GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, British), 157 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,184
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,909
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The script in GFII #32470
09/09/05 10:52 PM
09/09/05 10:52 PM
Sorentino Offline OP
Button
Sorentino  Offline OP
Button
In the official script, Sandra Corleone, who is sonny's wife, plays lots of roles in GF II.

But none of that made it to the movie. Anyone know why?

One scene there is Tom and Sandra kissing each other in the mouth.

http://imsdb.com/scripts/Godfather-Part-II.html
control+F Sandra and you see she is in the script alot.

Re: The script in GFII #32471
09/09/05 11:23 PM
09/09/05 11:23 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Tom supposedly had an affair with Sandra, and Michael said something to the effect of "You can take your mistress with you..." But it wasn't kept in the final cut.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: The script in GFII #32472
09/10/05 12:54 AM
09/10/05 12:54 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
Tom supposedly had an affair with Sandra, and Michael said something to the effect of "You can take your mistress with you..." But it wasn't kept in the final cut.
Michael did tell Tom that he could move himself "and your mistress" to Vegas in the boathouse scene that made the cut of GFII. But there was no indication that it was Sandra. In fact, Sandra appears only in a deleted scene (one of the best) with her daughter Francesca and her fiancee, Gardiner Shaw.
Probably the simplest explanation for the non-appearance of the Tom/Sandra affair (and all the other stuff that appeared in earlier scripts that didn't make the cut) is that they would have complicated the plot, and lengthened a film that was already pushing the envelop for both complexity and length.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The script in GFII #32473
09/10/05 01:13 AM
09/10/05 01:13 AM
Sorentino Offline OP
Button
Sorentino  Offline OP
Button
Well, i'm actually happy this whole affair of Sandra/Tom didn't make it through the final editing.

I mean, Tom, as loyal to his step brother Sonny, would have never had a relationship with his wife.
Tom Hagen would've been a different and careless man if this continued, dont you think?

Re: The script in GFII #32474
09/10/05 09:32 AM
09/10/05 09:32 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I agree 100% that it's better this wasn't in the final script. The novel especially shows how grateful Tom was to Sonny for taking him in; what kind of scumbag would he be if he screwed around with his stepbrother's widow??

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: The script in GFII #32475
09/10/05 09:47 AM
09/10/05 09:47 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
What would make him a scumbag was that he was screwing around on his wife, not that it was with Sandra.

You could argue that it was very compassionate of him to want to look after Sandra, the widow of his stepbrother.

If you died, wouldn't you feel good to know that your widow was in the good hands of someone you knew and could trust?

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The script in GFII #32476
09/10/05 10:04 AM
09/10/05 10:04 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
[b] Tom supposedly had an affair with Sandra, and Michael said something to the effect of "You can take your mistress with you..." But it wasn't kept in the final cut.
Michael did tell Tom that he could move himself "and your mistress" to Vegas in the boathouse scene that made the cut of GFII. But there was no indication that it was Sandra. In fact, Sandra appears only in a deleted scene (one of the best) with her daughter Francesca and her fiancee, Gardiner Shaw.
Probably the simplest explanation for the non-appearance of the Tom/Sandra affair (and all the other stuff that appeared in earlier scripts that didn't make the cut) is that they would have complicated the plot, and lengthened a film that was already pushing the envelop for both complexity and length. [/b]
Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation, Turnbull.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: The script in GFII #32477
09/10/05 10:10 PM
09/10/05 10:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I am glad that they did not include a Tom and Sandra thing in the GFII.

Makes me wonder about FFC though. Originally having a Tom and Sandra affair written into GFII and then having two cousins, Vincent and Mary having a relationship in GFIII. The guy just may be into some kinky shit! lol

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The script in GFII #32478
09/10/05 10:23 PM
09/10/05 10:23 PM
Sorentino Offline OP
Button
Sorentino  Offline OP
Button
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
I am glad that they did not include a Tom and Sandra thing in the GFII.

Makes me wonder about FFC though. Originally having a Tom and Sandra affair written into GFII and then having two cousins, Vincent and Mary having a relationship in GFIII. The guy just may be into some kinky shit! lol

Don Cardi cool
Cousin relationships count as incest, don't they nowadays?
In FFC's times when he was young, especially traditional cities like Sicily, cousin's marrying each other wasn't bad at all. I remember my father telling me how his friend married his 1st cousin.

Re: The script in GFII #32479
09/14/05 04:11 PM
09/14/05 04:11 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I never understood the whole mistress thing. It seems so out of character for Tom. He was a lot like Vito...very straight laced, and by the book when it came to sexual matters. He was also very discreet and I just find it not believable that he would have a mistress.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The script in GFII #32480
09/14/05 10:23 PM
09/14/05 10:23 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Sorentino:
[QUOTE]...Cousin relationships count as incest, don't they nowadays?...
There's the actual scene from GFIII, where among other things Michael & Anthony are trying to talk Mary out of this relationship with Vincent. I believe one of the things Michael says is, "Mary...he's your first cousin!"

Mary, being the bright one she is, replies: "I love him, dad."

Sure it was incest. I'll really never know why FFC chose to incorporate such a ridiculous subplot into GFIII.

Of course...I'll never know why FFC chose to do alot of things with regard to GFIII...!!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The script in GFII #32481
09/15/05 06:09 AM
09/15/05 06:09 AM
Sorentino Offline OP
Button
Sorentino  Offline OP
Button
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by Sorentino:
[b] [QUOTE]...Cousin relationships count as incest, don't they nowadays?...
Of course...I'll never know why FFC chose to do alot of things with regard to GFIII...!!!

Apple [/b]
Yeh exactly, i don't even wanna go there with the mistakes in GFIII

Re: The script in GFII #32482
09/15/05 07:02 AM
09/15/05 07:02 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Originally posted by dontomasso:
He was also very discreet and I just find it not believable that he would have a mistress.
You HAVE to be discreet when you have a mistress!! tongue

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The script in GFII #32483
09/15/05 07:29 AM
09/15/05 07:29 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Sure it was incest. I'll really never know why FFC chose to incorporate such a ridiculous subplot into GFIII.
I think you (not specifically you, Apple, but you members of the BBs) are generally too strict on this matter. In my opinion the word "incest" relates more to parents/children and brother/sister relationships than to cousins. Two first cousins can legally marry (at least here in Italy they can)and they can even do it in church, if they are given a special permission by the Church. Plus it's very true that marriages between cousins were not such a rare occurrence in older times, especially (but not esclusively) in Southern Italy.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: The script in GFII #32484
09/15/05 07:04 PM
09/15/05 07:04 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[QUOTE]...my opinion the word "incest" relates more to parents/children and brother/sister relationships than to cousins. Two first cousins can legally marry (at least here in Italy they can)...
If you're blood relatives, it's incest.

King Henry VIII in order to be able to do away with his second wife Anne Bolyn, had her put on trial for among other things, sleeping with her brother.

Mary & Vincent were 1st cousins. Their fathers were brothers. Incest.

Whether or not it's ok to marry (at least in Italy) isn't really the main point. The main point is that FFC had a myriad of subplots/relationships within the Corleone circle to explore and write about. A love affair between two cousins, one of them a fabricated bastard, the product of an extramarital affair who shouldn't have even been welcome into the family but nevertheless eventually became DON CORLEONE...was frankly a waste of good writing talent.

Apple

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The script in GFII #32485
09/15/05 08:30 PM
09/15/05 08:30 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Why shouldn't Vincent have been welcomed into the family?

He was still Michael's nephew, regardless of the fact that he was the product of an extra-marital relationship.

I agree that it was rather farfetched that he became the Don, but still, he was Michael's nephew.

Re: The script in GFII #32486
09/15/05 08:52 PM
09/15/05 08:52 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Personally I had no objections to FFC introducing Sonny's illegitimate boy and his coming into the Corleone family. What I did object to, as I've said earlier, was how FFC RUSHED him from this street thug to the Don. More scenes should have been shot showing us how Michael was schooling/grooming him for the leadership role. It would have been better to see scenes like that than all the ones we were shown involving him and Mary. No doubt GFIII was a rushed movie, and it showed. FFC could have done so much more with the Vincent character, the son of one of the most fan favorite characters of the original Godfather.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The script in GFII #32487
09/15/05 08:55 PM
09/15/05 08:55 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I believe one of the things Michael says is, "Mary...he's your first cousin!"

Mary, being the bright one she is, replies: "I love him, dad."
The line that she says in that scene, one which I remember so vividly because I thought it was such a week line, is "Then I love him first!" [Linked Image]

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Re: The script in GFII #32488
09/15/05 11:14 PM
09/15/05 11:14 PM
Warsaw
Joe Batters Offline
Capo
Joe Batters  Offline
Capo
Warsaw
At the begining of the script why was Don Cicci's name changed from Don Francesco....the part when Vito's mother was pleading for his life she calls him Cicci and it says Francesco in the script. anybody know???

[Linked Image]
Joe Batters

Aspanu summon the all of the chiefs
DEATH TO ALL WHO BETRAY GIULIANO!
Re: The script in GFII #32489
09/16/05 07:45 AM
09/16/05 07:45 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by plawrence:
Why shouldn't Vincent have been welcomed into the family? He was still Michael's nephew, regardless of the fact that he was the product of an extra-marital relationship....
True, he was still Michael's nephew. But Michael also had other nephews, such as Connie's children and at least one other son from Sonny & Sandra's marriage (did they have any more besides the twin girls?).

So even with the introduction of Vincent into the story, and Anthony having no interest in the Family Business...I've posted here in the past that it might've made a MUCH more interesting and believable story for him to at least rival his legitimate cousins and brother for the top spot in the family.

Instead of this ridiculous love story subplot. Vincent could've been welcomed into the family, sure. But with his character came many possibilities/subplots that went unexplored; in favor of a dopey affair with his cousin, whom he eventually gave up to become Head of the Corleone Family.

And Michael pretty much declaing, "Allright, you can be Don if you promise never to see my daughter again...", is another pretty unbelievable conclusion to have been reached.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The script in GFII #32490
09/16/05 08:33 AM
09/16/05 08:33 AM
Underboss
Underboss
A love affair between two cousins
is not such a rarity, believe me. It can happen. It happens. It's life. Maybe FFC decided to add this event for dramatic purpose. It doesn't annoy me at all.

one of them a fabricated bastard, the product of an extramarital affair
OMG, you are merciless, Apple! eek smile I would never dream to call an illegitimate child "a bastard", he's a child, that's all!

who shouldn't have even been welcome into the family
OMG, he was SONNY's blood, after all! eek

Re: The script in GFII #32491
09/16/05 08:36 AM
09/16/05 08:36 AM
Underboss
Underboss
More scenes should have been shot showing us how Michael was schooling/grooming him for the leadership role. It would have been better to see scenes like that than all the ones we were shown involving him and Mary. No doubt GFIII was a rushed movie, and it showed.
I absolutely agree, DC.

FFC could have done so much more with the Vincent character, the son of one of the most fan favorite characters of the original Godfather.
That's the only reason why I could stand for a GF4!!! smile

Re: The script in GFII #32492
09/16/05 09:17 AM
09/16/05 09:17 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
True, he was still Michael's nephew. But Michael also had other nephews, such as Connie's children
I always had the impression that Michael was not too enamored of Connie's kids ("Do you know that your oldest son Victor was arrested in Reno on some petty theft charge?").

Plus, if you were Michael, do you think you could have trusted the son(s) of a man you had killed?

That might have even made a better plot for GF III: The revenge of Carlo's sons, over the objections of Connie, her loyalties torn between her children and her brother.

Re: The script in GFII #32493
09/16/05 11:21 AM
09/16/05 11:21 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
[b] True, he was still Michael's nephew. But Michael also had other nephews, such as Connie's children
I always had the impression that Michael was not too enamored of Connie's kids ("Do you know that your oldest son Victor was arrested in Reno on some petty theft charge?").

Plus, if you were Michael, do you think you could have trusted the son(s) of a man you had killed?

That might have even made a better plot for GF III: The revenge of Carlo's sons, over the objections of Connie, her loyalties torn between her children and her brother. [/b]
Too bad we don't know anyone with a flair for writing who had once started a Godfather sequel.... [Linked Image]

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The script in GFII #32494
09/16/05 11:59 AM
09/16/05 11:59 AM
The 5th circle of hell
Don Smitty Offline
Underboss
Don Smitty  Offline
Underboss
The 5th circle of hell
That might have even made a better plot for GF III: The revenge of Carlo's sons, over the objections of Connie, her loyalties torn between her children and her brother.
That would have made a good story.

DS

I woke up this morning with nothing to do and went to bed with only half of it done.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
http://www.stjude.org/
Re: The script in GFII #32495
09/16/05 07:45 PM
09/16/05 07:45 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
[QUOTE]...I always had the impression that Michael was not too enamored of Connie's kids ("Do you know that your oldest son Victor was arrested in Reno on some petty theft charge?"). Plus, if you were Michael, do you think you could have trusted the son(s) of a man you had killed?...
All the more reason why the inclusion of Connie's children, as well as Sonny's son Frank (half-brother of 'the bastard') could have made for a far more interesting family dynamic than the stupid incestual affair we got. Just your statements above, plawrence...suggest the exciting story that could've come out of such turmoil.

Lavinia from Italy...I am sure that affairs and even marriages between 1st cousins happen all the time (especially as you suggest, in Italy). However as history has proven in the case of GFIII, such affairs do not necessarily make for good movie entertainment.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: The script in GFII #32496
09/16/05 11:15 PM
09/16/05 11:15 PM
home of the wildcats, kentucky
belle Offline
Wiseguy
belle  Offline
Wiseguy
home of the wildcats, kentucky
Okay the girl from Kentucky is going to have to chime in on the kissin cousins topic. Seriously I know a lady whose parents were 1st cousins, her parents had five children, one was mentally retarded, one died in infancy from something related to inbreeding, and the others all have mild retardation and/or extra fingers and toes. No joke. ohwell

So we should be thankful that Mary got whacked and that there are no retarded, extra fingered Corleones running amuck.

Winegardner sleeps with the fishes.
Re: The script in GFII #32497
09/16/05 11:25 PM
09/16/05 11:25 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
All true, Apple.

I only took exception to your statement that Vincent was "a fabricated bastard, the product of an extramarital affair who shouldn't have even been welcome into the family."

Seems rather coldhearted and judgemental on your part.

If I found that I had a long lost close relative, I'd welcome him into the "family" with open arms, the product of an illicit love ffair or not. They'd still be my blood.

And Vincent apparently was not even "long lost". Seemingly he'd been in the picture, and accepted by Michael, for a while.

Re: The script in GFII #32498
09/17/05 04:49 AM
09/17/05 04:49 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
And Vincent apparently was "long lost". Seemingly he'd been in the picture, and accepted by Michael, for a while.
Ya think?? Why'd Connie introduce Vincent (to Michael) by saying: "Michael, you know Vincent Mancini -- Sonny’s boy". She not only included his last name but his relationship to the family. I think she was afraid Michael wouldn't know who Vincent was.

Re: The script in GFII #32499
09/17/05 06:08 AM
09/17/05 06:08 AM
Sorentino Offline OP
Button
Sorentino  Offline OP
Button
From Sandra in GF II being left out to incest relationships and GFIII having flaws.
Gone off topic dont ya think tongue

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull