GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (BarrettM, Mafia101, mustachepete, 1 invisible), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,989
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,357
Posts1,059,135
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael and Don Ciccio? #32734
09/16/05 05:11 PM
09/16/05 05:11 PM
AZ
Rudik Offline OP
Made Member
Rudik  Offline OP
Made Member
AZ
Does any one see similarities between those two charachters. Ciccio is some ruthless Mafia Don that kills Vito's Dad and brother. Even though Vito's mother begs for mercy after her family insults the Don like they did, Ciccio is completely cold in forgiving them. Furthermore, Mike refuses his family's plea to forgive Fredo. At the end of Godfather 2, you see Ciccio very alone in his old age before Vito kills him. Mike as well pulls away from everyone else and is alone. Anyways, is Coppola trying to make this reference between these 2 characters? Subconsciously, does Mike become everything that persecutes his own father?

Leave the gun and take the canoli.
Re: Michael and Don Ciccio? #32735
09/16/05 05:37 PM
09/16/05 05:37 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Good analogy. As you point out they both were cold in thier respective ways. The difference that I see though is that with Ciccio being the powerful Don that he was, had to kill Vito's brother, and had to try and kill Vito, to assure his own saftey. To make sure that no male from the Andolini family would be left to seek revenge on him. What you saw with a person like Don Ciccio is what you got.

With Michael, also being a powerful Don, he did not have to have his own brother killed to assure his own safety. There was never a threat of Fredo seeking revenge on him in the form of death or killing. Fredo had already taken his revenge on Mike, in his own way. Michael had his brother killed to show the others around him that he was not weak. With Michael, what you saw is not what you got with him. He was cunning. He made everyone in his blood family think that he had forgiven Fredo. He even mislead Fredo into thinking that everything was ok. And then he made an example out of Fredo so that anyone serving under him would know that the the penalty for betrayal would be death. He showed that he would kill anyone that even thought of betraying him, even if it was his own brother.

Yes, very similar characteristics as you've pointed out, but many differences also.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Michael and Don Ciccio? #32736
09/16/05 06:33 PM
09/16/05 06:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Very interesting points, Rudik! But I go with Don Cardi, especially when he wrote:
"Michael had his brother killed to show the others around him that he was not weak. With Michael, what you saw is not what you got with him. He was cunning."
Exactly! Don Ciccio, from the little we saw of him, didn't seem cunning at all. Also, he seemed cowardly--when Sra. Andolini held the knife to his throat, he looked good and scared.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael and Don Ciccio? #32737
09/16/05 07:18 PM
09/16/05 07:18 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I think, TB and DC, that Michael eliminated Fredo for another reason as well.

Yes, I would agree that "Michael had his brother killed to show the others around him that he was not weak."

But I believe that he still may have perceived Fredo as a threat.

While Fredo's killing is not part of the novel, there is a scene at the end of the book when Tom goes to New Hampshire to bring Kay and the children back.

Although he is talking about Carlo, Tom is presumably echoing Michael's thoughts when he tells Kay

.....treachery can't be forgiven. Michael could have forgiven it, but people never forgive themselves and so they would always be dangerous

I'm not sure if that statement makes any sense or not, but I believe it reflects Michael's thinking.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Michael and Don Ciccio? #32738
09/16/05 08:07 PM
09/16/05 08:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
That's one of my favorite scenes, PL. When Kay asks Tom why Carlo couldn't be forgiven, Tom replies, "In this world you could." I think it conveys Tom's wistfulness for a different world.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull