GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (joepuzzles234, The_Marble_Guy, m2w), 293 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,331
Posts1,058,790
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights #529196
01/20/09 12:10 PM
01/20/09 12:10 PM
RTintera Offline OP
Wiseguy
RTintera  Offline OP
Wiseguy
Make no mistake- dispite its flaws, I love the Valachi Papers (the book, of course). But there are SO many times I wish Maas would have asked Valachi for more detail. My favorites:

1. Valachi says that a later time he'll talk about how Tony Bender "got his", but that he wasn't losing any sleep over it. He never does, or if he did it was edited out. That was a pretty big oversight because I've never read anything about Bender that said anything but "he walked out of his house and was never seen again".

2. The murder of Steve Franse. Wasn't Valachi a bit annoyed that they would do the deed in his restaurant kitchen when they already had Franse in the car to bring him to the restaurant? They murdered him, and then had to drag him back outside to his car and drive him away. We'll never know...

3. What happened to the 3 painters working in the ground floor apartment who they lined up against the wall prior to shooting Joe Baker? Buster said "come here, Joe". Nice.

I got more, but that rant will do for now. wink

Last edited by RTintera; 01/20/09 12:28 PM.

Rich T

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mother is the best bet and don't let Satan draw you too fast.
Re: The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights [Re: RTintera] #529227
01/20/09 02:42 PM
01/20/09 02:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
All autobiographies and "as-told-to's" are self-serving. Mob autobiographies and "as-told-to's" are notoriously unreliable on top of that, for obvious reasons. Valachi's revelations were sensational at the time, but Valachi was a basic workin' stiff Mob guy, without much access to higher-ups. Maybe he really didn't know what happened? Or, maybe Maas didn't think the info was important enough to include--or his editors took it out?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights [Re: Turnbull] #529405
01/21/09 07:16 PM
01/21/09 07:16 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I read somewhere that some of Valachi's revelations were actually spoonfed to him by the FBI.

Anyone else hear that? That could explain some of the discrepancies and loose ends (along with the fact that he was after all a criminal, albeit not a very successful one). I also read suspicions that he was an informer before the prison incident in Atlanta..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights [Re: Lilo] #529414
01/21/09 08:08 PM
01/21/09 08:08 PM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy
Originally Posted By: Lilo
I read somewhere that some of Valachi's revelations were actually spoonfed to him by the FBI.

Anyone else hear that? That could explain some of the discrepancies and loose ends (along with the fact that he was after all a criminal, albeit not a very successful one). I also read suspicions that he was an informer before the prison incident in Atlanta..

I remember that being talked about in a documentary. The FBI used Valachi to reveal info that they got illegally, wiretaps I guess. The explaination was since it was a congressional hearing and not a court of law that it was ok.

Ron

BTW - Since the subject came up, anyone seen the movie with Charles Bronson? Any good? Remember reading somewhere that it was pretty horrible.

Last edited by ledblimp; 01/21/09 08:18 PM.
Re: The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights [Re: ledblimp] #529475
01/21/09 11:42 PM
01/21/09 11:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
During the Hoover years, the FBI gathered a lot of information from illegal wiretaps and other electronic surveillance. They couldn't use it in court, but they'd use it to confront a criminal or potential witness and make them dance to their tune. So, yes, it's entirely possible the FBI used Valachi to reveal what they couldn't reveal in a Senate hearing without revealing their illegal surveillance.

Much as I admired Charles Bronson, "Valachi Papers" wasn't one of his best vehicles. It was a cheap production, and it shows: in once scene, set in the early Thirties, Valachi is driving a '34 Ford at night--and is passed by a '70's-vintage Ford station wagon. In a later scene, he's driving a '40 Buick, and a modern Checker cab passes by. At the opening of the famous Apalachin NY Mob conference, the title says, "November 1957"--and the cops show up in '59 Fords. tongue

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Valachi Paper- Maas's oversights [Re: Turnbull] #530000
01/26/09 08:44 PM
01/26/09 08:44 PM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy

Valachi is driving a '34 Ford at night--and is passed by a '70's-vintage Ford station wagon. In a later scene, he's driving a '40 Buick, and a modern Checker cab passes by. At the opening of the famous Apalachin NY Mob conference, the title says, "November 1957"--and the cops show up in '59 Fords. tongue [/quote]

That's funny....

Maybe they figured people interested in Mob stuff wouldn't notice....

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull