GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 318 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work #533554
03/04/09 08:39 PM
03/04/09 08:39 PM
Dusibello Offline OP
Guinea Hood
Dusibello  Offline OP
Guinea Hood
Associate
Is that Al Neri in the cop uniform at the courthouse where the driver, the bodyguard, and Barzini get hit?

Anyway, wasn't the hit on Barzini sloppy work? Almost unbelievably so?

Barzini gets shot at a distance from behind what, 3 times? Then the killer takes off, apparently assuming Barzini was dead?

Point: A competent and professional dago guinea wop goombah hood would have put a couple of shots in Barzini's head to be sure the work was done properly. Even taking the time to reload if necessary...

For that matter, Sollozzo's button men made the same (inexcusable and inexplicable) mistake when they hit Don Vito...

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Dusibello] #533594
03/05/09 12:20 PM
03/05/09 12:20 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, it's Neri. Yes, it's incredibly sloppy.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: The Last Woltz] #533606
03/05/09 01:42 PM
03/05/09 01:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It's another example of "dramatic license." The Barzini hit was the most important one that day. Yet Neri takes it on armed only with a six-shot .38 Special revolver--and kills three men, Barzini at a considerable distance that would have stretched both accuracy and stopping power of the .38. By contrast, Rocco and a confederate whack Tattaglia and the hooker he was with from a distance of about five feet--using a pair of Madsen submachine guns. tongue

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #533619
03/05/09 04:47 PM
03/05/09 04:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't agree TB. The whole idea of Neri posing as a cop was so he could hit Barzini in the open which was probably the only place they could get to him. Also, that's a realtively close range for a police pistol. Neri was a weapons-trained cop and he took his time to fire the shots. All were in the upper back and would have more than likely penetrated vital organs. Also, we don't know what ammunition he fired, but I'll bet it would have been the most devastating stuff.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: olivant] #533726
03/06/09 02:55 PM
03/06/09 02:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
That's all possible, Olivant. And Neri in his police mufti was the right ploy to get close to Barzini. But putting it all on him and his six shots left no margin for error. A carefully laid-out plan (i.e., not driven by directoral license) would have had backup shooters as pedestrians or in cars, if needed. Even a dunce like Gotti used multiple, identically clad shooters in the Castellano hit--and had himself and Da Bull in reserve in case needed.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #533741
03/06/09 06:58 PM
03/06/09 06:58 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
There are, of course, differences between the final hits in the book and in the movie. In the book, though, several of Barzini's capos switch sides immediately after the hit, which opens the possibility that Barzini had been betrayed. So the tactical hit on Barzini might have been a result of Michael's earlier strategic victory.

Of course, I'm sure that the Corleones would still have wanted Barzini dead for certain, as opposed to alive, wounded, and in police custody.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #535032
03/21/09 04:19 PM
03/21/09 04:19 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
While in reality, it might have been "sloppy" work, I think that, that assassination, was the most "artistic" and enabled FFC to use the stereotypical "Black Cadillac" that was greatly favored by mob guys for many years, with the notable exception of Michael, who preferred Packards and Imperial Ghias.

Last edited by johnny ola; 03/21/09 04:25 PM.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: johnny ola] #535064
03/22/09 12:14 AM
03/22/09 12:14 AM
pgh., pa
Guiseppe Petri Offline
. 45 caliber
Guiseppe Petri  Offline
. 45 caliber
Made Member
pgh., pa
olivant;

i agree, how may times in neri's career do you think he practiced using that gun on and / off duty and in training? back then you didn't have the luxury ( usually so ) to have anything more for police work than a .38 caliber revolver. not like today where you can get pretty much any caliber and magazine capacity you want and in any combination of sizes, finishes, etc.. not only that, but shooting at moving and stationary targets and make those 6 shots count. when neri takes those 3 shots at barzini, the pose he takes as he aims at barzini and steadies his arm for the shot, he's not going to miss. the 3 shots that barzini is hit with are right in the area of (a) the spinal cord, (b) the heart and (c) the lungs. any combination of which would be fatal. you're only talking a distance of what, maybe a 100 - 125 feet, which is nothing for a .38.. he had to use his "duty" .38 to make it appear to be a "rogue duty cop" to divert an investigation in a different direction. if he had used a .45 or anything else, it could have possibley aroused suspicion if any witnesses report anything to responding officers.

neri is good at his job, because he doesn't leave room for mistakes.

Last edited by Guiseppe Petri; 03/23/09 06:45 PM.

Guiseppe Petri
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Guiseppe Petri] #536201
04/02/09 06:22 PM
04/02/09 06:22 PM
willycicci1 Offline
Wiseguy
willycicci1  Offline
Wiseguy
he knew that barzini would'nt be packing,so he could afford to hit him last.he had to do away with the others first who could have stopped him.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: willycicci1] #540885
05/17/09 01:51 PM
05/17/09 01:51 PM
London
The Hollywood Finochio Offline
The Don
The Hollywood Finochio  Offline
The Don
Underboss
London
I have an issue with Barzini's death. First, its very obviously a stunt man that falls down the steps.

And what was that completely unaided walk down the hall all about? Seeing as the Don has been quoted as blaming Barzini for everything, surely the guy would be surrounded by more than one guy and a driver?

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #540903
05/17/09 03:03 PM
05/17/09 03:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio
And what was that completely unaided walk down the hall all about? Seeing as the Don has been quoted as blaming Barzini for everything, surely the guy would be surrounded by more than one guy and a driver?

It was timely and credible. Vito deliberately made himself appear weak at the Don's meeting, and Michael made himself appear weak by not fighting Barzini's incursions on his territories and by agreeing to a meeting. Both of them accomplished what you saw: they fooled Barzini into thinking that the Corleones were finished. He had nothing to fear from them, hence only one bodyguard.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #540910
05/17/09 03:19 PM
05/17/09 03:19 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Why did Vito want to appear week, he really didn't want to break the peace...that was legit.

I don't think Barzini would take a risk like that, he wouldn't be that cocky, quite the contrary, he seems very smart, a worthy adversary to the Don.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please
Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541003
05/17/09 10:50 PM
05/17/09 10:50 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Both Vito and Michael believed in fooling adversaries into believing that they were weaker than they appeared--the better to have them relax their guard. Vito's apparent weakness was in rising from his sick bed to call off the war, and in agreeing to provide police/political protection to the drugs business in the East. But his objective was to strengthen his family by bringing Michael safely back to the US as his successor. Michael pretended not to react to Barzini's incursions into his territories, and to agree to a meeting with Barzini. His objective was to get Barzini and the other Dons to lower their guard by regarding him as a no-account. Both Vito and Michael succeeded.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #541010
05/17/09 11:06 PM
05/17/09 11:06 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
I get what you're saying mate. But Barzini would have read the body language of Mike at the Funeral, not even a nod of thanks for Barzini's attendance, second, surely Barzini would know that Vito would warn him that the man who came to him with a meeting proposal is the traitor. Barzini didn't care about throwing Tessio to the lions...but never would Barzini leave himself open to such an attack in broad daylight.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541032
05/18/09 07:03 AM
05/18/09 07:03 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted By: The Hollywood Finochio
I get what you're saying mate. But Barzini would have read the body language of Mike at the Funeral, not even a nod of thanks for Barzini's attendance, second, surely Barzini would know that Vito would warn him that the man who came to him with a meeting proposal is the traitor. Barzini didn't care about throwing Tessio to the lions...but never would Barzini leave himself open to such an attack in broad daylight.

This bad mood acting was part of the trap. If Michael appeared to be too friendly towards Barzini, Barzini would have smelled a rat.
In the novel we find an interesting part about this irritation, when Clemenza prepares to have Paulie killed.
Quote:
He would be curt with Paulie, as if displeased with him. With a man so sensitive and suspicious as Gatto this would throw him off the track or at least leave him uncertain. Undue friendliness would make him wary. But of course the curtness must not be too angry. It had to be rather an absentminded sort of irritation.

Barzini knew that Michael knew that Barzini chiseled into the Corleone territory. When Michael acted stiffly, it was only natural.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Danito] #541133
05/18/09 07:28 PM
05/18/09 07:28 PM
London
The Don
The Don
Underboss
London
Agreed.

But my point that Mike would guess that Tessio will betray him is still valid. Barzini is old school like Vito. I'm surprised he was killed so easily.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: The Hollywood Finochio] #541866
05/23/09 03:24 AM
05/23/09 03:24 AM
P
Phoenix Offline
Wiseguy
Phoenix  Offline
P
Wiseguy
Agreed, using just a Smith & Wesson Model 10 for the hit on Don Barzini with his two bodyguards would be sloppy. In contrast, in Sonny's death scene, gunmen are emptying their .45 M1928 Thompsons into him yet he gets out of the car and stands on his feet screaming for a while.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Phoenix] #541940
05/23/09 12:29 PM
05/23/09 12:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Phoenix
In contrast, in Sonny's death scene, gunmen are emptying their .45 M1928 Thompsons into him yet he gets out of the car and stands on his feet screaming for a while.

That was FFC paying homage to Arthur Penn in "Bonnie and Clyde." The reality is that the .45ACP fired by the Thompson is the proverbial "big heavy round." The first hit would have knocked him down--probably for good.

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: Turnbull] #542841
05/31/09 11:22 AM
05/31/09 11:22 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Well, sloppy or not he got it done!

Anyway, if the bullets in the back alone hadn't killed Barzini, that tumble down the steps would've finished the job.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The Hit on Barzini: Sloppy Work [Re: AppleOnYa] #542852
05/31/09 12:36 PM
05/31/09 12:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The hit on Sonny with automatic weapons was for dramatic purposes. In the novel, he is murdered with handguns.

Barzini only had one bodyguard if he had any. His driver was waiting in his car. The other guy with him may have been his attorney and was probably unarmed anyway. There was nothing sloppy about the hit. Using a policeman's disguise would have not alerted anyone. Castellano was murdered at drive time in the middle of Manhattan and with pistols. There's been any number of dons murdered over the decades and many if not most in broad daylight and without much difficulty. The range from which Neri shot Barzini given his experience would have made the shots easy.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull