GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 249 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,916
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,330
Posts1,058,776
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What if Fredo were competent? #526409
12/27/08 07:26 AM
12/27/08 07:26 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
(Per Book)The Don liked to say that each man has but one destiny.
But what if he were wrong. What would have changed in the Family if Fredo had been able to successfully defend his father at the fruit stand?

What if instead of mishandling his gun and watching his father get shot, Fredo had been able to shoot or kill at least one of the gunmen and prevent his father from being seriously wounded?

If the Don were still in control, does Sonny go on his roaring rampage of revenge? mad
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RoaringRampageOfRevenge

Does the war among the Families still happen?
Does Fredo start to get more respect from everyone?
If Fredo is still around and doing well there's no reason to send him out west..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Lilo] #526415
12/27/08 11:31 AM
12/27/08 11:31 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Vito's tome sounds alot like predestination which I guess it is. But it's actually non-sensical because who knows what the destination is meant to be if meant at all.

Yes, if Fredo had been more competent, he could have upset Sollozzo's and Barzini's applecart. Vito wopuld have been alerted and Sollozzo would have been out of th epicture since Barzini would have considered him a liabilityat that point since the Corleones were still at their peak. More importantly, Vito would have remained in control and Sonny not. Fredo would have indeed earned respect for his defense of his father and playeda larger role i the family. Thus, Puzo would have had to rewrite his plot and FFC would not have produced a sequel.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Lilo] #526420
12/27/08 01:57 PM
12/27/08 01:57 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: Lilo

If the Don were still in control, does Sonny go on his roaring rampage of revenge? mad

No, because Vito would still be in charge. Vito would want to settle scores, but not via an all-out war.
Quote:
Does the war among the Families still happen?

Probably not. But it's a thoughtful question, Lilo. If Vito survived, it'd still leave the big picture unresolved: can one Don block the drugs business for all the Dons? I envision that, after the attack failed, Sol would go underground and Tatt would run to Barzini in panic. Barzini would call for a sit-down with Vito and propose a "political" solution: Sol got "impatient" with Vito and acted "on his own." Tatt, because he vouched for Sol, owes Vito an indemnity--he has to whack Sol and perhaps pay cash to the Corleones or give them some of his non-prostitution business.
BUT: Barz also would tell Vito that there's so much money in drugs that nothing will stop it--"just look how this nobody, Sollozzo, took it on his own to try to kill you, and he almost succeeded. There's going to be nothing but trouble ahead unless you agree to let us draw the water from the well..." Tom would support that view because that's what he believed from the beginning. I'm guessing that Vito, mindful of the disaster that would have befallen his family if he'd been killed, would reconsider his opposition to drugs.
Quote:
Does Fredo start to get more respect from everyone?

Definitely--starting with his father.
Quote:
If Fredo is still around and doing well there's no reason to send him out west..

Maybe. Vito evidently had designs on Nevada, as attest his giving Moe Green money to finish his hotel. He probably didn't send Fredo out west because had little confidence in him. If Fredo had saved his life, perhaps Vito would have had more confidence in Fredo, and given him a "real" job to explore out west. Maybe he would have proven himself (to Vito) tough enough to stand up to Moe.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Turnbull] #526463
12/28/08 06:48 AM
12/28/08 06:48 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I agree with what you both said. Another wrinkle could be that with the Don in charge , Sonny doesn't get whacked eventually, which means that Michael is still free to pursue his non-criminal dreams.

Or even if Michael does take over later somehow, Fredo has more self-confidence/self-esteem as a result of his actions and is not jealous of Michael or the weak link among the brothers.

Or maybe it's even Fredo, not Sonny, who goes ballistic and starts hunting down Sollozzo and his crew. It would have been an interesting spin if it were Fredo who was really the Crouching Moron Hidden Badass smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Lilo] #526662
12/30/08 01:09 PM
12/30/08 01:09 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Just because Fredo botched the defense of his father, it would have taken quite a bit of marksmanship and luck to kill or wouund two assassins who were already running at Vito with guns drawn. Assuming Fredo pulled it off, or even if the Don wound up slightly wounded, there's no doubt he would have gained respect, but I think the Don already knew that Fredo was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. At the end of his life when he tells Michael that he knew Santino would have to go through "this" and that Fredo was "well......" Vito kept Fredo close to him as a factotem and body guard, sort of, because he was his son and he wanted to make him feel important even though he had absolutely no say in how the family business was run. Even when he was in the room for important meetings (i.e. with Sol) he kept his mouth shut.

Hey come to think of it keeping quiet was smarter than what Sonny did at that meeting. Maybe he was smaht.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: dontomasso] #528783
01/17/09 02:03 AM
01/17/09 02:03 AM
RTintera Offline
Wiseguy
RTintera  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Just because Fredo botched the defense of his father, it would have taken quite a bit of marksmanship and luck to kill or wouund two assassins who were already running at Vito with guns drawn. Assuming Fredo pulled it off, or even if the Don wound up slightly wounded, there's no doubt he would have gained respect, but I think the Don already knew that Fredo was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. At the end of his life when he tells Michael that he knew Santino would have to go through "this" and that Fredo was "well......" Vito kept Fredo close to him as a factotem and body guard, sort of, because he was his son and he wanted to make him feel important even though he had absolutely no say in how the family business was run. Even when he was in the room for important meetings (i.e. with Sol) he kept his mouth shut.

Hey come to think of it keeping quiet was smarter than what Sonny did at that meeting. Maybe he was smaht.

Somewhere in GF2 Michael mentions "Fredo's men". I think it was the only hint that Fredo actually had a crew. Seems kind of far-fetched, given Fredo's portrayal.

Rich T

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mother is the best bet and don't let Satan draw you too fast.
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: RTintera] #528884
01/17/09 09:35 PM
01/17/09 09:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
To keep him happy, Michael may have given Fredo a token "crew," but instead of being killers or racketeers, they were probably helping him with his "Mickey Mouse nightclub" activities. The guy who ran the brothel where Neri murdered the hooker pmost likely was one of them.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Turnbull] #528889
01/17/09 10:23 PM
01/17/09 10:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
If Fredo was competent, then that could change the whole complexion of things. Even if Vito still was shot, Sonny would have had Fredo as one of his resources and who can say how that might have affected the way Sollozzo acted. Sonny being hot for his deal alerted Sollozzo because he considered both Fredo and Michael non-factors. He gets rid of Vito and he only has Sonny to deal with. Fredo being competent changes the landscape.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: olivant] #528940
01/18/09 02:23 PM
01/18/09 02:23 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Good point, Olivant. As you know, in the novel Sol tells Tom that he specifically ordered his men not to harm Fredo--"Fredo is alive because of me." Tells me he had discounted Fredo even before the bullets started flying. Fredo acting competently would have thrown Sol off.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: olivant] #528997
01/18/09 07:14 PM
01/18/09 07:14 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: olivant
If Fredo was competent, then that could change the whole complexion of things. Even if Vito still was shot, Sonny would have had Fredo as one of his resources and who can say how that might have affected the way Sollozzo acted. Sonny being hot for his deal alerted Sollozzo because he considered both Fredo and Michael non-factors. He gets rid of Vito and he only has Sonny to deal with. Fredo being competent changes the landscape.

Excellent point olivant.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Don Cardi] #529006
01/18/09 08:29 PM
01/18/09 08:29 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
I don't know, this what-if-question is a little irritating. It's like asking "What if Vito was incompetent?"

Vito: C'mon, Fredo, it's christmas eve, tell Paulie to drive me to Tat's Micky Mouse Club in the Bronx. Let's have some fun.
Fredo: Look, Pop, Paulie called in sick this morning. I don't trust Tattaglia. I smell a rat.
Vito: I teach you how to do the sandwich...
Fredo: Stop it, Pop, please, let's ... (He's being interrupted by two gunmen who seem to appear out of nowhere, he pulls the gun, shoots them down, looks at his hands, they don't tremble.) Let's buy some oranges, I'll drive you home. And tomorrow I'll take care of Paulie.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Turnbull] #529008
01/18/09 09:01 PM
01/18/09 09:01 PM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Good point, Olivant. As you know, in the novel Sol tells Tom that he specifically ordered his men not to harm Fredo--"Fredo is alive because of me." Tells me he had discounted Fredo even before the bullets started flying. Fredo acting competently would have thrown Sol off.

The only reason Fredo is there driving his father because he is not compotent. If Fredo had a more important position in the family, I would doubt that they would both (he and Don Vito) would be left out in the open.

The Turk not killing Fredo served several purposes. Yes, it is probable that Solozzo discounted Fredo as a factor, but he also did not want to "drive" the Corleones "over the top," however the situation might have been different if Fredo wasn't the one driving the car.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Danito] #529071
01/19/09 01:45 PM
01/19/09 01:45 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Danito
I don't know, this what-if-question is a little irritating. It's like asking "What if Vito was incompetent?"

Vito: C'mon, Fredo, it's christmas eve, tell Paulie to drive me to Tat's Micky Mouse Club in the Bronx. Let's have some fun.
Fredo: Look, Pop, Paulie called in sick this morning. I don't trust Tattaglia. I smell a rat.
Vito: I teach you how to do the sandwich...
Fredo: Stop it, Pop, please, let's ... (He's being interrupted by two gunmen who seem to appear out of nowhere, he pulls the gun, shoots them down, looks at his hands, they don't tremble.) Let's buy some oranges, I'll drive you home. And tomorrow I'll take care of Paulie.

lol clap
This could go on and on....What if Michael wasn't a ruthles bastard...

Tom - Roth was turned away by Israel. He's gonna try Panama next.
Mike - Geeze Louise, Tom ya think they'll let him in?
Tom - Not Sure Mikey, but something's been weighing on me. NEri already knows this, but I turned down a job offer at a hotel chain. I was thnking of moving my wife and mistress there.
Mike - Tom, what you do is your own busines, but really if you'd like to stay here that would be really swell.
Tom- Thanks Mike. What do we do about Fredo and Pentangeli?
Mike - Fredo is so weak and helples. Neri, just take him fishing when he wants to go. I'm not worried about him anymore. And poor Frankie... fooled like that into squealing. Pooe bastard. Tom, at least fly to that prison and give him a god Cuban cigar and let him know I will personally take care of his family.
Tom - Once Panama turns Roth down he'll go to Miami.
Michael - I want that plane met.
Tom - There will be all kinds of security.
Michael - Rocco?
Rocco - Difficult, but not impossible.
Michael. Forget it, Rocco. You are too valuable to me. Roth' an old man. He can't last much longer, just let it go.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: dontomasso] #529077
01/19/09 02:07 PM
01/19/09 02:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
...and on into III:

CONNIE: You remember Vincent Mancini--Sonny's boy?
MICHAEL: Vincent! How great to see you! Take my daughter...please!

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Turnbull] #530141
01/28/09 11:48 AM
01/28/09 11:48 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

And further:

Harrison - Now we had a deal. This was just supposed to be a
formality!
Gilday - Please, gentlemen remember you're in the Vatican!
Michael - The archbishop is right. The deal had to be ratified by the pope, and now he's dying. Come on, Harrison, lets go find Andrew Hagen, go out for some pasta and wine and forget this Immobilire thing...what the hell...you win some you lose some.

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: dontomasso] #530143
01/28/09 12:43 PM
01/28/09 12:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Now, that would be something: Michael Corlone saying, "You win some, you lose some." lol

Re: What if Fredo were competent? [Re: Turnbull] #530212
01/29/09 12:50 PM
01/29/09 12:50 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Now, that would be something: Michael Corlone saying, "You win some, you lose some." lol

lol That's Michael on Prozac.

Other examples:

"You want to leave me and take the kids to New Hampshire? Fine. How much child support and alimony do you want?"
"Sollozo has to kill pop. That's the key for him. They want a meeting. It'll be me, Sollozo and McCluskey. Tell them I want it in a bar or a restaurant where I'll feel comfortable. I can't have a weapon on me then because they'll frisk me. But if I can find a way to excuse myself from the table, then Clemenza, or Tessio, or even you Sonny can run in and kill them both. After all I am not going to be in the family business."
Green - He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time!
Michael - Oh.... well that's different. Fredo you shouldn't have done a thing like that. You know Pop disapproves.

Michael - Pop thats what I was always trying to tell you when you kept after me to go into the family business. No way I can do politics with this family name, but Kay and I are thinking of moving to Boston and start up some kind of think tank for social justice. Can you spare me a few million?

Michael - Is there anything else you can tell me about this committee?
Fredo - Questadt...the lawyer... he belongs to Roth.
Michael - Thanks Fredo, you've been a big help. Stick around.

Michael - What are you doing with my daughter?
Vincent - What do you think?
Michael - I know, I know... just be careful.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull