GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 87 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? #523023
12/03/08 11:37 AM
12/03/08 11:37 AM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline OP
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline OP
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy
I remember reading this story but can't remember in what book. Goes something like this:

Gambino conspired with Costello/ Luciano and Lansky to take out Genovese by first embarrising him with Apalachin.

Gambino was sent knowing that the cops were tipped off about the meeting and that he might have'ta take some lumps but the reward was he would definatly take over Anastasia's spot. Gambino wanted Vito out of the way cause he did'nt trust him and was willing to take some chances.

The group then set him up with the drug frame and Cantaloups (SP?)as the witness.

I've read the drug frame part in a couple of different books but remember the Apalachin story in only one so far but can't find or recall which book.

Anyone know?

Thanks
Ron

Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: ledblimp] #523028
12/03/08 12:34 PM
12/03/08 12:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
The drug frame part is accurate but I've never read anything about Gambino knowing in advance that the place would be raided. I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way, but I'd be surprised if it was true.

Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: SC] #523380
12/05/08 09:56 PM
12/05/08 09:56 PM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline OP
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline OP
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy
Originally Posted By: SC
The drug frame part is accurate but I've never read anything about Gambino knowing in advance that the place would be raided. I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way, but I'd be surprised if it was true.

For the life a me I can't remember what book it was in.....yeah,have wondered about it since that was the only time I ever read that part.......

Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: ledblimp] #523615
12/07/08 09:52 PM
12/07/08 09:52 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
As SC said, the drug part is true. No way Gambino would have set up the meeting to be busted. He was Genovese's protege, and he needed the meeting so that the other dons would anoint him as head of the family formerly headed by Albert Anastasia, whose murder (arranged by Genoves) put Gambino in the Donship.

In "Tough Jews," Rich Cohen surfaces a BS story that Meyer Lansky dropped a dime on the Apalachin meeting. BS! Lansky would never bit some 60-odd pairs of hands that fed him. But he did conspire with Costello in that Cantellops drug deal that put Genovese away.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: Turnbull] #523704
12/08/08 06:33 PM
12/08/08 06:33 PM
Lompac Offline
BANNED
Lompac  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
But Gambino would want Genovese gone as they both had their vision of being Boss of Bosses. From a little boy, Gambino always wanted to reach the heights.

Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: Lompac] #523714
12/08/08 07:12 PM
12/08/08 07:12 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Like others I've read about the setup of Genovese but never read anything about anyone knowing of the trooper raid ahead of time.

First and Fourth Amendment interpretations were different back then but it always seemed sort of odd to me that some police thought they had the right to set up roadblocks or raid the gathering. My understanding is that none of the men there were convicted of anything..

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: Lilo] #523715
12/08/08 07:16 PM
12/08/08 07:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo
My understanding is that none of the men there were convicted of anything..

Just a few crimes against fashion.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Does this Gambino/ Luciano story ring a bell? [Re: Turnbull] #523722
12/08/08 08:04 PM
12/08/08 08:04 PM
Cesena Italy
L
ledblimp Offline OP
Made Member
ledblimp  Offline OP
L
Made Member
Cesena Italy
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
As SC said, the drug part is true. No way Gambino would have set up the meeting to be busted. He was Genovese's protege, and he needed the meeting so that the other dons would anoint him as head of the family formerly headed by Albert Anastasia, whose murder (arranged by Genoves) put Gambino in the Donship.

In "Tough Jews," Rich Cohen surfaces a BS story that Meyer Lansky dropped a dime on the Apalachin meeting. BS! Lansky would never bit some 60-odd pairs of hands that fed him. But he did conspire with Costello in that Cantellops drug deal that put Genovese away.

What I remember of the story is that it was either Lansky or Costello, on orders from Lucky, who tipped off the cops.....Gambino wanted Vito outta the way cause, even though he helped Carlo rise up, he knew he could trust him about as far as he could throw him. The whole intent was to make Vito lose face and therefore easier to take him out.

I thought the story was in Last Testament of LL but re-read that a couple of months back and no...so got curious as to where I did read it. It was several years ago and at the time I was getting alot of books on the subject from the library so I may not actually have it. Whether true or not I'm just wondering what book I read it in.

If I should run across the story again I'll post the name of the book.

Ron

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull