GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, 1 invisible), 383 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,069
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,493
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eeriest Scene #33426
10/05/05 08:30 PM
10/05/05 08:30 PM
Cristina's Way Offline OP
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline OP
Underboss
What do you consider the eeriest scene from the Godfather Trilogy? You can pick a scene (or scenes) from each of the three films if you prefer, or pick a scene (or scenes) from the Trilogy as a whole.

As a guide, here's a partial definition of "eerie" from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
"so mysterious, strange, or unexpected as to send a chill up the spine (eg., a coyote's eerie howl; the similarities were eerie)"
I would add to that:
"giving a sense of foreboding, as if something bad or frightening is about to happen; fearfully strange; spooky; haunting"

Re: Eeriest Scene #33427
10/05/05 08:37 PM
10/05/05 08:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, now, there's an interesting and unique thread that hasn't been posted before. Congrats, Cristina! smile
Music has an effect on creating an eerie scene. I'll offer an off-the-wall example:
In GFII, I think the scene where Michael and his bodyguard (in their car--a red-and-black 1958 Ford Custom 300) are following Johnny Ola (in his or Roth's car--a 1958 Chrysler New Yorker) to Roth's home in Miami, is a legitimately eerie scene. Michael and Kay have narrowly escaped with their lives after the Tahoe shooting. Michael is surrounded by people he can't trust (except for Tom). He's in the hands of some bodyguard we've never seen before (and who looks very menacing). And now, in that scene, he's driving slowly through seemingly alien territory, being directed by the right-hand-man of the guy who we are about to discover directed the hit. Hair-raising enough. But that ominous music is what makes the scene so eerie.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Eeriest Scene #33428
10/05/05 08:49 PM
10/05/05 08:49 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Yes, to echo Turnbull's compliment to you, great question and an original one at that!

When I read your question, the scene that immedeatly came to my mind was the scene where Johnny Ola is standing out on the terrace with his back to the doors of the room, the music is playing in the background, and the drapes are blowing in the wind and we see the two hands reach out and garrot Johnny Ola. The blowing drapes and the music playing are what make that an eerie scene for me. orange

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Eeriest Scene #33429
10/05/05 09:09 PM
10/05/05 09:09 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
The scene that sends chills up my spine is Michael's eyes after Kay tells him that she had an abortion.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Eeriest Scene #33430
10/05/05 11:22 PM
10/05/05 11:22 PM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
My choice would be when Luca dons the body armor while Christmas music plays and then walks down that long beautiful hall with every sound echoing and pausing at the door of the bar where he will meet his end.

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Eeriest Scene #33431
10/06/05 12:16 AM
10/06/05 12:16 AM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
I found Fredo being killed on the fishing boat to be eerie. The music and I found it to be unexpected upon first time viewing it. I couldn't believe that it actually took place, as I was expecting for the hit to be called off in the nick of time or something.

Re: Eeriest Scene #33432
10/06/05 04:19 AM
10/06/05 04:19 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Hospital scene.

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Eeriest Scene #33433
10/06/05 06:38 AM
10/06/05 06:38 AM
The Bright Side Of The Road
S
Senza Mama Offline
Underboss
Senza Mama  Offline
S
Underboss
The Bright Side Of The Road
For me there's always been something about the scene between Michael and his mother in GF2 when he asks about how his father really felt and the look on Michael's face when she says "But you cannot lose your family"

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"
Re: Eeriest Scene #33434
10/06/05 07:42 AM
10/06/05 07:42 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The end of GF2, with the leaves blowing across the lawn, and then we see Michael alone.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Eeriest Scene #33435
10/06/05 08:33 AM
10/06/05 08:33 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I'll go with Turnbull on this one too. Eerie is the perfect description for the mood in Florida set by the music. Leading up to that scene is Michael telling Tom that his plans have been made and unless he is very wrong, someone close to him is the traitor. oooooooooooooo. So where is Johnny taking Michael and yeah who is that guy in the back seat?

The flash back in GF2 to Pop's birthday has a little eerie quality in light of what had gone on in Michael's life.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Eeriest Scene #33436
10/06/05 09:09 AM
10/06/05 09:09 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
All great examples, but I'll go with a not as major scene. Am I the only one who thinks the "Superman" scene has an eerie atmosphere to it? tongue Ha ha..I mean the music was weird and it seemed kind of creepy no??? At first viewing I wasn't sure what the "entertainment" was all about. tongue

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Eeriest Scene #33437
10/06/05 09:40 AM
10/06/05 09:40 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

One scene that comes to mind is,where Luca Brasi is making is way to meet sollozo in the bar,in the scene that he gets murdered smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Eeriest Scene #33438
10/06/05 11:32 AM
10/06/05 11:32 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Am I the only one who thinks the "Superman" scene has an eerie atmosphere to it? tongue Ha ha..I mean the music was weird and it seemed kind of creepy no??? tongue

TIS
Eerie in a sleazy kind of way. But that music is common for that kind of place. Several of the ones I go to play similar music and when the ..............nevermind. tongue lol

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Eeriest Scene #33439
10/06/05 05:27 PM
10/06/05 05:27 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Turnbull and Don Cardi, you mean it? I really came up with an original topic? I'm so proud of myself. smile "Original thinking" is not an attribute usually associated with me. (Heck, there are times when "thinking" isn't even associated with me. cool )

Before I start getting too smug, I'll contribute mine:

Godfather I - the deserted hospital, after Vito's bed has been moved. We hear the amplified echo of footsteps coming up the stairs (and there lots of steps, which draws out the segment even more). Michael is tensely watching behind a door, barely showing his face. The first time I saw this, I held my breath the whole time. didn't know who the heck was coming up those stairs; and it wasn't until Enzo identified himself that I could exhale.

Godfather I - My second choice is everything else about the hospital scene. Not only was the hospital devoid of people, which is strange enough, but the scene also suggested that it had been abruptly abandoned, as if workers were so frightened they fled their posts in mid-activity: witness the partially eaten sandwich, the messy paperwork, the skipped record playing the word "tonight" over and over again. It was like The Twilight Zone. Then FFC channels Hitchcock with a shadowy, overhead shot of Michael running down the empty hallway in a panic to reach his father's room. THEN he's still not finished toying with us: the lone nurse abruptly breaks the silence. (And wasn't she scary -- all white and starched like an avenging angel, or a ghost.) And then there's that tense scene outside with Enzo, and we see Enzo's shaking hands. That's one scary hospital.

Godfather I - What can I say about the baptism scene? The organ accompaniment, the voiceover intoned in Latin, the dimness of the church all spell foreboding. We just know that the end is near for some blissfully unaware people. That eerie organ music nails it. The cross-cutting between scenes of sacredness and evil give the proceedings a sense of cosmic ritual. Brilliantly conceived and executed from start to finish.

Godfather I - The dinner with Sollozzo and McCluskey. Here the tension from anticipation, the relative emptiness of the restaurant, and selective sounds make the scene spooky. FFC almost employs an "echo" effect to ordinarily quiet sounds to emphasize a "pin-drop" atmosphere: the ch*nk of cutlery, the softly spoken dialogue, the tap of shoes on tile... By the time we hear the rumbling of the train, FFC has built it up to a crescendo. We know what Michael plans to do, but will he do it? Until the moment he pulls his gun out, we question our own senses. Are we hearing a train outside? Or is what we're hearing the pounding of blood in Michael's temples?

... and I haven't even started on Godfather II yet. I'll save it for my next post...

Re: Eeriest Scene #33440
10/06/05 06:34 PM
10/06/05 06:34 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Lots of eerie stuff in GF II also.

GF II - The kiss of death Michael gave Fredo in the Havana ballroom on New Year's Eve. Oh, that sent a chill up my spine. For a second I thought Michael was going to strangle him right there. And maybe Fredo thought so too; his facial expression shows believable fear, and look at how he struggles to pull Michael's hands from around his neck.

GF II - The death of Fredo: the twilight in the sky, the sombre music, the intoning of the Hail Mary and its abrupt cessation by the gun shot. The unsettling finality is cemented by the great shots of the boat silhouetted against the water. At first, we see the profile of two passengers. After the gun shots, we see only one, as Neri stands up in the boat. The effect is much more eerie and disturbing than it would have been had the scene shown the actual act carried out in all its bloody detail.

GF II - The scene where Kay visits the children, and Michael walks in while she is trying to get one last kiss from Anthony. Michael slowly walks toward her and you can see the supressed rage and coldness in his eyes. Kay is frozen on the spot -- and so was I the first time I saw this scene. When the two of them matched stares at the door, I thought Michael was going to hit her again, and this time really hurt her. When he ended up shutting the door in her face, it almost felt like an assault nonetheless. The impact was much greater this way than it would have been had Michael run into the room in a rage. At least rage would have been a human emotion. The eerie part is that we can see Michael practically turning into an heartless automaton -- a monster.

Re: Eeriest Scene #33441
10/10/05 12:12 AM
10/10/05 12:12 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I got reminded of this after seeing another thread. The scene where michael returns to his Tahoe house from Cuba and Kay is on her sewing machine. Michael silently observes kay and the toy in the snow etc. This scene is followed by michael asking his mother whether he can lose his family. It was quite eerie.

Re: Eeriest Scene #33442
10/10/05 04:11 AM
10/10/05 04:11 AM
Israel
Hagit2 Offline
Wiseguy
Hagit2  Offline
Wiseguy
Israel
I won't be original here but the scene that Fredo is murdered is the eeriest scene for me. Every time I watch GFII it stays with me... probeblly because I consider it Michael worst crime. eek eek eek eek eek frown

Behind every great furtune there is a crime - Balzac (The Godfather's Moto).
Re: Eeriest Scene #33443
10/16/05 06:33 PM
10/16/05 06:33 PM
Underboss
Underboss
And I forgot to mention one other scene from Godfather I. It's known for its shock value, but in my opinion it started out quite eerily. It's the scene where Jack Woltz wakes to find the horse's head in his bed.

I felt a sense of foreboding from the start of that scene because of two elements: (1) the camera lingering over Woltz's estate, capturing the crystalline stillness of dawn, and (2) the music playing over the proceedings: one of the Godfather themes began playing soberly and slowly; but by the time we're in Woltz's bedroom, it's risen to a higher-pitched, almost hysterical waltz. It perfectly parallels Woltz's mounting horror.

Before I sat down to watch the film, I had heard so much about that scene and remembered it from the book. I have to hand it to Coppola that, even though I knew it was coming, he still had me biting my nails from the sheer anticipation of how he would interpret and present it.

Re: Eeriest Scene #33444
10/16/05 06:55 PM
10/16/05 06:55 PM
Don Chater Offline
Made Member
Don Chater  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by Mignon:
The scene that sends chills up my spine is Michael's eyes after Kay tells him that she had an abortion.
That was awsome. And his jaw begins to shake...awsome

"If anything in this life is certain; If history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone."
Re: Eeriest Scene #33445
10/16/05 07:08 PM
10/16/05 07:08 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
The eeriest scene was the one where Vincent and Mary are rolling doughballs and then kiss. frown

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull