GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 94 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,904
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael's Suspicions #33069
09/27/05 03:27 AM
09/27/05 03:27 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline OP
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline OP
Underboss
It becomes clearly evident that Michael suspects Fredo of being the traitor in his family in GFII after he invites him to Cuba. While visiting the city and hanging out with his brother, Fredo makes a few slip ups that reveal his involvement in the plot to kill Mike.

But my question is, what made Mike be suspicious of Fredo in the first place? Maybe its not coincidence that Mike asked Fredo to bring the 2 million to Cuba, maybe he purposely wanted him there to study him and try to figure out how involved he was. But I don't understand what couldve given him this idea in the first place. Maybe its just that trusty old Corleone instinct. tongue

Any ideas?

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33070
09/27/05 05:12 AM
09/27/05 05:12 AM
Sorentino Offline
Button
Sorentino  Offline
Button
I'm not sure if i'm understanding your question properly, but your saying why was michael suspicious of Fredo?
Well he wasn't really, but he knew straight away that Fredo betrayed him at the scene where they were watching a show...Fredo a couple minutes back said "never met ola" and he shook hands with him for the first time, pretending anyway.
When Fredo totally forgot, probably drunk, he said "JOHNNY OLA told me about this place. He brought me here. I didn't believe him -- but seein' is believin', huh?".

That revealed everything, the shooting, the family traitor and such to Michael.

He wasn't suspicious of Fredo before hand. Now he knew for a fact, it was Fredo.

Re: Michael's Suspicions #33071
09/27/05 09:45 AM
09/27/05 09:45 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Think of what Mike said to Tom in the boathouse scene after the assassination attempt.

Mike knew, as he said to Tom in that scene, that the assassins had to be aided by someone "close" and "inside"

He says to Tom

you're the only one I completely trust. FREDO -- ah, he's got a good heart -- but he's week, and he's stupid, and this is life and death

I think at that point he already had a suspicion that it was Fredo.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33072
09/27/05 09:51 AM
09/27/05 09:51 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're right: Although Fredo wasn't Michael's top suspect, he never totally ruled him out. When he told Tom right after the Tahoe shooting, "Right now, you're the only one I can completely trust," he meant that he couldn't completely trust Fredo. And he told Tom, "Fredo? He's got a good heart. But he's weak and stupid, and this is life and death." IMO, when he characterized Fredo as "weak and stupid," he was, in effect, saying, "he's weak and stupid enough to be involved in this," which is what actually happened.
I also agree that part of the reason he had Fredo deliver the money to Cuba was to keep him close and test him. Note the penetrating looks he gives Fredo when Fredo asks if anyone he knows is in Havana and Michael says, "Oh, Hyman Roth, Johnny Ola..." And in the nightclub, when he says to Johnny Ola, "I don't think you know my brother." He was definitely suspicious of Fredo.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33073
09/27/05 08:04 PM
09/27/05 08:04 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Mike's problem wasn't that Fredo was a traitor, but that Fredo was too weak to protect the Family from its enemies.

He first saw this in 1 in the Moe Greene episode; Moe was slapping Fredo around, and Fredo was not standing up for himself. Instead, he stood up for Moe against Mike.

This would have planted the seeds of suspicion in Mike's paranoid mind.

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33074
09/27/05 08:48 PM
09/27/05 08:48 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
LaFamiglia Offline
Made Member
LaFamiglia  Offline
Made Member
Pittsburgh,PA
Hello, I'm Myke and I'm new to Gangster BB. I want to say I agree with "The Dr. who fixed Lucy." Michael was realizing in GF1 that Fredo was weak and couldn't keep the family strong. This helped make Michael a stronger Don to the family. I'm sure it was hard for Michael to confront his brother, but he had to in order to protect his family. Fredo wasn't strong enough to take care of business.

[Linked Image]
Salut' to new friends.

You know, we always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, :You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us.: You understand? We were good fellas.
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33075
09/27/05 08:57 PM
09/27/05 08:57 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
...This would have planted the seeds of suspicion in Mike's paranoid mind.
On the contrary. It's things like 'this' that eventually led to Mike's somewhat justified paranoia. From almost the day he got involved in the Family Business, Michael witnessed and was the victim of betrayal after betrayal. While he must've realized this was part of the game, what Fredo did during the visit with Moe Green must've both surprised and disappointed him. By the time of the Tahoe hits, Mike was quite 'paranoid', but with very good reason.

And though I didn't always feel that way, I now agree that while I'm sure he hoped against hope he'd be proven wrong...he did suspect Fredo as the possible traitor in his Family.

And Fredo WAS a traitor.

Who DID deserve to die on that lake.

Which he didn't know was about to happen.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael's Suspicions #33076
09/27/05 09:19 PM
09/27/05 09:19 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that Michael was suspiscious by nature. He suspected everyone, except Tom. He was testing the waters with Fredo in Cuba, sort of sounding him out, giving him the chance to confirm his suspiscions.

The whole banana dacquiri scene was designed for Michael to feel him out. By spending time with his brother, he was also manipulating him, asking questions, pushing buttons(Just as he did with Tom right before he left. Did you see the look of relief on Tom's face when hearing Michael call him a brother?). But then, as the evening unwinds, and Fredo slips, he realizes that it is truly Fredo, and I think his heart is broken, just as he says.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33077
09/27/05 09:55 PM
09/27/05 09:55 PM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
Michael truly seems shocked and heartbroken when Fredo slips up in Havana...........but he didn't seem to trust anyone except maybe his Mama in GF2 and in fact went out of his way to alienate or dispose of those around him. So I suppose this would make everyone, including Fredo, a suspect.

What if Connie opened the curtains?

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33078
09/28/05 12:30 PM
09/28/05 12:30 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by don illuminati:
...What if Connie opened the curtains?
Highly improbable. She was too busy getting it on with Merle.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael's Suspicions #33079
09/28/05 06:08 PM
09/28/05 06:08 PM
UK
The Dr. who fixed Lucy Offline
Underboss
The Dr. who fixed Lucy  Offline
Underboss
UK
Apple On Ya
On the contrary. It's things like 'this' that eventually led to Mike's somewhat justified paranoia
Not really "on the contrary" to anything... I mentioned Michael's paranoia, I did not say it was irrational or unfounded paranoia. Michael was quite right to be suspicious in the event. Perhaps "justified paranoia" is oxymoronic or at least a poor description of Mike's hunch.

The basic point is that we agree that Fredo's weaknesses re Moe Greene spawn Mike's suspicion - founded or not - of Fredo's robustness and loyalty.

Hello, I'm Myke and I'm new to Gangster BB. I want to say I agree with "The Dr. who fixed Lucy."
Hello Myke and welcome. The phrase "I agree with The Dr who Fixed Lucy" is seldom uttered on these boards, but proof that intelligence is not a function of popularity. grin

Joey ...

BANG BANG

... Saza!
Re: Michael's Suspicions #33080
09/28/05 11:50 PM
09/28/05 11:50 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by The Dr. who fixed Lucy:
...Moe was slapping Fredo around, and Fredo was not standing up for himself. Instead, he stood up for Moe against Mike. This would have planted the seeds of suspicion in Mike's paranoid mind.
The excerpt above indicates you were suggesting that Mike was already paranoid by the time of the Vegas meeting involving Fredo and Moe Green. That's what I was arguing with.

And by the way, nobody said that you said his paranoia was "...irrational or unfounded..."

The acts of many people over the years is what led to Michael's suspicions. Fredo's own behavior was just a link in the chain.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull