GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Turnbull, m2w), 248 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,507
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? #543832
06/07/09 07:04 PM
06/07/09 07:04 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
I just watched this episode again where Tony gives Christopher the opportunity to take the life of the man who allegedly whacked his father, Dickie Moltisanti.
But did anyone else think this scene was a bit strange and that maybe he wasn't really the guy who killed Dickie Moltisanti?

The guy says it wasn't him (which he is bound to say anyway) but when he says that, Christopher replies by saying "It wouldn't matter anyway, he wants you dead". Which seems like there is an element of doubt in Christophers voice about it too.

What do you guys think?

I like at the end where Chris puts the 20 dollar bill he lifted from the guys wallet and puts it on his mothers fridge.

"Just when I thought I was out.. They pull me back in"
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: veneratio] #543833
06/07/09 07:13 PM
06/07/09 07:13 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: veneratio
But did anyone else think this scene was a bit strange and that maybe he wasn't really the guy who killed Dickie Moltisanti?

No, it never crossed my mind. The cop was retiring and was no longer of any value to Tony Soprano.... it was a fitting end, reminiscent of "The Godfather" (revenge is a dish best served cold).

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: SC] #543840
06/07/09 07:34 PM
06/07/09 07:34 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
Oh okay, I don't know what made me think that.
It just seemed like there was a bit of doubt to me or there was something a little fishy about it but you have a good point SC, he's a retired cop and there was never any mention of him not being the killer etc. And there was never any other reasoning in the episode for him to get whacked.

Side topic, is 'wetting a guy' the same as whacking a guy?

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: veneratio] #543847
06/07/09 08:19 PM
06/07/09 08:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: veneratio
Side topic, is 'wetting a guy' the same as whacking a guy?

I'm not sure of the context that the term was used. It seems that it may be a phrase to mean that you made someone wet his pants (by scaring him).

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: SC] #544320
06/10/09 04:21 AM
06/10/09 04:21 AM
In a van down by the river!
Longneck Offline
Longneck  Offline

In a van down by the river!
"Wet work"

so yeah.

And I wasn't entirely convinced he really killed Dickie either, Tony likely just wanted the guy whacked and made Chris think Tony was doing him a favor by giving him the job.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: Longneck] #544446
06/10/09 07:56 PM
06/10/09 07:56 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
veneratio Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
veneratio  Offline OP
Sicilian Paisan
Capo
Wellington, New Zealand
Ahhh I assume "Wet Work" means... The blood that comes with it?
I don't know, purely assuming but it's good to know I'm not crazy and didn't make that term up in my head.

Interesting that you think that too Longneck, because that's how it felt to me also, like Tony was just using that story to get Chris to do the work on this guy. Two birds with one stone:
1) The guy gets whacked.
2) It brought a wayward Christopher closer to him again by having him believe Tony gave him the chance to avenge his father.

Of course the guy could have really been the killer, but just interesting and good to know I wasn't the only one who thought there was maybe something fishy around that hit.

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: veneratio] #544520
06/11/09 07:46 AM
06/11/09 07:46 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
"All Debts Public and Private" is a strange episode in general, especially when you view it for the first time. It marks a change in tone and pace for the show: more methodic, and a lot darker. This is when Chase starts fully to integrate the "each episode's a mini movie" approach - characters come and go (Artie, for instance, has an entire episode dedicated to him, it seems, then disappears for a few more), and the episodic narrative is more defined and disparate.

Also, information is given to us with no warning or exposition. An example of this is the one you've noted, Veneratio: Barry Haydu, Dickie Moltisanti's "killer". Like many other similar instances, there's no real telling as to whether or not it's true: just clues here and there, for and against, but ultimately unsolved.

I'd say Barry Haydu was not Chris's father's killer. The job is sloppily organised and swiftly done, and it seems too convenient to go through with it so soon after the guy's retirement. Chris's own doubt is confirmed in the whacking scene, and it's there for a reason: it draws our own attention to the sheer wishy-washiness of it all.

Saying that, there's no more rationale in my theory than there would be in one that opposes it.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #544577
06/11/09 04:49 PM
06/11/09 04:49 PM
T
Tyler_Durden Offline
Made Member
Tyler_Durden  Offline
T
Made Member
I don't think Chris didn't buy into what Tony said to him.If he was suspicious he would have eventually said it in one of his arguments with Tony(the one in S5 for example).

Also,on some other episode in S4 he was arguing with Adriana over something related to Tony(can't remember what) and he defends Tony by bringing up this(not directly)
I'm paraphrasing:

"You don't know what this guy did for me...Not getting made,something else.It was ruining my whole life and he made it right).

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: Tyler_Durden] #551586
08/10/09 06:11 PM
08/10/09 06:11 PM
dc
Don Dallal Offline
De Facto Boss
Don Dallal  Offline
De Facto Boss
Made Member
dc
realy nice topic ,,
but for me it have never crossed my mind that this guy wasnt the real killer , i think the timing was right and the gesture was great ,, one of the Sopranos greatest episodes..

Chris: DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE SENATE TO YOU ( T ) ???!!!
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: Don Dallal] #552577
08/23/09 06:59 AM
08/23/09 06:59 AM
United Kingdom
G
gottamoveon Offline
Wiseguy
gottamoveon  Offline
G
Wiseguy
United Kingdom
It had crossed my mind to be honest. Tonys trying to gain Christopers trust back. And when Chris says it wouldn't matter anyway i get the feeling even his thinking i can't go back to Tony and say I think your lying. He'd already told Tony that he's love for him was under question for the way he handled the jackie jr thing. So they are both at the crossroads of making piece. If he lied it wouldn't be shocking just as it isn't to the character Christopher.

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: gottamoveon] #552578
08/23/09 07:03 AM
08/23/09 07:03 AM
United Kingdom
G
gottamoveon Offline
Wiseguy
gottamoveon  Offline
G
Wiseguy
United Kingdom
I think Christopher had just the slightest contempt for his dad, so the killing again did not matter as much as Tony thought. I swear there is a scene where they are cooking at a barbeque and Christopher rips into his father saying he was nothing but a junkie. This scene I believe was more about Tony and Christopher making up. Thats the brilliance of The Sopranos.

Last edited by gottamoveon; 08/23/09 07:04 AM.
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: gottamoveon] #552580
08/23/09 07:33 AM
08/23/09 07:33 AM
United Kingdom
G
gottamoveon Offline
Wiseguy
gottamoveon  Offline
G
Wiseguy
United Kingdom
When you think about it, its this very thing that made Sopranos like an open ended book, rather than a linear (Told about every little detail) tv programme. Barry Haydu is just as much a prop to the show as pie-o-my or a chair around the soprano family table. Does it really matter whether Ralphie killed the horse?? Or was it a bigger issue that Tony still had a grudge against Ralph for smashing that poor girls head in. What im saying is the horse (being the prop) allowed Tony an oppertunity to get rid of Ralph. Just as the chair allows him to sit and eat his meal. Didn't matter if he was telling the truth or not!

Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: veneratio] #655825
07/17/12 04:48 PM
07/17/12 04:48 PM
D
dooop Offline
Associate
dooop  Offline
D
Associate
I recall having this feeling when I first watched the series but after rewatching every episode I felt it even more. Just something in the scene made me feel as if Haydu knew he was being set up for something he had not done.

Did anyone else notice in the background noise that after Chris killed Haydu that on the TV the detective calls himself 'Special investigator Finnerty'?

Finnerty like in Tony's dream when he was in the coma after being shot.

Sorry for bumping the old thread but had to put this somewhere.

Last edited by dooop; 07/17/12 05:34 PM.
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: veneratio] #655833
07/17/12 05:18 PM
07/17/12 05:18 PM
ukwiseguy Offline
Made Member
ukwiseguy  Offline
Made Member
I actually thought the same thing when i first watched that episode.

But it seems Chrissy did believe he was his fathers killer because in future episodes he says to Ade how grateful he was.

I have my doubts also, id have thought there would have been some retributions earlier but they might have been waiting until he retired to not draw the heat on them with Barry being a cop.

Last edited by ukwiseguy; 07/17/12 05:19 PM.

Underworld UK

"The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled, Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist"
Re: Dickie Moltisanti's killer "Barry Haydu"? [Re: ukwiseguy] #655879
07/18/12 03:49 AM
07/18/12 03:49 AM
Scotland UK
gemini_killer Offline
Capo
gemini_killer  Offline
Capo
Scotland UK
I thought the same thing... chrisy was like "You got a real hard-on for me i'll tell you that", and takes him to the cops house - and gets chris to hit the cop - I think Tony is testing Chris to see if he will still kill on command - and really after this Chris believe he owes Tony and their relationship gets slightly better after this ... but if I was tied up and ready to be shot, i'm sure the last thing you would think about doing was lying?, but then again he says "was he a friend of yours", which made me think he did know what he meant and was maybe the gunman... thats why it's shown like this it gets you talking ... like that fucking last episode ..oh I spoke about that for ages.. cursing and cursing it out... then I checked my Dvd player?, but all fine and then I got more pissed off like WTF it can't end like this ... but it did ..and boy I aint fucking happy mad

Last edited by gemini_killer; 07/18/12 03:51 AM.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn. -Frank White

You say your 72, if they come back and tell me to give you a message - and if you want to defy it ... I assure you that you will never reach 73 - Joey "the clown" Lombardo

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull