it. Thus Frankie doesn't trust Michael and starts lashing out against the family, and that's where the hearings come into place.

Have I got this right? Is it totally skooed? Part II is probably the one I have most trouble understanding. Feel free to add some parts I may have left out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, since it has been quite a while since I've watched the movies, but I do believe that Michael goes to see Roth -- the baseball game scene in Roth's house(?) -- after the hit on Mike. Roth commented on the hit and Michael told him who he thought it was (Pentageli). This was to see Roth's reaction to the news, because I'm quite sure that Michael had an idea that it were a possibility that it was Roth trying to be rid of him, his reaction would solidify Michael's beliefs. I believe that that scene -- that meeting's sole purpose was to prove whether Roth really was the one who tried to kill him in his bedroom.

He through in Pentangeli in there to just see his reaction.

Just my 2 cents.

"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Re: Part II Confusion #33500
10/12/05 08:34 PM
10/12/05 08:34 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
Originally posted by Don Chater:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Love:
[qbCorrect me if I'm wrong, since it has been quite a while since I've watched the movies, but I do believe that Michael goes to see Roth -- the baseball game scene in Roth's house(?) -- after the hit on Mike. Roth commented on the hit and Michael told him who he thought it was (Pentageli). This was to see Roth's reaction to the news, because I'm quite sure that Michael had an idea that it were a possibility that it was Roth trying to be rid of him, his reaction would solidify Michael's beliefs. I believe that that scene -- that meeting's sole purpose was to prove whether Roth really was the one who tried to kill him in his bedroom.

Just my 2 cents.
Your right, you remembered exactly what took place, and provided nice insight into the discussion.

Re: Part II Confusion #33501
10/13/05 07:48 AM
10/13/05 07:48 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I believe that that scene -- that meeting's sole purpose was to prove whether Roth really was the one who tried to kill him in his bedroom.

Just my 2 cents.
Don C., I humbly disagree on the "sole purpose". Michael already had plans to go to Miami when the attempted hit took place. Remember his conversation with Tom, "My plans are already made." Then during the Roth-in-his-house meeting Michael tells Roth that nothing must come between their plans (for the Havanna deals.)...."then Pentangeli is a dead man." To find out if Roth was behind it was an add-on for his trip.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Part II Confusion #33502
10/13/05 11:05 AM
10/13/05 11:05 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Love:
[qb] Michael goes to see Roth -- the baseball game scene in Roth's house(?) -- after the hit on Mike. .
Not trying to be picky here, but actually Roth is watching a college football game, and I think it is Notre Dame against USC. In real life Myer Lansky, the character on whom Roth is largely based was an avid football fan who gambled heavily (and usually won) on college football games.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Part II Confusion #33503
10/13/05 06:27 PM
10/13/05 06:27 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Tony Love, you got it. Hyman Roth never wanted Pentangeli killed because he needed him alive to betray Michael after saying "Michael says hello".

It`s true Michael told Roth he believed Pentangeli had attemped to kill him to see Roth`s reaction. After that, Roth had the idea to send "Michael`s word" to Pentangeli through the Rosato Brothers thinking Michael was willing to kill him(Remember when they say "then Pentangeli is a dead man")

After that, in Cuba, Michael asked Roth who ordered to kill Pentangeli, and he told him he didn`t, that`s when Roth knew he was discovered by Michael.Then Roth told Michael he would never ever ask about nothing, because he had a friend called Moe Green and when he was killed he never asked, Roth said sarcasticly.

Yes, GF2 like Gf1 and 3 is very hard to understand, you have to watch the 3 movies more than once to see new details.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Part II Confusion #33504
10/13/05 07:34 PM
10/13/05 07:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
But, Don Pappo, keep in mind that most Board members are of the opinion that the only reason Pentangeli wasn't killed was that the cop interrupted the killing. So, it doesn't appear likely that Roth was trying to conince Pentangeli of anything.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Part II Confusion #33505
10/13/05 09:09 PM
10/13/05 09:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
If the cop doesn't walk in, and Frankie is killed, then how does the death of Frankie benefit Roth and give him an advantage over Michael? If Frankie dies, then Roth's whole set up with the senate hearings goes out the window. If Frankie dies, how then does Roth play Michael?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Part II Confusion #33506
10/13/05 10:55 PM
10/13/05 10:55 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
Frankie's crew would then want to go to war with Michael, as they would feel loyal to Frankie. Michael would be busy waging war, and also some said Frankie was going to be kidnapped only, and they knew he would turn traitor to the corleone family to rat on them to the government.

Re: Part II Confusion #33507
10/13/05 11:16 PM
10/13/05 11:16 PM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
All I know is that the bits with De Niro - the rise to power - is much much better than the Roth intreague. Only the immense comic presence of Frank Pentangell saves the "Roth" part of the film.
I have to drastically disagree with this. We're all entitled to our opinion but I personally enjoy Michael's storyline in Pt II much more then I enjoy Vito's. I don't see how you could say that Michael V. Gazzo's performance as Frank Pentangali, however good it might be, saves that part of the film.

And to address the question of why the Rosato's try to frame Michael for Frankie's hit even though he's going to be dead, I'm gonna repost Turnbull's theory here.

Originally Posted by Turnbull:
The line was ad-libbed, but FFC let it remain in the final cut. Why? My oft-repeated opinion is that “Michael Corleone says hello” was intended not for Frankie—but for Richie, the bartender, whose ginmill was being used to set up Frankie.

It’s obvious that Richie is a “civilian,” not a Made Man, and he’s nervous as hell about his bar being used for a murder (“Carmine, NO, not HERE!” he screams at Tony’s brother (played by Carmine Caridi) after the cop enters and Carmine draws his gun).

The Rosatos know that Richie might be squeezed by the cops investigating Frankie’s murder. Richie would be too fearful of the Rosatos to identify them as the killers. Still, as a civilian, Richie is not bound by the code of omerta.

So they hand Richie something he can give the cops so that Richie can get off the hook: “The murderers said, ‘Michael Corleone says hello.’ ” That line would set the police after Michael, and would be picked up by the press-- another nail into the coffin of Michael Corleone’s “legitimacy.”

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Part II Confusion #33508
10/14/05 06:20 AM
10/14/05 06:20 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Ok, all well and good. But that still does not explain what Roth's play would have been in regards to burying Michael. By Frankie living and at first turning rat, the scenerio played out right into Roth's hands, having Frankie as a witness and Roth's senator on the hearing committee. If Frankie dies, that whole senate thing doesn't happen. So how then, does Roth get Michael?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Part II Confusion #33509
10/14/05 08:43 AM
10/14/05 08:43 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Remember Tom saying to Michael "Roth played this one beautifully."

The question is, was the "beauty" Roth's plan to leave Pentangelli alive thinking that Michael betrayed him, or was the "beauty" in Roth's alteration of his original plan, when the Pentangelli killing was accidently interrupted and Frankie was left alive?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Part II Confusion #33510
10/14/05 09:06 AM
10/14/05 09:06 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by plawrence:
Remember Tom saying to Michael "Roth played this one beautifully."

The question is, was the "beauty" Roth's plan to leave Pentangelli alive thinking that Michael betrayed him, or was the "beauty" in Roth's alteration of his original plan, when the Pentangelli killing was accidently interrupted and Frankie was left alive?
And that's my point. The is no question that Roth play the hand that was dealt to him being that Frankie didn't die and had at first turned on Michael.. But the question is what was his plan had he been successful in having Frankie killed?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Part II Confusion #33511
10/14/05 10:12 AM
10/14/05 10:12 AM
Maryland
Harry Offline
Made Member
Harry  Offline
Made Member
Maryland
But what are we to make of the fact that the only line that supports this - "Michael Corleone says hello" - is supposedly ad-libbed.
NOT TRUE, it's not the only line that supports it.

MICHAEL
Alive -- PENTANGELI is alive. How'd they get their hands on him?
TOM
ROTH. He engineered it MICHAEL. Frankie went to make a deal with the Rosato Brothers -- and they tried to kill him. Our people with the New York detectives said he was half dead, scared stiff, and calling out loud that you'd turned on him. They'd already had him on possession, bookmaking, murder 1, and a lot more

"I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a business man. Blood is a big expense".
Re: Part II Confusion #33512
10/14/05 10:45 AM
10/14/05 10:45 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally posted by olivant:
But, Don Pappo, keep in mind that most Board members are of the opinion that the only reason Pentangeli wasn't killed was that the cop interrupted the killing. So, it doesn't appear likely that Roth was trying to conince Pentangeli of anything.
With Frank Pentangeli dead, nothing makes sense for Roth. Even if the cop hadn`t come in, Roth never wanted to kill him, he needed alive, the Rosato Brothers would have acted like they failed to kill him and somehow Frank survived. To make matters much better for Roth the cop was a very helpful tool to Roth`s plan. The cop helped without realizing to avoid suspictions against Roth and Frank would blame Michael.
Once again olivant, Frank Pentangeli being dead is not a big deal.

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Part II Confusion #33513
10/14/05 10:50 AM
10/14/05 10:50 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Don Pappo Napolitano:
Once again olivant, Frank Pentangeli being dead is not a big deal.
I totally disagree. I believe that Roth sent the Rosatto brothers to KILL Frankie, not almost kill him, but to kill him. When it turned out that Pentangeli was still alive, and talking his head off, THEN Roth took the hand that he was dealt and played it beautifully.

But again, the question is, what was Roth's plan to get to Michael if the Rosatto brothers were successful in killing Pentangeli?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Part II Confusion #33514
10/14/05 11:15 AM
10/14/05 11:15 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]... the question is, what was Roth's plan to get to Michael if the Rosatto brothers were successful in killing Pentangeli?...
And also...what was Roth's motivation to want Pentangelli killed once the hit on Michael had failed and Michael had already TOLD Roth that Pentangelli was a dead man; meaning that Michael would take care of killing Frankie since Michael led Roth to believe he thought it was Frankie who tried to have him (Michael) killed.

So why would Roth go ahead and order Frankie's murder? What would he have to gain by it?

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull