GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (BarrettM), 328 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,830
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Clemenza/Pentangeli #32756
09/18/05 08:27 AM
09/18/05 08:27 AM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
Why wasn't Clemenza in part 2 instead of Frank Pentangeli? I know there was a reason he couldn't/wouldn't do it...

But I thought of this: Could you imagine Clemenza betraying Mikey? Clemenza sitting for the Commission and cooperating with the FBI...I can't!

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32757
09/18/05 09:11 AM
09/18/05 09:11 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
It's been said many many times here before that it was a money thing.

However I think that if Clemenza had agreed to do GFIII, his character would NOT have been the one to betray Mike.
The script probably would have been written a little bit differently. It is possible that a Pentangeli character may still have been in the movie as the traiter, but I don't believe that it would have been Clemenza.

Good question though. Makes one really wonder what would have changed scriptwise had Clemenza been written into GFII.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32758
09/18/05 09:17 AM
09/18/05 09:17 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
From past threads I remember there was a problem with Richard Castellano, the actor who played Clemenza. He wanted more out of GFII than FFC was prepared to give. So the older Clemenza was written out (that was no heart attack) paving the way for Frankie.

And yes, I'm sure there may have been somewhat of a different story had Clemenza been able to stay in the picture. But remember, a main theme of GFII was Michael's growing distrust and hardness due to betrayal coming from just about every direction. So it would've been interesting to see if even Clemenza had remained loyal.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32759
09/18/05 09:48 AM
09/18/05 09:48 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
But remember, a main theme of GFII was Michael's growing distrust and hardness due to betrayal coming from just about every direction. So it would've been interesting to see if even Clemenza had remained loyal.
Apple's right, here. Clemenza would have been the perfect example of the changing times and the "Americanization" of the Corleones. He would have gone against Michael and it would have been terribly sad to see that. For that reason I'm glad Castellano held out (for more money and writer's "authority") and did not appear in Part II. He was my favorite character.

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32760
09/18/05 10:12 AM
09/18/05 10:12 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I would have hated to see that. I loved Clemenza. And maybe because of this feeling, I refuse to think that FFC would have had Clemenza betray Mike.

It's strictly business, and I am taking it personal.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32761
09/18/05 01:23 PM
09/18/05 01:23 PM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I would have hated to see that. I loved Clemenza. And maybe because of this feeling, I refuse to think that FFC would have had Clemenza betray Mike.

It's strictly business, and I am taking it personal.

Don Cardi cool
Haha I could not say it better..

So if people weren't that greedy (the actors or the directors) we still had Richard Castellano and Marlon Brando in The Godfather Part 2. But than we didn't have Robert de Niro, and maybe Micheal Gazzo neither.

Because FFC wanted Marlon Brando also to play the young Vito, am I right?

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32762
09/18/05 03:31 PM
09/18/05 03:31 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Originally posted by juventus:
Because FFC wanted Marlon Brando also to play the young Vito, am I right?
You're not.
But Brando was supposed to appear in the last flashback scene (the one where Michael tells he joined the marine). The scene would then have been totally different, it would've been a conversation between Michael and Vito.
But Brando wouldn't do it, and I do not really regret it. The scene was powerfull like it is now. Bringing Fredo, Carlo, Sonny, and Tessio back (of which three people were going to be killed by Michael, as we know) was already very nice to see.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32763
09/19/05 04:41 PM
09/19/05 04:41 PM
juventus Offline OP
Underboss
juventus  Offline OP
Underboss
I just came on this site:
http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/TopFilms/Godfather/EnglischGodfather2.asp

Look under Trivia, there it's said that marlon brando would have played young vito and clemenza the role of frank pentangeli...

Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32764
09/19/05 05:41 PM
09/19/05 05:41 PM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
I think with Clemenza in GFII they could have really gone in some very interesting and deep plot lines and scenarios....He was so much more of a deeper and more well known character than Frankie, considering he was in teh first movie and frankie was just fabricated....i think how the GFII is, is wonderful and it's hard to imagine it being better, but with a character like Clemenza that is much more well known to the audience and has a history being told in the movie, it could have made for some really interesting scenes.....I don't know what aand how it would be different but I think it would have been even better...

[Linked Image]
Joe Batters

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!
Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32765
09/19/05 06:08 PM
09/19/05 06:08 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
Originally posted by juventus:
[b] Because FFC wanted Marlon Brando also to play the young Vito, am I right?
You're not.
But Brando was supposed to appear in the last flashback scene (the one where Michael tells he joined the marine). The scene would then have been totally different, it would've been a conversation between Michael and Vito.
But Brando wouldn't do it, and I do not really regret it. The scene was powerfull like it is now. Bringing Fredo, Carlo, Sonny, and Tessio back (of which three people were going to be killed by Michael, as we know) was already very nice to see. [/b]
Also, Enzo. We don't actually see the Don. It just adds more mystique to Vito's character.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Clemenza/Pentangeli #32766
09/20/05 08:56 AM
09/20/05 08:56 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Clemenza's loyalty to Mike when Mike and the family appeared to be weak (in GF I when Tessio turned on him) tells me that he would not have betrayed Mike over some squabble with the Rosato brothers. If you remember in GFII Mike tells Frankie that Clemenza promised territories to the Rosatos and that after he died Frankie welched, because, among other things he disapproved of their hiring practices. This shows Clemenza was towing the party line.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull