GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (TheKillingJoke, Toodoped, joepuzzles234, 2 invisible), 55 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,768
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Underrated Moments. #541367
05/20/09 07:06 AM
05/20/09 07:06 AM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline OP
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline OP
The Don
Underboss
London
I think a thread like this is necessary.

Everyone bangs on about ‘Horses Head’, ‘I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse’, ‘Leave the gun, Take the canolli’ etc etc…but for me there are smaller moments that get overlooked.

I’ve gone about the Tessio moment at the end enough in the past, so for my first moment, I want to mention the bit just before Michael heads off to kill Sollozzo and he speaks with his brother and Tom…even though, from what we have seen in the film, Sonny and Mike have a somewhat salty relationship, they rarely agree. Sonny is the elder and likes to demean Mike for his choices in his life, Mike doesn’t like to be patronised by Sonny and has no fear of contradicting him whenever he likes. This all changes when Mike volounteers to kill the pair and he earns Sonny’s respect, all though he didn’t outwardly show it in his ‘nice college boy’ moment…so when the time comes for Mike to leave, knowing that they wont see eachother for years…well, you can see both brothers drop their respective guards and share a deep loving embrace, Michael even kisses his brother and Sonny tells him he’ll get word to Kay when the time is right. The music played during this bit is great and its particularly heartbreaking when you realise that Mike will never see his brother again.

Brilliant from both Caan and Pacino

Last edited by The Hollywood Finochio; 05/20/09 07:06 AM.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541375
05/20/09 08:30 AM
05/20/09 08:30 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Nice catch..that is a great scene...and notice the half hug Tom gets from Michael.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: dontomasso] #541381
05/20/09 08:46 AM
05/20/09 08:46 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Yes. I meant to add that...it's not as warm as the one Sonny gets, but it is sincere...you have to wonder at what point Mike went off Tom

Anyway...the floor is open for more underrated moments people...

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541402
05/20/09 09:51 AM
05/20/09 09:51 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
The two cannoli phrases
"Don't forget the cannoli." and
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
were both added in the studio.
We don't see the actors move their lips.

Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: Danito] #541407
05/20/09 09:54 AM
05/20/09 09:54 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
That's done nothing to damage it's iconic standing in mafia culture.

Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: Danito] #541552
05/21/09 09:11 AM
05/21/09 09:11 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Danito
The two cannoli phrases
"Don't forget the cannoli." and
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
were both added in the studio.
We don't see the actors move their lips.

And let's not forget the iconic scene where Connie pretends to taste the poisoned cannoli intended for Altobello.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: dontomasso] #541573
05/21/09 11:27 AM
05/21/09 11:27 AM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Another moment I love is the Fredo/Michael scene in Havana. Mike delights Fredo by telling he wants to spend time with him, and when they do for a drink, there is a touching closeness between the two, the way Mike smiles at him and tells him that Banana dachari is the same in Spanish...and the hollow realization for Freddie that his brother loves him after all..the way he says 'I was mad at you.....why didn't we spend time like this before'...which unbeknown to Mike was Freddie beating himself up about what he has done. If Fredo admitted what he did then and there, in that environment...it could have been diffeent. Again, its another heartbreaking moment...

Re: Underrated Moments. [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541577
05/21/09 12:20 PM
05/21/09 12:20 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I would describe some of these moments as understated or subtle. The ones that come to mind usually demonstrate the contrast between violence and compassion. Example, Clemenza is instructing Michael how to kill Sol and McClusk and testing the gun. Then he tells Michael how proud they are were of him, being a war hero "you're father too." The tenderness that Clemenza shows is a big contrast to the cold-blooded killer explaining how to kill two men; two shots in the head apiece.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull