GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,148
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,797
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Roth Quote - Explain #33055
09/27/05 02:46 AM
09/27/05 02:46 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline OP
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline OP
Underboss
Hyman Roth states the following right after his birthday party in Cuba:

"Ninety miles away, partnership with a friendly government -- ninety miles. It's nothing. Just one small step, looking for a man that wants to be President of the United States -- and having the cash to make it possible."

This quote always confused me. Who is he talking about? and how does it fit into the context of this conversation?

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33056
09/27/05 02:02 PM
09/27/05 02:02 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Looks like you've stumped the panel with a legitimate question.

You don't see that too often around here. lol

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33057
09/27/05 02:16 PM
09/27/05 02:16 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Great Question Mr. Hagen! I'll have to ponder this one.

Here is the quote in it's entirety :

"If only I could live to see it -- to be there with you. Uh, what I wouldn't give for -- twenty more years. Here we are protected -- free to make our profits without key follow with the goddamn Justice Department and the FBI. Ninety miles away, partnership with a friendly government -- ninety miles. It's nothing. Just one small step, looking for a man that wants to be President of the United States -- and having the cash to make it possible. MICHAEL, we're bigger than U.S. Steel."

My interpretation is that they had now planted their roots in Cuba. Had been able to buy off it's government, had Batista in their pocket. And the next step would be for them to financially back a candidate for U. S. President, one that they could also have "working" for them. One that they could also have in their back pocket.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33058
09/27/05 02:20 PM
09/27/05 02:20 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

My interpretation is that they had now planted their roots in Cuba. Had been able to buy off it's government, had Batista in their pocket. And the next step would be for them to financially back a candidate for U. S. President, one that they could also have "working" for them. One that they could also have in their back pocket.

Don Cardi cool
Ditto, DC. And I thought that President was allegedly Kennedy, except he had other ideas.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33059
09/27/05 02:30 PM
09/27/05 02:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That would be the perfect realization of all their efforts, wouldn't it? To put a man in the White House that they owned in some fashion? They had always had Senators, Judges, etc., but the President! That would be the final step.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33060
09/27/05 02:57 PM
09/27/05 02:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Cardi:
free to make our profits without key follow with the goddamn Justice Department and the FBI.
The word he used was "Kefauver," referring to Senator Estes B. Kefauver, whose subcommittee held televised hearings on organized crime in 1950-51.

Don Cardi cool

Probably that's what Roth wanted Michael to believe. Roth was anxious to get that $2 million from Michael. To reinforce its value to Michaed, he jollied Michael along by implying that buying Batista was a prelude to buying a US Presidential candidate. But since Roth had already decided to have Michael killed, that whole speech was B.S. Roth struck me as too low-profile to have ambitions to "buy" a U.S. President. A corrupt Cuban dictator? Si, A President? No!

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33061
09/27/05 03:45 PM
09/27/05 03:45 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally posted by Turnbull:
.. he jollied Michael along by implying that buying Batista was a prelude to buying a US Presidential candidate. But since Roth had already decided to have Michael killed, that whole speech was B.S. Roth struck me as too low-profile to have ambitions to "buy" a U.S. President. A corrupt Cuban dictator? Si, A President? No!
Throw in that phony sincerity, "We're bigger than U.S. Steel." He was laying it on thick, but Roth was a shrewd opportunist. I think if a genuine Presidential hopeful was emminent Roth might ride out the Corleone transition to see if he could cash in. I think he could play both sides of the fence quite well.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33062
09/27/05 04:36 PM
09/27/05 04:36 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
No question about it TB. Roth was trying to "relax" Michael and put that false thought in Michael's head that he (Michael) would eventually have it all for himself

"If only I could live to see it -- to be there with you. Uh, what I wouldn't give for -- twenty more years.."

Saying this was his way of telling Michael " I'm not doing this for me, I'm an old man, I won't be here that much longer so this will all be yours, I'm doing this for you to live out our dream." rolleyes "Now where the F**K is my 2 million dollars?" lol

I do believe that inserting this dialogue in that scene was FFC's way of implying to the viewer that they were talking about a young senator from Massachusetts. wink

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33063
09/27/05 06:07 PM
09/27/05 06:07 PM
Detroit
TonyD Offline
Underboss
TonyD  Offline
Underboss
Detroit

"If only I could live to see it -- to be there with you. Uh, what I wouldn't give for -- twenty more years. Here we are protected -- free to make our profits without key follow with the goddamn Justice Department and the FBI. Ninety miles away, partnership with a friendly government -- ninety miles. It's nothing. Just one small step, looking for a man that wants to be President of the United States -- and having the cash to make it possible. MICHAEL, we're bigger than U.S. Steel."
I think that while Roth's comments were calculated for effect with Michael; actually, he was also being heartfelt and letting himself dream a bit.

Ninety miles away, partnership with a friendly government (like he says, "It's nothing"). Then, dreaming a bit larger: "looking for a man that wants to be President of the United States and having he cash ..." ; then, as a final comparison, speaking to how powerful their influence is he states "we're bigger than U.S. Steel".

I really think Roth felt that the important point was "having the cash" ... actually secondary to finding "a man that wants to be President ..." (one that could be controlled of course).
Finally, the U.S. Steel reference being the epitome of that(financial) power.

The whistful words of a man feeling his own mortality, and proud of accomplishments he and associates had attained.

"we are bigger than US Steel" ... Hyman Roth and Meyer Lansky
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33064
09/27/05 10:10 PM
09/27/05 10:10 PM
toyland
D
don illuminati Offline
Underboss
don illuminati  Offline
D
Underboss
toyland
The reference was probably to the Kennedys but what if Roth was referring to Michael himself? After all, the Corleone Family was 'completely legitimate'...... lol

Remember in GF1 that Vito and Michael had that discussion about Michael being a senator?

"How's the Italian food in this restaurant?'
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33065
09/28/05 12:19 PM
09/28/05 12:19 PM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I think that Turnbull and Don Cardi watch The GF Trilogy every night! You guys really have these things from the movies down to a science. Great stuff.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33066
09/29/05 09:58 AM
09/29/05 09:58 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I do believe that inserting this dialogue in that scene was FFC's way of implying to the viewer that they were talking about a young senator from Massachusetts. wink

Don Cardi cool
I agree that he was probably making a reference to JFK, especially in the context of all that stuff that came out after the assassination about Sam Giancana and Mafia support. Ironically, Nixon got a lot of money from the Teamsters and supposedly got even more from Nevada gambling interests (Dalitz et al) in the 1960 campaign.

Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33067
09/29/05 09:59 AM
09/29/05 09:59 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Smitty:
I think that Turnbull and Don Cardi watch The GF Trilogy every night! You guys really have these things from the movies down to a science. Great stuff.

DS
Actually, DS, I'm the only one of the two who watches the Trilogy every night. DC is too busy posting. lol

Re: Roth Quote - Explain #33068
10/04/05 02:42 PM
10/04/05 02:42 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I think the comment was a conscious reference to JFK, but if the intent was to relax Mike, it failed because by then Michael had already decided to kill Roth. Michael also did not believe Roth was all that sick.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull