GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 379 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,259
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,523
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,400
Posts1,060,206
Members10,349
Most Online911
4 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32624
09/13/05 08:40 PM
09/13/05 08:40 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Suppose Tom Hagen was still around in GFIII, and Michael had decided that he wanted out. Do you think Hagen would have approved of Michael making Vincent Don of The Corelone family?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32625
09/13/05 08:43 PM
09/13/05 08:43 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Well, Tom was no big fan of Sonny as Don, so you have to assume that he'd be opposed to Vincent for the same reasons.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32626
09/13/05 08:49 PM
09/13/05 08:49 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Good question, DC. It's hard to say, isn't it? Tom loved Sonny more than anyone. I think that Tom and Sonny truely had a brotherly connection. He might've loved to see his brother's son rise to power and live out the future that his brother was denied.

However, Tom also was frustrated with Sonny's temper and knew that it had the potential to be his undoing. I would imagine that it would upset him that Vincent had inherited that temper from his father. I think, as cautious and well-schooled as Tom was in complete and total discretion, he probably would not be happy with Michael's choice.

Was that vague enough for you??

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32627
09/13/05 11:04 PM
09/13/05 11:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
"Caution" is right, SB! Tom was ever-disapproving of violence, hot-headed moves, anything that might jeopardize peace. He wasn't always right, as we saw. But Vincent personified everything he was against. No way would Tom have approved of Vincent. But if Michael tapped Vincent, Tom would have gone along because he was the most loyal of Michael's subordinates.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32628
09/14/05 03:31 AM
09/14/05 03:31 AM
Cardiff
B
Benny Roastbeef Offline
Wiseguy
Benny Roastbeef  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Cardiff
If Michael had more sons then Vincent would never even have come into the equation. Vincent was a bigger head ache than Sonny becuase he was far less respectful. Hagen would never have approved.

But just to repeat myself I feel the fact Michael never found another lady and had more children is one of the most unrealistic things about the 3rd film.

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32629
09/14/05 05:01 AM
09/14/05 05:01 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
I think he would not have approved the choice. Hagen loved his adoptive family members, but this would have never obscured his judgment. The Corleone family was meant to end with Michael. I think Vincent would only speed the decline and fall of Corleones empire. It would have been interesting to investigate if Michael had to witness this. Maybe witnessing the decline of the family which he sacrified everything for was the last straw.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32630
09/14/05 06:10 AM
09/14/05 06:10 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Well I happen to agree with all of you.

Tom, took after Vito in many ways. He was by Vito's side day after day. And he learned a lot from Vito. The one strong trait that he picked up from Vito was to never think with your heart when it came to the business. Never make a hasty decision. A lawyer with one briefcase can do more then 100 men with guns. So Tom would have recognized immedeatly that Vincent was not the person for the job.

So then who do you think Tom would have reccomended, who would have been the right person to run the family? Who really was capable?

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32631
09/14/05 06:29 AM
09/14/05 06:29 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
So then who do you think Tom would have reccomended, who would have been the right person to run the family? Who really was capable? cool
Connie????? grin grin

Seriously, nobody. After Michael, nobody.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32632
09/14/05 06:36 AM
09/14/05 06:36 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:

Seriously, nobody. After Michael, nobody.
Then the Corleone family would have been no more. So in a way Michael may have been right in picking Vincent. At least with Vincent there was still a chance to preserve the family.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32633
09/14/05 06:42 AM
09/14/05 06:42 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Then the Corleone family would have been no more. [/QB]
that's the way I see it. No more Corleone family as a mafia empire.

Originally posted by Don Cardi:So in a way Michael may have been right in picking Vincent. At least with Vincent there was still a chance to preserve the family.: [/QB]
yes, I think Michael had no other possible choice, but he knew it would have meant the end of the Corleones. What a shame! We shall not know how the whole thing was actually going..... frown

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32634
09/14/05 07:13 AM
09/14/05 07:13 AM
Greece
Don Al DeBrando Offline
Associate
Don Al DeBrando  Offline
Associate
Greece
I think Hagen would've approved, however, AFTER the appropriate training that Vincent HAD to undergo, as he is not exactly like his father, like everybody says. Sure he had the obvious temper of his father, but he also has Fredo's sensivity, and Michael's calm manner, and Vito's simple strategy. As Garcia himself has said, Vincent is the combination of all the sons. Like all the sons were combined Vito, Vincent was supposed to be all his uncles and father combined. And being an illegitimate Corleone enhanced his upbringing, as Vito was never a Corleone until named so when coming to America. Vincent was named Corleone by Michael when they came to Sicily.

Its a parallel that I think Coppola would've made more obvious, had he had:

1) Duvall as Hagen back
2) A small rewrite of the original script that had Tom in, in order to make it more detailed like its predecessors.
3) TIME to film the movie, time that was taken away from him for the damn Christmas release. I'd rather see this movie a year later, and complete, then the -still great- incomplete film. Had it been COMPLETE, and as Coppola first imagined it, it would surely be a much more serious enemy in the Academy Awards.

Anyway, that what I think would've been, IMO.

A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32635
09/14/05 09:35 AM
09/14/05 09:35 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Originally posted by Don Al DeBrando:
And being an illegitimate Corleone enhanced his upbringing, as Vito was never a Corleone until named so when coming to America. Vincent was named Corleone by Michael when they came to Sicily.
Nice thinking! Never thought of that.

Welcome to the boards btw! You'll have a good time here. smile

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32636
09/14/05 10:20 AM
09/14/05 10:20 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Don Al,

Excellent interpretation. You bring up some very valid points.

Welcome to the boards.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32637
09/14/05 10:33 AM
09/14/05 10:33 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Excellent point Don Al.

I have written extensively about what role Tom Hagen would have played in GFIII, including the idea that he would have never allowed Mike to get tricked by the Church and the Immobiliare people. I do not think he would have approved of Vincent at all, however, had Mike not been screwed by the Vatican there would have been no need for all the bloodshed at the end, and thus no need to elevate Vincent to be the Don.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32638
09/14/05 10:34 AM
09/14/05 10:34 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Benny Roastbeef:
But just to repeat myself I feel the fact Michael never found another lady and had more children is one of the most unrealistic things about the 3rd film.
I'm not surprised. As Michael got older, he got colder and more calculating, more manipulative. I believe Michael loved Kay before Sicily, and definitely was "hit by the thunderbolt" by Apollonia. But after she was killed and he returned to the US, he had given in completely to his hard-edged, cold, calculating nature. I think he may still have loved Kay at that time, but he was primarily interested in her as a symbol of his grand scheme for legitimacy: a WASP from a respectable family who would bear his children and make him look like a regular businessman. After he threw Kay out, he basically had no more time--or feeling--for a wife.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32639
09/14/05 10:57 AM
09/14/05 10:57 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by dontomasso:
Excellent point Don Al.

I have written extensively about what role Tom Hagen would have played in GFIII, including the idea that he would have never allowed Mike to get tricked by the Church and the Immobiliare people. I do not think he would have approved of Vincent at all, however, had Mike not been screwed by the Vatican there would have been no need for all the bloodshed at the end, and thus no need to elevate Vincent to be the Don.
Are you implying that George Hamilton did not do a good job protecting Mike! eek lol

Geroge Hamilton to replace Robert Duvall. What was there a two for one sale on actors that week? Give me a break. It was a slap in the face to the character of Tom Hagen. I despise him in that role. They should have given him the Cannoli! ohwell

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32640
09/14/05 11:08 AM
09/14/05 11:08 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

George Hamilton rose to fame by heavy advertising on subways and busses in New York "Been Injured? No Recovery
No Fee! Call 1-800- SUN TANS or visit our website at www.shysters.com. wink

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32641
09/14/05 11:35 AM
09/14/05 11:35 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Geroge Hamilton ....They should have given him the Cannoli!
lol

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32642
09/14/05 03:08 PM
09/14/05 03:08 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Don Pappo Napolitano Offline
Underboss
Don Pappo Napolitano  Offline
Underboss
Buenos Aires, Argentina
NEVER

Pelé is the King
Maradona is God!
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32643
09/15/05 05:17 AM
09/15/05 05:17 AM
Cardiff
B
Benny Roastbeef Offline
Wiseguy
Benny Roastbeef  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Cardiff
After he threw Kay out, he basically had no more time--or feeling--for a wife.
Maybe he would have been like that for a few years or so....but surely after a while as he starts to mature he would be looking for another relationship...after all he was no fanuc,.. he would've followed on in his fathers footsteps and made sure that he had a large family to hold the family together. Are we supposed to beleive that he spent all those years sleeping alone, pleasuring himself? looking after his children by himself? when he is one of the most powerful men in America?

to me this does not sound plausable.

Bless,

B Roast B

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32644
09/15/05 05:50 AM
09/15/05 05:50 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline OP
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline OP
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
looking after his children by himself? when he is one of the most powerful men in America?
It was Kay who actually wound up looking after the children. Michael mentions this in the opening scene of GFIII when he is wrting the letter to his children.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32645
09/15/05 07:48 AM
09/15/05 07:48 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Are we supposed to beleive that he spent all those years sleeping alone, pleasuring himself?
You don't need to be married to have sex. It is very plausible to me that Michael spent the rest of his life alone. It fits him. His soul was sort of petrified, so was his heart. But this doesn't mean he vowed to chastity. He is a Sicilian, after all!!! grin

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32646
09/15/05 07:59 AM
09/15/05 07:59 AM
Cardiff
B
Benny Roastbeef Offline
Wiseguy
Benny Roastbeef  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Cardiff
He is a Sicilian, after all!!!
Exactly...surely somewhere along the line he would have left a seed in the earth, or found a lady who he wanted to settle down with.

I appear to be the only one who thinks this...

ah well..

Bless,

B Roast B

P.S also there must some Clemenza juniors running around somewhere....surely they would be better than that hole Vincent

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32647
09/15/05 08:09 AM
09/15/05 08:09 AM
Underboss
Underboss
....surely they would be better than that hole Vincent
Poor Vincent....everybody hates him.....

PS. I don't hate him. He's too cute. grin

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32648
09/15/05 11:43 AM
09/15/05 11:43 AM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
I feel the fact Michael never found another lady and had more children is one of the most unrealistic things about the 3rd film.
He didn't re-marry because he still really loved Kay. I think that as he got older he hoped that she would come back to him.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32649
09/16/05 04:07 AM
09/16/05 04:07 AM
Cardiff
B
Benny Roastbeef Offline
Wiseguy
Benny Roastbeef  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Cardiff
thats a lot of years to be waiting for one woman.

it makes Michael seem a bit soppy doesnt it?

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32650
09/16/05 08:30 AM
09/16/05 08:30 AM
New Jersey
don vencent Offline
Underboss
don vencent  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
I do not hate vincent he lost his hotheaded temper by
the end of the movie.

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32651
09/16/05 12:12 PM
09/16/05 12:12 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Not to mention his girlfriend

Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? #32652
09/16/05 12:54 PM
09/16/05 12:54 PM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
I don't think Tom would have approved of Vincent because he was just like Sonny and Tom and Sonny buttheads on a lot of different topics, so for that reason alone I think Tom would have highly disapproved of Vincent

[Linked Image]
Joe Batters

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!
Re: Would Hagen Have Approved Of Vincent? [Re: Joe Batters] #397704
06/03/07 07:31 PM
06/03/07 07:31 PM
Alexander Kokotas Offline
Wiseguy
Alexander Kokotas  Offline
Wiseguy
I agree with Don Al DeBrando, Vincent had potential. He wasn't just Sonny reincarnated, he was Vito all over again - just a Vito who never saw his father and brother die because of temper.

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull